ATF: Sundance - Bike Rack

Could you please advise us on the BEST kind of bike carrier and how to attach it to our brand new Sundance 5th wheel. Biking is a large part of our life style and with our last trailer we tried 2 different kinds of bike racks. Shortly after driving away with either rack, we were stopped by other motorists to say that our bikes were bouncing along the road behind us as the bike rack leaned over with the weight of 2 bikes even though designed for 4.

Thank you for any suggestions about Bike transportation.

jimtoo

Hi Sundancers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There have been several different bike racks made by our family members, some on the front pin box and some for the rear hitch that has been added. If you do a search on the forum you will find some good ideas.

Enjoy the forum and your new Sundance.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

I don't have a bike carrier yet but have been looking into them also. From what I've seen..the ladder mount ones are out, too much weight and they can tear the ladder off. Although I don't have a bumper, if I did I would rule out the bumper mount also unless it is attached to the frame like a trailer hitch. The "bumper" itself is really nothing more than a light weight tube designed to carry a sewer hose and in time the welds will crack and it can fall off with the weight of the bikes on it. The only one I can see using would mount on the pinbox. I can keep an eye on my bikes and it would be sturdy enough to hold some weight. Besides I don't like the thought of dragging several hundred dollars worth of bikes down the road if something doesn't hold up. JMHO...Don

floridarandy

We chose to carry the bikes up front. The 2" front receiver was about $90 installed. Standard bike rack works great for 2 bikes or a larger rack for 4. Front vision is no problem as bikes are below eye level. only "add on" was a ratcheting strip from the two eyes on the front bumper and around the vertical bike shaft to keep the rack and bikes from moving over bumps.

Randy

Attachments

• P4162292.jpg
    P4162292.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 53
  • P4162291.jpg
    P4162291.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 49

Paul_W

Could you please advise us on the BEST kind of bike carrier and how to attach it to our brand new Sundance 5th wheel. Biking is a large part of our life style and with our last trailer we tried 2 different kinds of bike racks. Shortly after driving away with either rack, we were stopped by other motorists to say that our bikes were bouncing along the road behind us as the bike rack leaned over with the weight of 2 bikes even though designed for 4.

Thank you for any suggestions about Bike transportation.

We also have a new 2012 Sundance fifth wheeler. A wonderful feature of our coach is a frame mounted slideout for the rear bumper. It extends the rear bumper out several feet to reveal a platform for bikes, coolers, or whatever else you can think of. There is also a post for bungies or ropes to affix your cargo. I'm not sure whether this is a standard feature or an option but it's worth a look underneath of your frame at the bumper to see if you have it. Good luck!

noobee

On both our previous & current 5er, we used pin box mounts for our 2 bikes. With the previous unit, we had a 2 inch receiver welded to the pin box & used a Swagman for the bikes. I purchased a TopPop rack for our current unit.

BTW: the TopPop is for sale as we won't be hauling an longer. See Kijiji for more info.

CS

Thank you all for your suggestions. We have been enjoying another wonderful week in our trailer and just returned. We do not seem to have the slideout under the bumper that was mentioned by Paul and Cheryl. We are debating having some welding done to accommodate a hitch for an upright bike carrier. All these suggestions have been helpful in making our decision, thanks again