Backup lights

back2nature

Would anyone know if Heartland pre-wires the BigHorn for rear backup lights so they can be installed later?

Sent from my cell using Tapatalk2

jbeletti

Laurie - on your unit, I don't believe it's wired for backup lights. In our early years, Landmark had backup lights (I think).

You'll likely have to pull a wire from the pinbox area where the truck circuits tie in, back to the rear of the coach. Not a huge undertaking.

You may need to make sure that the 7-wire receptacle on your truck has the backup circuit to it. Looks like pin 7 is used for the backup circuit (link to diagram in Wiki).

back2nature

Thanks Jim for replying so quickly. Mike gets these ideas and says "ask on the forum . . . ."

He wondered if Heartland had something already in the square box in the pin box in the hitch that had wires in it.

He's interested in backup lights and some LED tail lights like they have on the new BigHorns.

Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our 2007 Landmark has white lites on the rear sides (guess you could call them backup lights) but you have to manually turn them on. The switch is located in the battery compartment.

jbeletti

Laurie - LED tail lights are an easy upgrade that a lot of Heartlanders do with their round tail lights. Even the backup circuit could be a fun, easy and useful project. Mike can pickup a ground at the rear frame and then only has to run a single wire the length of the coach. Drop the underbelly every few feet to fish the cable to the back. Routing from the pin box to the generator cabinet area may be the most time consuming part.

hoefler

On our Landmark, we had the lights that faced out to the sides. Not very effective when backing, plus inconvenient, having to get out and switch them off and on. I posted this a few months back in another thread;

In the pin box, you will find a metal 4" x 4" junction box with the pig tail attached to it. Inside you will find a yellow wire with out anything hooked to it. This is the reverse light feed. I ran a wire from it to the switch in the battery compartment. Then I wired in a relay to activate the back up lights. I also changed out the lights to a recessed rearward facing 55 watt flood lamps. It is great to have them come on automatically when trying to get situated at night.

!Bq271!wBmk~$(KGrHqIH-CwEvCk3gsCeBL)Md(2biQ~~_35.JPG

jnbhobe

I put them on mine and its like JB and hoefler said the yellow wire is the center pin on your plug and you can pick it up at the junction box. I put mine under the bagage doors in front of the wheels so I can see where the wheels are thats all that matters to me, Patti watches the back end.

Sandpirate69

On our Landmark, we had the lights that faced out to the sides. Not very effective when backing, plus inconvenient, having to get out and switch them off and on. I posted this a few months back in another thread;

In the pin box, you will find a metal 4" x 4" junction box with the pig tail attached to it. Inside you will find a yellow wire with out anything hooked to it. This is the reverse light feed. I ran a wire from it to the switch in the battery compartment. Then I wired in a relay to activate the back up lights. I also changed out the lights to a recessed rearward facing 55 watt flood lamps. It is great to have them come on automatically when trying to get situated at night.

!Bq271!wBmk~$(KGrHqIH-CwEvCk3gsCeBL)Md(2biQ~~_35.JPG

Hoefler,

Could you tell me how you fished it through the section behind the hitch. If you have any pictures and instructions, could you please provide for me. I'm having a lot of night vision problems from a IED blast in Iraq and night time parking is pretty difficult as it is. Your information or guidance will be very appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Ivan

jnbhobe

I fished mine with a coat hanger, I loosened the screws around the pin box then from the open side of the generator compartment I got my head up where I could see and pulled the wire back. Didn't take 10 minutes.

Sandpirate69

I fished mine with a coat hanger, I loosened the screws around the pin box then from the open side of the generator compartment I got my head up where I could see and pulled the wire back. Didn't take 10 minutes.

Jon,

Did you put lights on the rear of the rig or just in front of the tires, facing the tires? I'm thinking of placing white LED lights in front of the tires as well as in the rear. What do think? Also, what wire gauge should I use considering the 4 lights? I know its a few questions, but I like to do things right the 1st time.

Thank you,
Ivan

jnbhobe

Jon,

Did you put lights on the rear of the rig or just in front of the tires, facing the tires? I'm thinking of placing white LED lights in front of the tires as well as in the rear. What do think? Also, what wire gauge should I use considering the 4 lights? I know its a few questions, but I like to do things right the 1st time.

Thank you,
Ivan

Ivan;
14 ga. should be more than enough for all your LED lights. I just put them in front of the wheels, I used 6" tractor trapazoid beams they light up the wheel area and enough flood light to light the area around the rear.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Laurie, Its not hard to do. Mike will have to spend sometime removing the underbelly to run the wires. Getting the wire pulled from the junction box is not hard. 2 coat hangers twisted together and taped together will do the trick. Remove the screws from the pinbox trim and the cover will come down a little. Just make sure that the wire will not get pinched when you put things back together. Also, have mike make sure he secures the wires in the underbelly and are secured to the existings wires so it does not move around and rub through and create a short to ground. If you or Mike feel the need, PM me your PH# and I can walk Mike through it.

Sandpirate69

Ivan;
14 ga. should be more than enough for all your LED lights. I just put them in front of the wheels, I used 6" tractor trapazoid beams they light up the wheel area and enough flood light to light the area around the rear.

Thank you, on my way to p/u the wire and lights. Have a Great New Years.

Ivan

back2nature

Thanks everyone for the input. Now we know the yellow wire is available to use. We haven't done any backing in after dark yet, but we thought it would be good to have. We'll start planning this project.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

If I were to do it using the yellow wire I would most likely use a fuse at the connection. One can never be to safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

back2nature

I have fished alot of wires being ex-Ma Bell.

Home Depot sells an inexpensive FLAT fish tape that is well worth the investment IMHO.
Flat fish tapes are easy to push through short distances w/o coiling and even go under carpet. Trace

I vote for the fish tape (we already have that anyway). And our hangars are either plastic or velvet covered in the rv, no wires.