Anode or custom drain plug on Suburban Hot Water Heater?

danemayer

Bear in mind that teflon tape is an insulator and may affect the electrolytic action needed to prevent tank damage. I suggest you clean the threads with steel wool and a bit of oil and then put a new rod in. If you think that seepage into the threads is causing the rust, then instead of teflon tape, use a liquid pipe compound (available in plumbing supply stores). I use one that has teflon in it. the advantage is that the compound only goes into gaps in the threads. There is metal-to-metal contact on the threads themselves.
If wear on the anode rod is the indicator of electrolytic action, I think everything is working because my anode rod has to be replaced annually.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Anode deterioration seems to vary radically with the hardness of water from one location to another.

I have been here in Kanab for up to 6 months at a time, with very little corrosion on the anode.
In Borrego Springs my anode was destroyed in 6 months. Trace

Last edited:

SeattleLion

If wear on the anode rod is the indicator of electrolytic action, I think everything is working because my anode rod has to be replaced annually.

You are correct. Frequently the threads cut the tape so they make contact. I'm not a plumber, but an old friend who advised me (I did a lot of plumbing work on my last house) advised that the liquid Teflon is best. I've had very good luck with it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just bought a new Mg anode rod (as a spare). The instructions say to put teflon tape on the threads.