Air hitches

danemayer

Hi Bonnieflaherty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

We have a Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver hitch that has airbags and shocks. It does a very nice job. If you have any thoughts of every getting a heavier coach, you might consider its big brother, the TS3.

There's been a recent debate running over whether to get the airbags and shocks on the hitch, or on the pinbox. While there are a lot of people happy with the air hitches, there are also a lot of people happy with air pinboxes. The pinbox solution costs less. But when you sell/trade your trailer, you'll either have to put back the original pin box and hope the air pin box fits your next trailer, or buy a new one. I"m sure you'll hear more about this shortly.

slborba

I have the Hensley TS3 TrailerSaver hitch and the Lippert Trail Air Kingpin. I did this because of the very extensive research I did on multiple RV forums (including this one) for over 4 years. Do your research on both the hitch and pin products......but I'm positive you wouldn't think twice that you spent the money on the air products after you've pulled your FW a few thousand miles.

Steve

ILH

X2 for the BD3 hitch. Been very happy with it. As was stated, when I sell my trailer, I won't have to worry about buying another setup.

Jim.Allison

X3 there is no hitch like the BD3, I rarely feel my trailer pulling behind me, my whole rigs rides like a Cadilac. As far as weight is concerned, its 3 lbs heavier than a conventional set up with a pin box system such as a More/Ryde and reese hitch. If you add sliders the BD3 is 17 lbs heavier than the reese with tube slide type rails. The major plus it that when you sell or trade, you won't lose your system. It is effective too. Youtube has some videos that people have made and I think that TrailerSaver/hensley has one that you can access from their sight.

Pizzaguy

The air hitch is money well spent. I have had the TrailAir /TriGlide pin box on the the Bighorn for a couple of years. It was a big help, but I just added a Trailer Saver TS3 to the truck and it made a huge difference. They are not cheap but really worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jim.Allison

If you are starting out fresh and not replacing then the price difference is not that great. It is hard on your wallet if you are replacing a hitch. However I have seen new BD3s for 1500 on craigslist. I have also seen used ones in pretty good condition for $900, and shabby ones for 250. IF a guy is handy he can probably rebuild one fairly easy.

The air hitch is money well spent. I have had the TrailAir /TriGlide pin box on the the Bighorn for a couple of years. It was a big help, but I just added a Trailer Saver TS3 to the truck and it made a huge difference. They are not cheap but really worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

szewczyk_john

I have the BD3 with a slider frame. I managed to find mine used and got a great deal on it. I had never towed with any other fifth wheel hitch until I drove a buddies. He had the regular old standard hitch and what a difference it made. I hooked his trailer to my truck and I can promise that the hitch can make a world of difference. My reason for posting is to also mention that the BD3 breaks down into manageable pieces if you need to remove it from the truck. I do not leave the hitch in the truck as I use it for hauling other stuff. With my size and two teenagers it was never an issue to pick it up and store it. However, with one away in the military, one involved in so much senior year activities, I sure was glad I could break it down the last time I had to remove it.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I use the Hensley TS3 with my Landmark and love it. If you have a lighter weight coach the Hensley BD3 would be a good choice also. Very solid built hitches and great performance.

marvmarcy

FWIW: The following hitches are NOT suitable for pickup trucks.

There are two hitches, one for hdts and the little brother for bigger mdts, that are the most sturdy on the market. The ET air hitch for class 7 and 8 trucks only and ET Jr for class 6 mdts.

Side note: My ET air hitch saved us from serious injury or death when our 20,000 fiver was rear-ended by a Silver Eagle bus on I-70 near St.Louis three years ago. Most hitches couldn't have aborbed the tremendous impact without breaking and letting the fiver slam into the truck cab. The bus got towed (front end caved in) but we drove away (although trailer was later called a total loss).

Jim.Allison

I have a BC, the BD3 is completely adequate for that rig, and total weight of hitch and slider is comparable to any other set up. I think I measured 3 lbs without slider and 17 with slider all things being equal. The bigger the hitch, the more payload you have to dedicate to it. Do not fall victim to the heavier is better scenario. Well built and appropriate is what you want no matter what system you choose.
We are looking to buy a new hitch for our big country fifth wheel. Someone suggested we look at an air hitch. What is a good one?