Anyone else having problems with RAM 3500?

Dean-Pam

I was looking to replace my GMC and was looking at the RAM 3500, but I am rethinking this after reading this post. Don't like the looks of the GM 3500, so I may just hang onto my 2007 for a bit longer. It pulls the 5er just fine, but as we go on longer trips out west, wanted a newer truck for piece of mind.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My 2016 Ram 3500 is on it's first trip to the Colo Rally. Love, love, love this truck. This is my first auto trans and the Aisin is really a nice set up.
I only have 1600 miles on the truck so far, but so far a very pleasant experience!

'Lil Guy'

I only have a little over 3K miles on my 2015 Ram 3500DRW but All is well. Sorry to hear you are having waaaay to many issues. Sounds like you might be a Ford or Chev dealer.lol
You could very well have gotten a lemon. Every brand has a few. There are laws to cover that here in Texas. I just got a recall to calibrate my airbags. They appear to be set to sensitive. Not a big deal. I wouldn't shy away from Ram for one persons misfortunes. With that said, it is a PITA to have to deal with all of that on a new purchase.

Bohemian

I love my Ram 3500 dually. About 8,000 miles since January. A few long trips. Only one defect noticed so far, one failed in door courtesy light has a broken wire. I haven't towed with it yet. I expect it to do fine, lots of power and torque. Tow/Haul; mode works fine. Exhaust brake works fine.

Mburtsvt

I too don’t have any problems with my Ram 3500. Of course I sold it last summer and stepped up to an F350. Whole different animal. I should have kept it for the big truck recall - oh well.

GOTTOYS

Ok guys , I think I just wasn't used to it , it seems fine now , just a little rough , but will try dropping the psi in the rear when not towing . Thanks , I picked up my new cyclone 3110 and drove 860 miles back home with it , and all I can say is I love this truck!! Night and day compared to a bumper pull . Spent a lot of money but hope that both hold up well with some TLC , I also just picked up some Firestone airbags to put on it , what should they be at empty , and under load ?

Couldnt believe when they hooked up the trailer the truck maybe dropped a 1/2 only , now I know why it rides a little rough ! Lol
If it only settles 1/2" when loaded I wouldn't mess with the airbags. They are only meant to level the vehicle out when loaded and it sounds like you don't need them. I had them on my last truck and have to admit I got tired of messing with them..Don

roaddog28

If it only settles 1/2" when loaded I wouldn't mess with the airbags. They are only meant to level the vehicle out when loaded and it sounds like you don't need them. I had them on my last truck and have to admit I got tired of messing with them..Don
I am towing a 3210 Cyclone with a 2003 Dodge 3500 dually. I have no air bags or any mods to the suspension. No problems. Our 3500 tows so much better than our 2500 did.

azbigfoot

I've only had a few issues with my 2013 Ram 3500

1) Water leak around cab brake light. Fixed by dealer

2) Rough ride / chatter around 70 mph ... had the tires balanced but made no difference ... really got bad when I rotated the tires ... dealer ended up doing a road force test (checking the balance while the tire was under load) ... two tires were bad ... replaced and that solved the problem. Make sure you have your tires (new ones) checked for road force balance and have them show you the numbers.

3) The fuel and oil filter usage gauges just didn't seem to read properly. After just 7500 miles the gauge would say the fuel filter needed to be replaced and the oil life was still at 50%. They seemed backward to me. According to maintenance you should change oil every 7500 miles and fuel filter every 15000. I've had four different dealers look at the problem and they all update the computer and then scratch their heads.

cfulton

UPDATE Got my '15 that replaced the "14 lemon stepped up to the 3500 SRW have 4000++ miles now 2000 towing M0 to Tx and back thru the Ozarks and NO issues other than its a fun/joy to drive/tow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAdams

UPDATE Got my '15 that replaced the "14 lemon stepped up to the 3500 SRW have 4000++ miles now 2000 towing M0 to Tx and back thru the Ozarks and NO issues other than its a fun/joy to drive/tow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping for the same. I am wondering, did they just replace it or did you have out of pocket expenses for your mileage on the old truck? Also did you have to take the same build or were you able to change? There are some things that I would like to get rid of since I have had problems with them... ie. fender flares, NAV etc.

violinini1

I have a RAM Laramie Longhorn 3500 SRD with the 6.7 L Cummins Diesel. I have been on trips to Florida twice and have over 24,000 miles on it. No problems whatsoever. While in Florida, I pulled a 38 foot 5th wheel. I pulled like a dream. Plan to buy the Big Horn 3670EL in December, now that I have my truck broke in.

Don

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
We have a 2014 Ram 3500 with 31,654 miles on it. Have towed our 2015 Ashland over 9,000 miles. Did have issues with the tire pressure sensors (they replaced), the navigation went out (they replaced the radio with navigation) but we still love the truck. I drive it everyday to work and I never get tired of going from 40 to 80 about as fast as I would ever want to go. We do have the Aisin transmission and it has no trouble towing the Ashland. Went to Yellowstone and even on the highest grades the truck hardly ever slowed down and the Ashland is not light. Best truck I have ever had.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Loving my 2016 Ram 3500....only have 3800 miles but no issues..This is my first auto trans and took a little getting use to the Aisin Trans...Never had a tow haul on my previous manual Ram's ....wow, what a wonderful truck. Towed from AZ to Colo Rally back to Camp Verde Rally in AZ....this works like a dream. This truck is so computerized it was telling me verbally that I was speeding. It sends and receives text messages verbally as well...ON the way to Colo Rally heading through Castle Rock it automatically rerouted me due to an accident and saved me a lot of time....I didn't have to touch anything, it did it automatically....Everything on the truck is with a verbal command....Still a lot to learn about it....

Posted earlier about lope and shutting off at idle.Dealer figured this out took a while. Cold air mass flow sensor was bad. So far no other issues.

Dennyha

I experienced #14 above, during a drive from Ohio to Wyoming. I stopped at a dealer in Wisconsin, who read the same error code. They performed the software update under warranty. It has worked fine since then.

Posted earlier about lope and shutting off at idle.Dealer figured this out took a while. Cold air mass flow sensor was bad. So far no other issues.

Bring everyone up to date. Truck is back in shop same problem. Called Ram manufacturing complaint line. Waiting on call back. Owned truck 12 months, been in shop at least 8 times for same problem. Not to mention several recalls.

whp4262

Bring everyone up to date. Truck is back in shop same problem. Called Ram manufacturing complaint line. Waiting on call back. Owned truck 12 months, been in shop at least 8 times for same problem. Not to mention several recalls.

Just curious, with all the module electrical problems etc did anyone ever run an alternator ripple test, a/c coupled to see how much a/c current might be getting by the rectifier. This can make modules do some weird stuff. I think a 1v spread was acceptable on the older cars and 1/2v on the newer ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a long talk with Manager of service department last night, here is what he said "we must get it to duplicate problem for us or store a code on what is happening in order to know what and how to fix it". They have truck to drive and repair a recall on front end. Very disappointing to spend this kind of money and have repeated problems.