ATF: Cyclone - Weight Limit on Ladder and Roof

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Can someone tell me if there is a Weight limit on the Factory Ladder that came with my RIG? And for that matter on the Roof. Yesterday when I was attempting to access the Roof of my Cyclone to retrieve a RV toy that a neighbor boy crash landed the Rungs on my ladder snapped while I was on my way up. It could have been really bad if I was in the middle of moving my hands but I was able to use my upper body to take the pressure off the Rung and start back down the ladder...

I think that the Design of the rungs leaves a lot to be desired - it would be better if they were all metal and did not use any plastic.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

squire

I seem to recall the one on my 3950 said 250lbs. All I know is that I weigh a bit over 200 and I climb it VERY carefully as it doesn't inspire confidence.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mine has a label stating 300#. I won't use the ladder. I'm close to that limit and I walk on our roof but I try using rafters for stepping points. If the Cyclone has the laminated roof you don't have to worry about where to step.

recumbent615

update: I contacted Atwood to ask about the issue and they confirmed that the weight limit on the ladder is 300# but that there was a redesign of the end caps to address the cracking issue. they are sending me 8 sets of end caps to replace mine. I will install and let you all know the results ...

Kevin

Wmnmy

Mine started comming apart after a few uses I threw it out and bought a nice fold and extend one from home depot my safety has no limits haha I'm about 230ish haha.......

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Hi Kevin, I have a 2011 Big Horn 3670 and today I had same thing happen with me (under 200#). The plastic inserts have Kimberly Inc. stamped on the outside and Elkhart, Indiana. Would that be Atwood?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine has a tag that says it's rated for 300 lbs. Being a relative featherweight 165 (or so), I use mine like a monkey. But I do check it. I'm more concerned with the mounting to the trailer than the rungs themselves. The roof doesn't seem to mind me up there.

To safely climb an extension ladder onto the roof, it needs to be set at a 75 degree angle, firmly footed, and extend above the roof at least 3 rungs, preferably 5. So that means something on the order of at least a 16 foot extension ladder. Anything less and you may get a lesson in gravity. And if you're pushing 300 lbs., you'll need a Type 1A to handle your load.

recumbent615

Yes - and Atwood has confirmed that there is an issue with the design and replaced them for me. The new design is not that much different but I will install - and like so many others I may just get a separate ladder to access the roof. Especially if these do not hold up. Atwood told me that even if the plastic breaks the rung will not fail - the screw will still hold the rung. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Kevin

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Thanks Kevin. And I notice you don't have Mississippi and Alabama colored in on your travel map; time to resolve that. Spring Rally at Gulf Shores State Park April 26-29 for the Alamissibamasippi Group. Come on down. Hogan