Banks Speed Brake

convert

Reginald Hromek
Does anyone own a banks speed brake that was purchased in the last year I see they now have a unit that has a switch rather than the programmable screen. looking for some comments on this.:confused: Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks CONVERT

jimtoo

HI convert,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will be in soon to give their opinion. Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

convert

Reginald Hromek
I guess I'll answer this myself in case anyone out there has the same Question. I puchased and installed the unit with the new switch and it works great. Doesn"t stop the truck but slows it fast w/o using the brakes. Very satisfied.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I installed the brake last sept, used it all summer through the mountains. workds great. I got the Palm pilot to contol it. I intend on getting the I Q as I also have the Econo tuner.

porthole

Retired
I believe the switch is for those that do not wish the added expense of the fancy display.

Good luck with yours. That is one of the "must have" upgrades I did before we bought the Cyclone.
Had nothing but problems and replaced all of the components at least once and a couple twice.
Pulled it out after a white knuckle ride down a 3.5 mile twisting 13% grade when the brake disengaged my transmission - dramatically.

I warped the rotors on the truck trying to keep it at a reasonable speed

Not getting it to work is one of the reasons we are now considering another TV.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nice to know. I think I'll stay off the big hills and just use Tow/Haul and manually shift the Allison. Works pretty good on the nubbins here in Michigan, anyways. But I believe with the 2011 GM models, they'll be adding an exhaust brake as an option. Might consider a trade-in at some time in the future.

porthole

Retired
But I believe with the 2011 GM models, they'll be adding an exhaust brake as an option.

Not an option John, "standard equipment" and 'bout time.

And Ford has some type of brake too, but I am not sure what it is. Not a "turbo" style like the Banks system. Still not sure how the new Ford work, all the literature mentions exhaust braking but I can't fine anything that says it is either an exhaust brake or a turbo exhaust brake.

JohnDar

What would be really great is if the new GM exhaust brake could be retrofitted onto existing Duramax/Allisons without screwing up the engine or the warranty. I don't have any contacts in GM Powertrain to find out.

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Just installed the Banks Speed Brake on my 07 Chevy Classic. Seems to work well unloaded, don't plan on towing for another 6 weeks or so. Just went with the switch as I don't plan on adding a programmer.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I've had a Banksbrake with the torque lockup for about 2 years. The toggle switch model, which is very convenient.It works fantastic with a load. Really saves the brakes all around. Cuts way down on white nuckle rides. Best addition you can make IMHO.

rancol01

Randy and Colleen Smith
Looking forward to towing with it and seeing the difference. We tend to spend a lot of time in the Rockies in the summer and I've had enough white nuckles coming down some declines and using up the truck brakes. I see you have ordered an 2011 BH 3670. We ordered ours in March and have been full timing in it since May and are very pleased. It had a few bugs to be worked out but that's the norm with any RV; I don't think you'll be disappointed.

TandT

Looking forward to towing with it and seeing the difference. We tend to spend a lot of time in the Rockies in the summer and I've had enough white nuckles coming down some declines and using up the truck brakes. I see you have ordered an 2011 BH 3670. We ordered ours in March and have been full timing in it since May and are very pleased. It had a few bugs to be worked out but that's the norm with any RV; I don't think you'll be disappointed.
You won't be disappointed with the Banksbrake. It's night and day over towing without it. We are beginning fulltime in Feb 2011. See you out there somewhere.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Be very careful of ANY exhaust brakes UNLESS factory. They will absolutely blow out your truck if not installed exactly right. After all the problems the aftermarket brakes have had and the problems they have created it is amazing to me that people still buy them!

JohnDar

Be very careful of ANY exhaust brakes UNLESS factory. They will absolutely blow out your truck if not installed exactly right. After all the problems the aftermarket brakes have had and the problems they have created it is amazing to me that people still buy them!

And depending on the age of your truck, it will void your warranty if they can prove the add-on is the cause. Doesn't matter who's name is on it, Banks or Joe-Don-Looney, you're screwed.

