Added LED Lights to Back of Bighorn

Oregon_Camper

Winter camping is great, but for those of us still working full time jobs, that means leaving on Friday around 5pm and therefore we are always backing into a site in the pitch dark. So, I added 2 LED lights to the back of the Bighorn and it makes a HUGE difference.

Check out the YouTube video here.
https://youtu.be/17jwWCK3iMg

Or read the Blog first and then go to video :)
https://www.rvwiththetanners.com/single-post/2017/11/23/New-Lights-for-Backing-Up-Security

Happy to answer any questions...

Alan_B

Wow, that adds a lot of light!

Even more impressive is the 3-receiver rear hitch. Any more details on that?

Thanks

Garypowell

Great project and implementation.

I think the only thing you should add would be an indicator light in your rig. This way you don’t leave the lights on all night by accident or conintually have to peak out to remind yourself each time you use them.

Oregon_Camper

I have also added LED back up lights but wired them to activate when truck is put in reverse only.Dont have to worry about leaving them on at camp site.
I thought about wiring to 7 way plug, so they would come on in reverse. However we camp in some VERY remote locations so I wanted to have the ability to use them if I need to light up camp for any reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Wow, that adds a lot of light!
Even more impressive is the 3-receiver rear hitch. Any more details on that?

What would you like to know about the hitch? I designed it to to carry my Yamaha WR450 motorcycle (dirt bike). I use the outside 2 receivers to carry the motorcycles rack. I had the rack modified as well, with 2 inserts. This all but eliminated the rocking motion. I have my Furrion camera pointed down a bit more when I carry the motorcycle, so keep an eye on it. I added the center receiver just in case I wanted to use a standard rack, but I have never used it.

I love it so much, I did the exact same thing on the custom hitch on the front of our F-350, to carry my wife's Yamaha TTR-230.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am curious why you went with an externally mounted light when there are flat mount leds that you could have installed in the bumper? I do like the extra light on the rear and wonder why they only put them on toy haulers. I have done what you did on a couple of our rigs in the past but just went with a water proof switch on the j wrap to turn them on and off.

Oregon_Camper

I am curious why you went with an externally mounted light when there are flat mount leds that you could have installed in the bumper?

For my needs, I wanted the flexibility to fine tune where I pointed the LED. I can easily rotate these up/down as they are mounted to an adjustable bracket. For left/right movement, I used a 5" u-bolt to attach the mounting bracket to my bumper. This allows me to adjust the outward/inward direction for the light. Once I get this dialed into the prefect spot, I'll apply some Loctite and never worry about it again.