another 12 volt ????

Bobby A

Maybe a stupid question for some, but I'm gonna ask it anyway because I'm puzzled. It all started with me changing a simple 12 volt bulb in the wall sconce light in between the kitchen table and the coach on the door side. I blew a couple fuses because everytime I would plug a new fuse in, it would arc and blow the fuse I was trying to install. So I decided to unplug the battery. Hear is my 1st question, if the battery is disconnected should I NOT have 12 volt lighting in the coach ?? The reason why I ask is, I did have some 12 volt lights that would work. I'm puzzled by this, but I'm not an electrician. Back to the arcing and blowing fuses, I discovered that I was useing the wrong bulb !! OOPS !! On the bottom of the original bulb there is 2 round terminals and on the bulb I was trying to put in it only had 1 round terminal, so thats why I think I was arcing and blowing fuses because I had the wrong bulb in there. But still puzzled by the 12 volt lights in the back of the coach coming on even when the battery is disconnected. Someone please give me a lesson in Electric 101.

Thanks in advance

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobby, the lights might be working thru the convertor. Then my next dumb question would be...were you plugged into shore power??? Next dumb statement would be that the bulb you were trying to install with the single contact was blowing the fuse. You can't have 12V+ and ground all at the same time. Just wont work........fuse will go POOOOOOF everytime. Melted many a screw driver trying that. The only upside to that is you can magnetize a non-magnetic screw driver that way. All you need is a piece of 12ga wire and a battery. Wrap the wire around the shaft of the screw driver....touch one end to the positive side of the battery and the other end to the ground. Do this for about 3 seconds and....voila....you have a magnetic screw driver.

Bobby A

Bobby, the lights might be working thru the convertor. Then my next dumb question would be...were you plugged into shore power??? Next dumb statement would be that the bulb you were trying to install with the single contact was blowing the fuse. You can't have 12V+ and ground all at the same time. Just wont work........fuse will go POOOOOOF everytime. Melted many a screw driver trying that. The only upside to that is you can magnetize a non-magnetic screw driver that way. All you need is a piece of 12ga wire and a battery. Wrap the wire around the shaft of the screw driver....touch one end to the positive side of the battery and the other end to the ground. Do this for about 3 seconds and....voila....you have a magnetic screw driver.

Hi Bob,
Yes, I was plugged in to shore power but I did shut down the main breaker to the coach for a minute during this process. So even if the battery are disconnected the lights will work thru the converter ?? If so, that must of been what was going on, my lack of knowledge just told me that if the battery is disconnected I wouldn't have any 12 volt lights. I will go buy the correct bulbs tomorrow with the 2 terminals on the bottom. Maybe the ones I bought with the single terminal on the bottom are for the 12 volt lights in the ceiling, I know I bought them for something, I just can't remember what. Thanks for teaching me how to magnitize a screw driver.

Jimmy

The single terminal bulb is a 1141 and it is for your porch and landing gear lights etc. Good luck...

Bobby A

The single terminal bulb is a 1141 and it is for your porch and landing gear lights etc. Good luck...

O.k. thanks, I'm thinking they may also fit the 12 volts lights thats in the ceiling, the reason why I think that is because I have a box of 10 or 12 of them.

Bobby A

Update,

New day, right bulb, NO PROBLEMS !! No arcing, no blown fuses. Moral of the story, check the bottom of the bulbs and make sure you are installing the correct amount of terminals as the one you are replacing, also same amount of filliments in the bulb. I know, I'm an idiot !!

The End !!

HessRaP

Bobby, I don't believe you're an idiot, just a novice electrician on his way to becoming a journeyman. Good luck and happy camping!