Albuquerque to Gouldings at Monument Valley

scottyb

I have my route set for the end of the month. The only questionable section is the easiest route and best roads from Albuquerque to where we are staying, Gouldings. We will be staying overnight and leaving from American RV Park on the west side of ALB. One route wants to take me through Gallip and the other goes through Farmington.

Lynn1130

Albuquerque to Gallup is I-40 and a 4 lane road. I am not sure if you are trying to go I-25 out of ABQ to 550 and then to Farmington but that route is going to be a lot of 2 lane. I-40 to Gallup and then 491 to Shiprock and then 63 to Kayenta and then north is still 2 lane but at least it takes out some of the 2 lane and the route from Kayenta north is a scenic route and one that you see photos of in most travel and road magazines.

On the other hand if you want the full Monument Valley experience go I-40 to 371 (Farmington turnoff) and go north from there then 64 west to Shiprock to Kayenta and north. I suggest not driving the two lanes on the Res after dark.

scottyb

Albuquerque to Gallup is I-40 and a 4 lane road. I am not sure if you are trying to go I-25 out of ABQ to 550 and then to Farmington but that route is going to be a lot of 2 lane. I-40 to Gallup and then 491 to Shiprock and then 63 to Kayenta and then north is still 2 lane but at least it takes out some of the 2 lane and the route from Kayenta north is a scenic route and one that you see photos of in most travel and road magazines.

On the other hand if you want the full Monument Valley experience go I-40 to 371 (Farmington turnoff) and go north from there then 64 west to Shiprock to Kayenta and north. I suggest not driving the two lanes on the Res after dark.

Great. For some reason 491 was not given as an option on google maps. It appears to be a divided 4 lane all the way from I-40 to Shiprock. That would make about 2/3 of the total distance on 4 lane roads. Thanks for that information

Mrsfish

Great. For some reason 491 was not given as an option on google maps. It appears to be a divided 4 lane all the way from I-40 to Shiprock. That would make about 2/3 of the total distance on 4 lane roads. Thanks for that information
491 is efficient but not necessarily nice. Be aware of potential wind problems, the fact that this road travels through the Navajo nation and therefore you slowdown every 20 miles or so for schoold busses, small towns, crossroads, or slow slow drivers. The road has a lot of bump, so just be prepared. It's probably the best way to get to Shiprock, but by no means a 'good' drive.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
My trip from Albuquerque to Goulding's went like this. I had no problems. First off I will try to stay off of interstates as much as I can. I am in no hurry. I have found that many if not most highways other than Interstates are easier to travel, smoother, have less traffic. I have not had a problem with my 38ft Bighorn. So this is how I went. American RV Park is the nicest in the area. I have photos if you're interested.. The route I took was I25, I40, 550, 64, 180, 163 to Gouldings.

I would load a photo of the map I used and photos of the campgrounds but I can't upload photos any longer on this forum. I can every where else. I have used compatible mode for a long time with no problems.

FWIW
BC

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use 550 from Albuquerque to get to Durango, Co. We have no issues with that road. Wide shoulders, pretty scenery for some of it, not much traffic at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

491 is efficient but not necessarily nice. Be aware of potential wind problems, the fact that this road travels through the Navajo nation and therefore you slowdown every 20 miles or so for schoold busses, small towns, crossroads, or slow slow drivers. The road has a lot of bump, so just be prepared. It's probably the best way to get to Shiprock, but by no means a 'good' drive.

Thanks for that. That reminds me of a route I try to avoid in OK.

Mrsfish

Thanks for that. That reminds me of a route I try to avoid in OK.[/QUOTE

Please don't take me wrong. I would definitely take this road and I do almost every year when we go to durango. Just don't want you thinking it's the equivalent of a 4 lane highway. It definitely has it's quirks. The wind this June brought up the sand and we were driving in a haboob. Couldn't see the car in front of us, but couldn't stop as there's basically no shoulder. Fortunately it's not that long.

scottyb

My trip from Albuquerque to Goulding's went like this. I had no problems. First off I will try to stay off of interstates as much as I can. I am in no hurry. I have found that many if not most highways other than Interstates are easier to travel, smoother, have less traffic. I have not had a problem with my 38ft Bighorn. So this is how I went. American RV Park is the nicest in the area. I have photos if you're interested.. The route I took was I25, I40, 550, 64, 180, 163 to Gouldings.

I would load a photo of the map I used and photos of the campgrounds but I can't upload photos any longer on this forum. I can every where else. I have used compatible mode for a long time with no problems.

FWIW
BC

This is shown to be the quickest route but only by a few minutes. One of the route possibilities takes you near Canyon de Chelly. Anybody ever visited this National Monument? Is it worth a small detour and is it something you could see w/o unhitching? It looks like a mini Zion in the photos.

Mrsfish

I don't know how long you will be in the area, but one of the most fascinating places I have ever visited was the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, just to the east of Cortez. If you have the time you won't be sorry. And there is a rv park at this National park.

scottyb

I don't know how long you will be in the area, but one of the most fascinating places I have ever visited was the Mesa Verde cliff dwellings, just to the east of Cortez. If you have the time you won't be sorry. And there is a rv park at this National park.

Unfortunately not near long enough. I have to be at Lake Havasu on 10/9 for a boat race. I have been to Mesa Verde with my parents in the 60's. I will save that for another trip. I am a big fan of cliff dwellings.

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 17