ATF: Bighorn - Replacement for baggage doors

J

JPSolborne

We have a 2007 Bighorn 3055RL. We would like to know if we can replace our existing baggage and LP locker doors with the newer ones that have the "slam latches".

Can this be done? We understand we might have to replace the entire door mechanism, including frame and that is okay.

Thank you,

John and Patricia Solborne

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John, as I understand it, the Cargo bay doors are replaceable with the new style. The new doors are thicker than the old ones in our 2007 rigs so the new LP bay doors are too thick. The existing doors are already tight up against the LP bottles and the tanks wont go in any farther.

J

JPSolborne

Thank you Ray. Should we contact the factory directly to see about this?
John & Patricia

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
John & Patricia,
You're welcome! Due to the Holiday, I would wait and call them direct. Originally, MorRyde was making the doors but I think that has changed. Lippert may now be making the newer style doors. Have your VIN handy and they should be able to get you to the right vendor.

GOTTOYS

An option would be to change latches. There are now some available that replace the twist style with one that works like a slam latch. There was some discussion about them a few months back on this forum..Don

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ray is correct, the doors are now made by Lippert...had ours replaced last year. He is also correct about the propane door, it cannot be replaced...no space, so we had two on the door side and the big one on the off-door side done.

rick_debbie_gallant

Has anyone else had problems with the frame rusting around the slam baggage doors. Mine are rusting bad right right now. Also the gasket that goes around the of the door rusted out and fell off the the inside of the frame.

jbeletti

Has anyone else had problems with the frame rusting around the slam baggage doors. Mine are rusting bad right right now. Also the gasket that goes around the of the door rusted out and fell off the the inside of the frame.

Rick - I've heard of both these items before. Contact Mor/ryde to see if they can offer assistance on repairs: (574) 293-1581

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick - I've heard of both these items before. Contact Mor/ryde to see if they can offer assistance on repairs: (574) 293-1581

Thank you for the quick response Jim. I will do that. I had some neighbors (campground) looking at our rig with interest the other day, saying how nice it was. Then they asked about the rusty frames.

kakampers

The Mor Ryde, all metal doors are not used any longer. The doors made by Lippert, which are used now do have aluminum frames...don't see them having a rust issue...

rick_debbie_gallant

I think the doors are aluminum, but my frames are metal. I know they are both a type of metal but one rusts and the other dont. Well in a sense aluminum dont rust, but it do oxidize. Actually wood also oxidizes, but at a much faster rate, they call that fire. What was your question?

kakampers

Your doors are made by Mor Ryde...the skin of the doors is aluminium, but they do not state what the frames are made of....contact Mor Ryde, they should have some sort of warranty.

K

karykatz

According to our Engineering Department this can be done. you will have to order the door and fram assembly. You may also have to order the shocks.

I hope this helps.

kakampers

The only problem I see with replacing the Mor Ryde doors with the currently used doors is the shape...Mor Ryde's are rectangular, with a rectangular cut out...the new slam doors have rounded corners, just like the old original doors we removed....I would seriously check into this before ordering doors to find out they will not go into the same opening as ours did...JMHO.

RollingHome

Rick, If you replace your doors - the new ones will rust too... Sorry... Another solution would be to remove one door at a time, break the sharp edge on the frame (sand it to a round edge) and get them powder coated. Reinstall and you're good to go. Another solution is wait until winter (if you can) and do them all at once. I saw one owner paint and recaulk in place... let's just say it was not a work of art... The new Lippert doors have round corners and will not fit the openings the Morydes are in. Moryde goofed when they had the metal frames punched out. They left the sharp edges and it is impossible to get a thick protective coating uniformly around the 90 degree edge.

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick, If you replace your doors - the new ones will rust too... Sorry... Another solution would be to remove one door at a time, break the sharp edge on the frame (sand it to a round edge) and get them powder coated. Reinstall and you're good to go. Another solution is wait until winter (if you can) and do them all at once. I saw one owner paint and recaulk in place... let's just say it was not a work of art... The new Lippert doors have round corners and will not fit the openings the Morydes are in. Moryde goofed when they had the metal frames punched out. They left the sharp edges and it is impossible to get a thick protective coating uniformly around the 90 degree edge.

Not so sure why I would wait for winter. It sounds like a good summer project to me. I wonder if a good one or two part urethane like IMRON would work. You are correct. It makes no sense to replace if they will rust again. I am just wondering why they did not use aluminum. Oh well will make do with what we have.