Awning retraction makes horrible screeching noise

rikreed

We just purchased a new Landmark 365 Charleston with 2 Awnings that auto retract/extract. On this particular model, during the walk through, the tech did not show us the extract/retract process so I do not know if this is a normal noise or not. No noise was made on the models we checked out during the buying process. Both awnings make a rather loud screeching noise when retracting. Both knobs on the arms are loose when I retract. We are on our 1st camping trip and are concerned it is too tight or damaged. Or possibly, there is a break in period. Sounds like a spring being compressed.

danemayer

Hi rikreed,

Congratulations on the new Landmark 365 and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas for you about the screeching.

FYI, take a look at our owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide. It may answer questions you didn't even know you had.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mine used to make a lot of noise til I lubricated all of the areas that have any movement.
If you look at the pivot points they are just metal on metal.

Peace
Dave

mlpeloquin

Also have had noisy retracting awning. Lubericated and waxed all the parts as well. It seems if the fifth wheel is not quite level, it will still seem to grab a bit. Make sure it is level. Our RV is just off level when the refrigerator freezer is bubbled leveled. So just off level for the refrigerator is still ok. The problem is with the auto leveling or manual leveling. It makes a .3 degree difference when finishing the leveling going up or down. When I finish up it is quiet retracting. So I always try and remember to finish the leveling going up. Left to right does not have any effect. Looks like a slight play in alignment occurs if not truly level and causes it to rub against itself. It may also have to do perhaps with a slightly unlevel awning installation. It looks level, but I have not checked. Don't think 1/8" more or less over the entire length would or could be seen and maybe it does effect it, but I am no expert on awnings. So I keep it lubericated and waxed. It helps a lot.

rikreed

Thanks for the replies. I'll try the lubricating and see if it works. The trailer is level, using the slick auto leveler system. So hopefully, that is not the issue. As luck would have it, last night right after my post, the electrical system started acting funny all the outlets stopped working, one a/c stopped and the refridge went dead. I read up on the manuals on this site and it turned out to be the breaker box I was connected to was the issue. A ranger at the state park diagnosed it as a fire ant problem that made one of the legs of the 50 amp connector limit the power. He fixed it this morning. To get the refridge working, I put on the remote power all night. Back up now and looking good.

Thanks again

Rik