Another Generator Problem

avvidclif

I'm starting not to like my Onan generator. It went a year with no problems. It had and error code 27 and I took it to a service center. They fixed it under warranty. Error 27 covers about everything but the kitchen sink. It seems that if you let it sit too long without running it will generate this code and has to be reset and then all is well. I've been running it monthly to exercise it and each time it will set the code and have to be reset then all is OK. A few days ago a new problem showed up. I started it up to make sure all was well before the cold front hit and got the standard error 27. I did a reset and it started up and all seemed OK. I turned on the breakers and when I flipped the bottom one it immediately tripped and showed error 27. I reset and tried again, same result. The top one didn't trip.

Once the weather warms up a bit I'm going to try and figure it out but thought I would ask for ideas.

porthole

Retired
I'm starting not to like my Onan generator. It went a year with no problems. It had and error code 27 and I took it to a service center. They fixed it under warranty. Error 27 covers about everything but the kitchen sink. It seems that if you let it sit too long without running it will generate this code and has to be reset and then all is well. I've been running it monthly to exercise it and each time it will set the code and have to be reset then all is OK. A few days ago a new problem showed up. I started it up to make sure all was well before the cold front hit and got the standard error 27. I did a reset and it started up and all seemed OK. I turned on the breakers and when I flipped the bottom one it immediately tripped and showed error 27. I reset and tried again, same result. The top one didn't trip.

Once the weather warms up a bit I'm going to try and figure it out but thought I would ask for ideas.

Howlongdidyouletitrunbeforetr

How long did you let it run before switching?
Did you try with all the breakers off on the main panel?

avvidclif

Howlongdidyouletitrunbeforetr

How long did you let it run before switching?
Did you try with all the breakers off on the main panel?

That was the first thing I tried, main breakers off. No go.
It automatically switches after abt 30 sec. Problem is the transfer switch sensor seems to be on the second breaker. It makes me think there is a short on that line from the gen to the ATS. When it warms up a bit I'm going to pull the connections from the gen to the transfer switch and if it still trips the breaker it's back to Onan, again.

asherwin

I had a similar problem last year where the bottom breaker on the genny would trip but not the top one. It turned out to be a worn/sensitive breaker. Replaced the bottom one and all has been well since. I hope your issue is as easy to find and fix.

avvidclif

Since it's a beautiful Christmas Day I decided to look at it further. I disconnected the wires going to the RV. Started the genny and when bottom breaker turned on it set an error code and shut down. Reset the error code and this time started the genny with them on. It set an error code and shut down. It's internal to the generator so back to the shop, it's in warranty.

myla296

There is a way to check to see which code it's throwing, I don't know right now and am currently on my own generator problem, hence my interest in this thread. So, if I remember, I'll search it up again but now need to move on to my sputtering generator. (so, expect a thread of my own soon, LOL)

avvidclif

I have the code listing. It's number 27 which covers everything but low oil. Not real helpful. On the comment by another member about the breaker being bad I ordered one and will replace it before going in for service. It was cheaper than driving 120 mi round trip twice since I would have to leave it. Be here next week, I let you know how it turns out.

porthole

Retired
I have the code listing. It's number 27 which covers everything but low oil. Not real helpful. On the comment by another member about the breaker being bad I ordered one and will replace it before going in for service. It was cheaper than driving 120 mi round trip twice since I would have to leave it. Be here next week, I let you know how it turns out.

Right up there with code 34

avvidclif

Well the new breaker arrived and was installed. No difference. Start gen and turn on breaker and gen shuts down and sets an error code(27). If the gen is started with the breakers on it immediately shuts down and sets a code(27). Off to the repair shop. There is nothing hooked to the output of the gen to cause the breaker to trip.

avvidclif

Not yet. maybe later..... After looking at the schematic I see nothing that would cause the breaker to trip when the gen pigtail is unhooked from the RV. The gen shouldn't even know whether the breaker is on or off if the output side is hooked to nothing. That leaves the short pigtail from the breaker to the junction box outside the gen. I'm thinking is has shorted, has a crimped wire or something. I'm going to see how much of a problem getting to it is before going thru the hassle of warranty service and then they might say the pigtail isn't a warranty item. When better weather gets here.

avvidclif

Last post. With each end of the pigtail disconnected (breaker and rv end) it shows a dead short to ground. Pinched wire somewhere, most likely in the base of the generator. The wire on the RV end has slack and the wire from the breaker won't move at all. I called the local Onan warranty center and got the biggest runaround I've heard in a while. "We'll have to call the factory to see if the pigtail is covered under warranty" and more excuses. To clear the short correctly the generator will have to be removed and the bottom cover removed and a new wire run. Lots of work. With their hemming and hawing I don't trust them to do it right, so I'll engineer it myself. I will try and run another wire thru the conduit and cut off the shorted one. If that don't work I'll run a separate wire from that breaker to the junction box in the RV. In conduit of course.

Waiting on decent weather.

porthole

Retired
Clif, if it that much of a chore to get the dealer to repair I would go with the cut out the old and just run a new line.

But I think i would just disconnect on both ends first, insert a wire loose and try it.

avvidclif

Clif, if it that much of a chore to get the dealer to repair I would go with the cut out the old and just run a new line.

But I think i would just disconnect on both ends first, insert a wire loose and try it.

Probably a good idea. That way if the generator itself has been damaged by the short the old wire is still there to prove where the problem came from.