Add on Valves

Owenfamily

Just thought I would get around to posting these two parts in case anyone wants to order them and install them. I called heartland and ordered through them with the part numbers given ahead and also got my 10% for being HOC member. The red one is part number DVH-1-A. The item number for heartland is 18908 and the blue part number is DVW-1-A and item number is 38190. You can do this yourslef for about $150 or find a good repair shop and they will charge you about $250 with your two parts.

DVH-1-A.jpgDVW-1-A.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did you install yourself? Tell us how to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gasman

Camp Socializer
The blue one is the winterizing valve and the red one is the water heater bypass valve.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, the elkRidge and other less expensive 5vers do not have the bypass valves in the UDC, like the LM, BC, BH, GW....

We get to crawl into the basement and go behind the wall to get to the valves....

So I'd love to see how to add these valves in the UDC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

57chevyconvt

Are you adding or replacing 3-way valves in the UDC? Either way, I personally would not use the 3-way valves from B&B Molders, because of the problem with valve handle to valve stem engagement is of improper design. You can purchase 1/2" NPT bronze 3-way valves via Amazon.com for ~ $30 each. I prefer the Apollo brand of 3-way valves with metal handles. You can search for my post with pictures on this subject. Just sharing some replacement experience. BTW - I would also use the PEX brass pipe to plastic tubing fittings rather than the plastic PVC or CPVC fitting normally supplied with the B&B Molders valve stations.

olcoon

That looks interesting, I'd love to have an easier way to winterize our Elk Ridge! Ours may be somewhat different than the Dorsey's, as I've got to remove a panel below the fridge turn the 3 valves, then get behind the bulkhead in the basement, turn 2 more valves, & then put a hose into the anti-freeze to siphon it into the system. Kind of a PITA, but it works. Would love to have an easier way!

MdMike

That looks interesting, I'd love to have an easier way to winterize our Elk Ridge! Ours may be somewhat different than the Dorsey's, as I've got to remove a panel below the fridge turn the 3 valves, then get behind the bulkhead in the basement, turn 2 more valves, & then put a hose into the anti-freeze to siphon it into the system. Kind of a PITA, but it works. Would love to have an easier way!
The valve under the fridge is the water heater and the valve behind the wall is the winterizing valve.

I just found this fall how difficult it was for the winterizing of my 5th wheel Elkridge. So in a few more weeks when I prep for my first trip I will be cutting the access panel in the basement wall, adding a hinge and a few barrel bolts to the piece I cut out, and making it easier to access the pump/valves for the winter. I also found that one of the hose clamps leaked a bit when I winterized so when I de-winterize I can tighten that as well. Cost of this project will be less then $20!

Gary521

Mike, I have a Bighorn and do not have the winterizing setup in the UDC. I removed the panel that covers the Bypass valves in the basement. The attachemet for this panel is quite cheesy anyway. My first attempt at doing this was to add a small board that attaches to the back of the UDC panel. To this board I attached a couple of hinges and then attached the cover panel to the hinges. To the opposite end of the panel, I attached a simple twist lock to keep the panel from opening. This design proved to be poor because I had to crawl into the basement to get to the open end of the panel. To fix this, I took off the hinges and removed the hinge pin. I replaced the hinge pin with a spring pin ( hitch pin ). Now to remove the panel to get access to to bypass valves, I simply remove the spring pins and then remove the panel. By removing this panel, I can reach the bypass valves and winterizing valve. I also have access to the water pump.

Owenfamily

Erika,

Sent you a pm.

If anyone else needs help send me a pm and I will send you my number. Wish I had more time to look at the froms but busy season at work.

David

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Are you adding or replacing 3-way valves in the UDC? You can purchase 1/2" NPT bronze 3-way valves via Amazon.com for ~ $30 each.

I found the brass (or bronze) 1/2" 3 way valves once and now I can't seem to locate them again.

Do you have a link, or a part number? Thanks, Trace

57chevyconvt

Thanks Harry, that is the valve that I was making reference to. Thanks for providing the amazon.com link. The 3-way bronze valves are also available at <globalindustrial.com>, item # WB31545, price in May 2011 was $20.00 each +S&H.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thank you guys.
I'm going to order 2 of these. I've already had one of the plastic ones crack and I had to bypass it. Trace