Annual Maintenance

funntheson

I have a Bighorn unit on order. I am looking through a current Camping World ad, and am surprised to see suggested annual maintenance offerings that add up to over $1500.

What do most of you do as annual maintenance, and where do you generally have it done?

noobee

I do most myself. The only thing I have done is the annual bearings & brake adjustment. Usually costs around $200.

CS

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on what your level of involvement you want and skills you have. Camping world is in buisness to make money. Like any buisness. Your dealer might offer some level of maintenance at a lower price.
It depends also on what you do with your rig. If you put 3,000 miles per year, you may be able to skip some things. For example the mfg. recomends repack of bearings once per year or 12,000 miles. Personally at 3k per year I would skip that part.
If your mechanical skills are pretty good, with your hydraulic leveling system, bearing repack and brake adjustment would be pretty easy.
Checking caulking should be done regularly. It is a visual inspection and recaulking is not rocket science. Although it can be an art.
Owning a torque wrench is something all RV'rs should own. Learn how to use it.
These are just some things I can think of and are just my opinion based on what I am capable of doing. Everyones level of skills and involvement will differ. So it's a judgement call on your part.
Is your new rig due to arrive soon? You are doing the right thing by asking questions.
Ahh, anticipation.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I do all the maintenance myself unless it is something that takes tools I don't have or can borrow. Things like packing the bearings and brake adj. your automotive garage can do. Any other stuff a dealer can do. Do some price shopping you will find CW to be very expencive in my opinion. Well now I see Dave made a post just before me so what Dave says I agree also!!

Last edited:

funntheson

Hey Dave, due to our requesting the Pecan cabinets, etc, I don't think they will even start building our unit for a couple more weeks.

So, yeah, anticipation is high, and I am trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime. I appreciate everyone's willingness to share their knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

I'm not only surprised at a cost of $1500 for annual maintenance, I'm flabbergasted. I guess I could see some of that high cost if I were maintaining a tag-wheeled diesel motorhome with oil changes, fuel filter changes, brake inspections, appliance rebuild, wash/wax/polish, etc., but I can't imagine charging that much for something without a motor. Even with a motor--and all associated costs--I couldn't come up with why they would charge that much. But, those big buildings aren't free.

funntheson

It's not a $1500 package, but when you add up all the seperate suggested services:

Water Heater service-$70
LP inspection-$100
Rubber roof maint-$350
Generator oil change-$60
Winterization-$85-150
Water System inspection-$100
Wheel Bearing packs-$140-350
Refrigerator service-$80
generator service-$130
Electrical system inspection-$100
Appliance/accessory inspection-$100
Furnace service-$130

I am pretty new here, is there somewhere that you veterans of the rv world walk us newbies through some of these service (with pictures) so we can learn to do more of these items on our own?

I know there are probably books available, but they wouldn't be specific to our units.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Fun, lets go down the list:

1. $70 to clean out the water heater and replace the anode. You can buy an anode for $13 at lowes and flush out the tank for free.
2. $100 to get soapy water in a spray bottle and check all the LP lines.
3. $350 to walk on the roof and check all the chalking and apply if needed at $12-13 a tube
4. do you have a genset?
5. you live in calif......winterization.....maybe.
6. $100... do you have any water leaks? I think you would know that and can fix them yourself.
7. $140-350. will your coach have the never-lube bearings?
8. $80 does your fridge work OK?
9. same as # 4
10. $100 to do what...check all the lites and plugs?
11. $100 to do what...make sure they work...you should know if they do or don't
12. $100 to do what ...use compressed air to blow out the burner?

Just my 2 cts. Bob

funntheson

Bob, that's kind of what I figured.

Yes, we will have the Onan 5500 installed in our rig. Yes, we live in Southern California, where Winter means you may have to wear a sweatshirt when you go out (at night). I am not sure if we will have the never-lube bearings.

Thanks for your 2 cts!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Fun, BTW, we are going to have a SoCal rally in April 2011. Wanna come?? Bring the new "HORN and just hang out for 2 days. A nicer bunch of "crazies" you won't find anywhere. Most are full of knowledge and sometimes full of other stuff.

Bob

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Check the pads on the Kodiak Disk Brakes..

For those of you that have the Kodiak Disk Brake system..

I talked to the the people at Kodiak (They are in Fort Worth) about how to stop the disks from rusting while sitting still for about 3 months. I have the Bigfoot Leveling system and they receommend this product to keep the pistons from rusting. I know it is a lubricant, but it will stop rusting and should not effect the brakes. Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant. The Techinal Support said it should not cause a problem.

He also asked me how many miles I have on the the break pads and I told him we did about 10,000 miles on the trailer. He said to replace the brake pads and use the metalic pads rather than the ceramic pads because the ceramic will wear your pads down much more quickly. They are not using the ceramic pads on trailer any more because most people with trailers have their brake controller set high enough where the trailer is used a lot to stop the TV also causing excessive wear. I haven't checked mine yet but plan to do so soon.

For information do a google on metalic vs ceramic brake pads and read some of the items that come up.

BC

Jellystone

What do most of you do as annual maintenance, and where do you generally have it done?
funntheson, Congrats on ordering your new Heartland Bighorn, I know that y'all will enjoy it. On the maintenance issue, I recommend The RV Book by Mark Polk (the RV 101 guy). I bought the book a few years ago and i've read it several times and really have learned a lot. The info is all around/general stuff about RV's and you will be an expert after reading it twice. :cool:

caissiel

Re: Check the pads on the Kodiak Disk Brakes..

Its just my coments I did a while ago on an other thread.
Disc brakes are great when used a lot, but parked, they are more maintenance then Drums.