TandT

And depending on the age of your truck, it will void your warranty if they can prove the add-on is the cause. Doesn't matter who's name is on it, Banks or Joe-Don-Looney, you're screwed.

I agree with you. That holds true for any aftermarket accessory that you add to a vehicle. IF it can be proven that it was the cause of a failure.
By the way, I had a Joe-Don-Looney on my Yugo. Never had any trouble with it. LOL.

Truly sorry to hear about your break-in, I just read about it in another post.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired

The banks speed brake is not an exhaust brake.

And how would an exhaust brake blow out your truck?

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Top 5 To Try

Ads by Google UTI Automotive Training
Accelerate Your Future & Train As A UTI Automotive Mechanic Technician.
UTI.edu

Ask a Air Brake Mechanic
Air Brake & Truck Mechanics Online Ask a Question, Get an Answer ASAP.
JustAnswer.com/Air-Brake

How to Repair Air Brakes
Access Step-by-Step Instructions Learn How to Repair Air Brakes
howtotutorials.net

Freightliner Belt
20% Off Your Entire Order Today! No Minimum - Car and Auto Parts.
AdvanceAutoParts.com/20_OFF_ALL

Top 2010 Online Grants
You May Qualify For a Grant to Go Back To College!
www.ClassesUSA.com

Exhaust Brake Vs. Jake Brake

By Richard Rowe, eHow Contributor
updated: May 10, 2010

Modern engine brakes make these trucks safer and quieter than ever.
line of trucks 1 image by Aaron Kohr from Fotolia.com

Engine brakes, which include both exhaust brakes (EBs) and Jacobs ("Jake") brakes, have been around for nearly as long as road-going diesels themselves. Often confused for one another, EBs and Jakes function by related but functionally opposite principles: to slow the vehicle by causing the engine to produce "negative" power.

1. Purpose
  2. Diesel engines don't use a spark to ignite the fuel mixture; instead, they simply squeeze the air/fuel mixture until it explodes with heat and pressure. This "compression ignition" strategy means that a diesel can produce nearly as much negative power (resistance to forward movement) as they can regular power by harnessing the power of compressed air or the equivalent amount of vacuum trapped in the cylinders.Exhaust Brake Function
  3. An exhaust brake is simply a large butterfly valve in the engine's exhaust stream. When closed, the exhaust brake traps a great deal of the engine's air inside the cylinders. The engine continues to function as it normally would, but gets only enough fuel to idle. The exploding fuel's gases have nowhere to go when the valve is closed, so they push back against the piston and inhibit engine rotation. A really efficient exhaust brake on the right engine can resist truck acceleration with about 80 percent of the engine's maximum power output.Jake Brake Function
  4. In terms of function, Jake brakes and exhaust brakes are exact opposites. Whereas an exhaust brake traps compressed air inside the cylinders (inhibiting upward piston movement), a Jake creates a vacuum to inhibit downward piston movement. A Jake brake is essentially a solenoid that causes the exhaust valve to open early (while the piston is still traveling upward); all of the air gets pushed out, leaving a powerful vacuum behind. A Jake brake is integral to the engine; it comprises a big part of the valvetrain, so you can't just add one on like you would an exhaust brake. A Jake brake can produce negative power to upwards of 90 percent the engine's max power.Drawbacks
  5. Although Jake brakes are powerful, they're not without their problems. The first is that the design is noisy; if you've ever heard a machinegun-like clatter echoing through a mountain valley then you've experienced the Jake brake's signature howl. Jake brakes have actually been known to trigger avalanches in some snowy mountain passes, so they're often restricted during the winter. Both Jake brakes and exhaust brakes can cause overheating, but the exhaust brake (which traps most of the exhaust's heat inside the turbo and engine) is far more prone to causing thermally-induced destruction than the Jake.Use

Read more: Exhaust Brake Vs. Jake Brake | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6495304_exhaust-brake-vs_-jake-brake.html#ixzz1A5DBksPb