Aluminum Wheels

I was just at Lippert on Tuesday 13 Sept. on the tire wear issue on my 2011 BC 3450TS.
I have the Sailun tires from China.
I was told by Bruce Bailey that Goodyear is looking into the wheel issue causing tire wear.
He was sort of surprised that I didn't have Goodyear tires and had the wear problem, I guess the owners having wear problems, took the Goodyear option.
That being said, I think it takes the tire MFG out of the picture.
I did have the 8K axles installed in June after the rally.
If the axles are installed properly, that leaves only wheels.
I was told by Jerry at Lippert that my inside dual tire on my truck will wear faster than my outside tire, because the inside dual is on a steel rim, and the outside is Aluminum. The steel wheel does not flex like the Aluminum does.
I don't know, but I did get it in writing that Bruce Bailey said ( he told me in person ) the axles were not the cause of the tire wear, the offset wheel was. This was signed by Jerry Bruhett (spelling) the LCI representative.
I was also told the tires should start to wear even and I wouldn't have a blowout because of this.
I did get the TST tire monitor system.
Time will tell.
Dave, how did you make out with your slide room problem, on the Big Horn?
You were heading to Heartland the last I talked to you.

Hockster

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Gary, the root of all the slide problems was an incorrectly installed "slide bar" on the bottom of the slide. It was installed on a bias, out about a 1/4 inch. Heartland fixed that, then back to Lippert and they installed a new slide ram and two end caps as well as changing out four shackles.
All is well now.

Peace
Dave

jimtoo

Hi Hockster,

What kind of truck do you have that has two different kinds of wheels on it? I have never heard of any manufacture putting different kinds of wheels or mixing wheels on a truck. How could you rotate tires to get max tire life?

Jim M

rebootsemi

Hi Hockster,

What kind of truck do you have that has two different kinds of wheels on it? I have never heard of any manufacture putting different kinds of wheels or mixing wheels on a truck. How could you rotate tires to get max tire life?

Jim M

This is done alot, all of our F350's had steel wheels on the inside rear. Never noticed that the inside tires wore out any faster than the outside. I've also seen class 8 trucks with steel wheels on the inside. IMHO I do not believe that the tire wear is caused by the aluminum wheel flexing, ain't buying it.....

Urban350

My DRW F-350 never wore any differently inside and out, I have had 2 with the alum./steel combination.

hoefler

This is done alot, all of our F350's had steel wheels on the inside rear. Never noticed that the inside tires wore out any faster than the outside. I've also seen class 8 trucks with steel wheels on the inside. IMHO I do not believe that the tire wear is caused by the aluminum wheel flexing, ain't buying it.....

Agreed!! You are being fed a line of B.S.!! You have an alignment issue!

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
One more thing to consider. If the wheel is flexing then that means the wheel is running continuous in an egg shape and you would loose seal on the bead.

GOTTOYS

This defies logic! Why isn't every trailer with the same wheels having this problem? The axles maybe installed properly but does that mean they were manufactured with the right amount of camber? Why not get the alignment checked ? I give up.....Don

Hi Jimtoo.

I have a 2011 F350 with 13,000 miles on it.
I ordered this truck last Oct. took me 8 weeks to get it.
The inside dual is a steel rim.
I have put my magnet on it, and it sticks.

Hi jmgratz.

I'm not trying to spread anything, just passing on what I was told.
Does not mean I believe it, but they did give it to me in writing that it is wheels, not axles.
Where do you go for answers, and who do you trust.
Wouldn't you think the MFG and installer would be the place to start?
I would have thought they would have done a laser alignment for me, just to check.
I know they have the equipment.
This was not done.
I live in Southeast Michigan, 60 miles Northeast of Detroit.
Can anyone recommend a trustworthy shop in this area that can check the alignment.
I've spent 2 days, 8hrs round trip driving time, fuel and campground fees to Goshen, IN. for this answer.
I don't want any tire problems, but right now, I don't know where to turn or who I can trust.
It sounds like I'm not alone with this problem, we all want correct answers.

Hockster

lwmcguir

Thanks everyone for the input on the Aluminum Wheel issue, we have the new 8k axles and all new tires and will be checking the tires wear when we get to Texas.

If you are going to travel quite a bit this is the way to go. It was the best upgrade we have made.

lwmcguir

We have ran alloy wheels since they came out. Never had any wear issues due to a wheel unless it was bent.

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Just curious, has anyone had their alignment checked after they had the upgrade to 8k axles, and if so, what was the results and where did you have it done at?

lwmcguir

In the midwest most larger cities have a truck/trailer shop that will align all types of trailers. Used them in the past to correct alignment issues on GN stock/flat bed trailers we use. I have found out over the years that if we stay with heavier axles/wheels/tires our problems are almost non existant. We havent checked ours (8K) other than measuring since the upgrade. Tires are wearing perfectly so don't have any need to do so. I did put the orginal tires/wheels on a FB trailer that we use to haul Skid Steer's which loaded are about the same as the Augusta was. Tires and wheels are holding up fine there.

GOTTOYS

If the tires are wearing good I wouldn't align it either. I have never had a car or truck aligned in my life! I watch how the tires wear and if they're good I leave it alone. Why waste the money, the condition of the tires tells the story....but on the other hand if the tires aren't wearing evenly, the alignment is almost always the reason.....Don

I took my Big Country into a place called Clydes Frame and Wheel, in Pontiac, Michigan. (www.clydesframe.com)
This place has been in business for over 70 years, by the same family.
I dealt with the Bob Spurgeon, Grandson of Clyde Spurgeon the founder.
Bob and his son Joe did the work on my rig.
If anyone in or around Michigan is looking for an alignment facility, check out Clydes.
My wheels had a negative camber, causing wear on the inside of the tire.
They did an alignment and I'm now good to go.
So much for Lippert and the Aluminum wheel issue.
Bob also told me, they are seeing frame cracking around the spring shackles, on some of these big 5ers.
As a routine check, you may want to check your frame in these areas for cracks.
I had some additional bracing installed on mine.

Hockster

Herbiesrig

North Central Region Directors-Retired
We just made an appointment with a heavy duty trailer repair shop in Appleton, Wisc to have our trailer checked out,..It just irriates me that one has to spend so much money to make sure that their trailer is safe to drive on the open highways... upgraded axles and new tires and what ever else. This is just about as bad as our healthcare system.