Bad odor coming from Hot water??

wingfoot

We are experiencing a strong sulfur smell from our hot water. The smell dissipates if we let it run for about thirty seconds. We are not experiencing an odor from the cold water side. We have a filter incorporated in our shore water feed.
At the beginning of this season I drained and flushed the hot water tank. I have a sacrificial adenoid rod in the tank. I thought it may have been the water at our last campground, but it has followed us to our current location.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Larry

oldmannj

Here's what I did when we had a similar problem with our TT. Drain the hot water tank and clean the anode rod of any yuck. Disconnect the hose at the trailer and drain it. Pour about 1/2 cup of bleach in the hose and reconnect it to the trailer. Turn on water and let HOT faucet in trailer run until you get a strong bleach smell. Shut it off and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then open all the faucets and run water until the bleach odor goes away. I did this when we first got our Trailrunner and it cured the problem for nearly 2 years before we traded it in.

JanAndBill

If a campground water supply has a high sulfur content, when the electro galvanic action of the cladding material releases hydrogen, the hydrogen released will combine with the sulfur forming the smell. Sometimes flushing the whole system for 5 to 10 mins with fresh water without a high sulfur content will work. If not then turn off the water supply, and drain your water heater completely. Refill just the water heater with a solution of 4 parts white vinegar to 2 parts water. Using a pump or funnel completely fill the water heater. Cycle the heater on to completely heat the water, then cycle off. Do this 4 or 5 times, then remove the drain plug and completely drain the water heater. Flush the tank by removing the pressure relief valve and running water into the tank for at least 5 mins. to drain any sediment in the bottom. Replace the plug and valve, fill the tank and you should be good to go.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This subject came up a while back. There was information about bacteria in the water creating the hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) smell.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40375-Stinky-water?highlight=rotten+egg+smell