another oil change question

Bobby A

I have a 07 Dodge Mega cab 6.7 L CTD, SLT package, I have either Dodge dealer or Cummins do my oil changes, I usually go about 7K between changes. My question is, is there a sensor that tells you when the oil needs changing because I get a message on my overhead and a chime for oil change required ?? that is usually around 3 or 4 K miles. Is there a way to set the over head to 7K miles rather than 3 or 4 K ?? The way they told me to reset it is by turning the key to on and pressing the gas pedel down I think 3 times. Just not sure if the chime is telling me the oil is dirty and needs changing or the Chrysler has it automatically chime after so many miles.

Thanks in advance

hoefler

The oil change interval is calculated by your duty cycle and driving habits. Short stop and go trips will cause it to require an earlier oil change, while heavy towing and highway driving will allow for longer oil change cycles. You need change it when the truck tells you to, or 7500 miles, which ever comes first. Short trips cause more Regen cycles and adds to the fuel dilution. If you don't change it when indicated, you can have an engine lubrication problem caused by fuel dilution in the oil. I am on my second 6.7 equipped Dodge, I have never had an oil change indication. I am always towing something, and on the highway. I change oil and filter every 7500 miles, give or take.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobby, I can't tell you for sure how a Dodge works. Someone with a Dodge would know. My Chevy works off of miles or off of hours run. The oil change interval in miles is 7500 and reads in percentages as I get closer to an oil change. I do know that there is not a senser that checks how dirty the oil is. I get a "change oil" message in the speedo cluster.

If you have the owners manual handy....it should tell you how to reset the oil life.

GOTTOYS

There is no onboard sensor that can tell how dirty the oil is. None of the trucks have one. The change oil message is computer generated based on a number of factors related to run time, speed, temperature etc. As far as I know all makes that have this feature use pretty much the data....Don

Bobby A

The oil change interval is calculated by your duty cycle and driving habits. Short stop and go trips will cause it to require an earlier oil change, while heavy towing and highway driving will allow for longer oil change cycles. You need change it when the truck tells you to, or 7500 miles, which ever comes first. Short trips cause more Regen cycles and adds to the fuel dilution. If you don't change it when indicated, you can have an engine lubrication problem caused by fuel dilution in the oil. I am on my second 6.7 equipped Dodge, I have never had an oil change indication. I am always towing something, and on the highway. I change oil and filter every 7500 miles, give or take.

So, what your saying is, when I get the change oil message on the overhead thats when I should change the oil, even if its no where close to the 7K mile interval ?? Thanks very much

Buford445

Best thing to do is ask the Dealer if there is a reset. Let me ask a question and get back to you

GOTTOYS

My Dodge manual says to change the oil no later than every 7,500 miles. My change oil soon warning has been coming on at around the 5,000 mile mark. It varies slightly depending on how the truck has been used. I usually change it then...Don

beardedone

Beardedone
You cannot change the overhead calibration for when the oil change is required. That is controlled by your on-board computers. I change mine after 8000 km or 5000 miles or sooner, depending on what I am doing. I also change my own oil in order to keep those costs down. Mind you, when it is really cold I will take it to the dealer if required.

Buford445

Another thing I do is replace my Fuel Filter EVERY Oil Change (5.9) and water is NOT the Friend of the 6.7!! Cheap Insurance

GOTTOYS

6.7 has a drain valve on the fuel filter canister. You just crack it open for a second to drain off any water. I'm pretty careful where I get my fuel and have never had any water in it. I did change my fuel filter at around 12,000 miles before the cold weather set in, Only filter available is through Chrysler for the 2010-2011 models. Aftermarket is not available yet. $33.95 for a new cartridge and O ring. Yikes!

Bobby A

Another thing I do is replace my Fuel Filter EVERY Oil Change (5.9) and water is NOT the Friend of the 6.7!! Cheap Insurance

The cummins dealer changes it ever oil change but a LOF cost close to 200 bucks, I change it myself every other oil change and do open the drain for a couple seconds to let any water out every few weeks.

GOTTOYS

The cummins dealer changes it ever oil change but a LOF cost close to 200 bucks, I change it myself every other oil change and do open the drain for a couple seconds to let any water out every few weeks.

Whoa! Try another dealer..$90.00 at the Dodge dealer. I don't think they use synthetic for that price. I still thought that was high. There's only one grease fitting on a 2010. They also had a deal for $159.00 I got 3 LOFs. I jumped on that...Don

beardedone

Beardedone
Just for your info if you use synthetic do not assume you can extend your oil change interval. Cummins has stated very plainly that synthetic oil cannot hold any more contaminants than dino oil. However, I do use synthetic in the winter for easier starts (best for engine to get faster lube) but I still change it at the same interval. As an example I haven't been out of town for a week like I normally would and my re-generation indicator on my Insight monitor told me it was in re-gen. That was only after 130 kms. That tells me I will have to change oil sooner as it is obviously getting gummed up with the city travelling and cold weather.

GOTTOYS

Just for your info if you use synthetic do not assume you can extend your oil change interval. Cummins has stated very plainly that synthetic oil cannot hold any more contaminants than dino oil.]

That hadn't crossed my mind. Good point. I have noticed my oil level go up as I put more and more miles on an oil change. Supposed to be normal...Wonder how the self proclaimed AMZOIL experts like to hear this..Don

hoefler

So, what your saying is, when I get the change oil message on the overhead thats when I should change the oil, even if its no where close to the 7K mile interval ?? Thanks very much

Yes, that is what is stated in the owner's manual.

hoefler

Whoa! Try another dealer..$90.00 at the Dodge dealer. I don't think they use synthetic for that price. I still thought that was high. There's only one grease fitting on a 2010. They also had a deal for $159.00 I got 3 LOFs. I jumped on that...Don

My dealer charges $69.99 for oil, filter, lube, 23 point inspection, and top off all fluids as needed. Fuel filter change is $85. Since I bought my truck there, I get 10% off all parts and accessories.

beardedone

Beardedone
Just for your info if you use synthetic do not assume you can extend your oil change interval. Cummins has stated very plainly that synthetic oil cannot hold any more contaminants than dino oil.]

That hadn't crossed my mind. Good point. I have noticed my oil level go up as I put more and more miles on an oil change. Supposed to be normal...Wonder how the self proclaimed AMZOIL experts like to hear this..Don

The Cummins does make oil. This is excess fuel from the 4th injection event which feeds the DPF to burn off contaminates that have accumulated in your exhaust system. There is nothing you can do about that except go the "delete" route, which voids your warranty. That re-generation happens frequently, depending on how you drive.