Anyone having problems mounting 16" Sailuns to 16" stock wheels

wrgrs50s

The reason I'm asking is because a friend wanted some Sailuns but was talked into ordering 14 ply Hercules tires equivalent to the Sailuns by our local tire store. They actually looked identical, other than the name. After bringing in the rig for install, they could not get the 14 ply Hercules on his rims. The tire guy said that his stock rim was only rated something like 3800lb's and the tires were rated 4100lb's and that they were not able to stretch the bead over his wheels without possibly damaging the wheel. They said they would expect to have the same issue with the Sailun tires and suggested he may have to buy new wheels if he wanted to run 14 ply's.

I have another friend that ordered Sailun's from Simple tire and had no problem with getting them mounted on his stock rims. So, I'm confused as to why this store could not mount the Herc's since they were basically the same tire. We actually watched these guys attempt to mount them and every tire guy in the shop attempted them with no success, they even took it to the floor with tire bars, assuming the tire machine was simply too weak. They said after about 30 minutes of wrestling with it that the bead of the tire just simply would not stretch over the rim.

This is on a 5r with a gross weight of 16K and it come factory with 10 ply's that bulged even with 80psi.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I ordered the Sailuns from Simple Tire and had them shipped to my house. Took them and the rig to a truck tire dealer (big bays, ease of moving the rig about) and they mounted and balanced them on the OEM wheels with no problems.

It's been my experience that not all tire shops know what they're doing. Could be the reason that Northwest Tire went out of business.

rmn72

Discount Tire had no issue mounting my 14 ply tires when I replaced the stock 10 ply right after buying the rig.

bigdob24

I had Sailuns put on my last BC .
The only thing I had to check is if the rim was rated for 110 psi.
Some only are rated for 80 psi, didn’t know there was a weight rating, maybe it corasponds with the air pressure rating that’s stamped on the rim.
Had one rim that was ok with 80psi but when the sailun was inflated to 110 the rim had a small defect , leaked and had to be replaced.
BT

JohnDar

Another part of the problem may be the rig came with E-rated tires and not G’s. HL was doing that for a while (may be still) some time ago. Wheels MAY be different from those made for a G-rated tire. The wheels are marked for their load capacity, usually on the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

I would bet the tire company didn't know what they were doing or their machine wasn't up to par.

CarterKraft

NTB didn't really have a clue when my Simple Tire bought Sailuns showed up but they were able to get the metal stems and mount/balance them with no trouble.

The beads don't actually stretch at all and if they are trying to mount them that way that could be the problem. The back side of the bead has to be in the drop center of the rim.

I think your friend would be better served to use a industrial tire shop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RickL

Rims/wheels have a weight rating stamped on them or molded. The wheel should in every instance always be rated higher then the tire being mounted. Also the valve stem installed should meet or exceed the pressure the tire is capable of handling.

If the tire tire shop has an issue mounting the tire the first thing I would check is to make sure that both the wheel and tire are the same size. It’s not uncommon (well actually not so much any more as 16.5” isn’t as popular anymore) that people will try to mount a 16” tire on a 16.5” wheel. Second thing is the machine being used to mount the tire onto the wheel. Again the machine could be old and doesn’t have the power to spin the tire onto the wheel. Some assumptions here as I would think that tire tech mounting the assembly has used the correct and sufficient amount of mounting lube. Finally the tire techs experience and/or training. Which is a huge problem these days. If he doesn’t get the tire to drop into drop center of the wheel it’ll fight him to no end. Possibly tearing the bead guard that once torn can allow air to migrate into the sidewall of the tire.

mlpeloquin

I changed to the Sailun tires and upped the ratio from 80 to 85. Just behind the bead it is at least one and a quarter inch thick. All of Simple tires recommended installers said that they could not install a tire with such a thick bead. That there equipment was not powerful enough to handle the thick bead and sidewall. I went to a commercial truck tire installer and they had no problems. I was later told by a fellow Heartland owner that Big O Tires did not have any problems installing his. By the way the fifth wheel rides much better now. The bedroom door does not shut while driving over the roughest roads now.

tireman9

The reason I'm asking is because a friend wanted some Sailuns but was talked into ordering 14 ply Hercules tires equivalent to the Sailuns by our local tire store. They actually looked identical, other than the name. After bringing in the rig for install, they could not get the 14 ply Hercules on his rims. The tire guy said that his stock rim was only rated something like 3800lb's and the tires were rated 4100lb's and that they were not able to stretch the bead over his wheels without possibly damaging the wheel. They said they would expect to have the same issue with the Sailun tires and suggested he may have to buy new wheels if he wanted to run 14 ply's.

I have another friend that ordered Sailun's from Simple tire and had no problem with getting them mounted on his stock rims. So, I'm confused as to why this store could not mount the Herc's since they were basically the same tire. We actually watched these guys attempt to mount them and every tire guy in the shop attempted them with no success, they even took it to the floor with tire bars, assuming the tire machine was simply too weak. They said after about 30 minutes of wrestling with it that the bead of the tire just simply would not stretch over the rim.

This is on a 5r with a gross weight of 16K and it come factory with 10 ply's that bulged even with 80psi.

Just because a tire is round and black does not make it "equivalent" to another round and black tire. Mounting issues can usually be traced to improper method. See previous posts on front/back side of wheel, use of proper tire lube not dish soap and training.

wildwolfproducts

Going to put new tires on our Land Mark next spring. The GY-614's are in good shape, but are 6 years old. Camper has not been moved in 2 years. We put it up in the shop, and its sat there.
Was thinking about going back with the 614's. but at almost double the price. Thinking I'm going to try the Salun's. My tire shop does every tire made. So they will not have an issue.
Mounted from 14" to 22.5's for me. Plus Tractor tires and they do Backhoe and Skidder tires. There taking all of my cash the last few weeks. Boat trailer, Pickup, Car hauler trailer, and new Steer Tires for my Kenworth T600. I sure hope they don't see me again for a while.

JohnDar

I replaced the OEM Freestars on my BH when they were 8 years old with the Sailuns. Took the rig and tires to a truck shop and they had no problems mounting and balancing them. Someplace that specializes in little passenger cars might not be up to snuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk