Basement 15 amp fuse blew.

carl.swoyer

Went to the fifth wheel a 2012 Landmark Rushmore and found a fuse blown? It's labeled basement lights. I haven't really looked into it but when I replaced the fuse it immediately blew.
Any chance someone has an idea as to what is included in that circuit before I get into it.
Thanks for the input.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

carl.swoyer

Apparently the loose wire at the battery was not it. I blew another fuse. It was good for a couple of days then blew. So I asked the heartland factory Rep in tech support to identify the specific items in that circuit. He said he would forward my request to higher ups. Presently I am leaving the fuse out. Anyone happen to have a copy of the DC wiring for a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel.
Thanks again

danemayer

I would think it includes 1) the lights in passthrough basement storage, 2) light in front storage, 3) light in UDC, 4) light under pinbox.

wdk450

These intermittent fuse blows can be maddening to find. In a fiberglass body RV the most likely fault places are where hot wires and grounded metal come (chafe) together, and where hot and grounded wire connections are in close proximity to each other (where short circuit wiring faults may exist). The 2nd set of places most likely would be in wire interconnection boxes and the light fixtures themselves.
If these fixtures are all incandescent lamps, I would start with changing out ALL of these bulbs, as an easy thing to do in case there is an internally intermittent shorted bulb. This is VERY uncommon, but again, an EASY thing to try.

I troubleshot such an intermittent fuse blowing problem for months that was on my refrigerator 12 volt supply circuit. I finally found the hot wire chafing against the grounded refrigerator base plate. Part of my troubleshooting effort was to wire in a temporary fuseholder and fuse at different locations in the hot wiring to try to pin down the location of the intermittent short. I would use a temporary fuse with a smaller amperage rating than the main branch fuse so it would blow first. Using this approach and being patient, I learned the location where the short was before and beyond in the wiring; and kept moving the temporary fuse towards the fault using this knowledge. If the main fuse blows, but the temporary (smaller) fuse doesn't, then the temporary fuse is beyond the fault. If the temporary smaller fuse blows, but the main fuse doesn't, then the temporary fuse is before the fault.

Good Luck!!!

carl.swoyer

These intermittent fuse blows can be maddening to find. In a fiberglass body RV the most likely fault places are where hot wires and grounded metal come (chafe) together, and where hot and grounded wire connections are in close proximity to each other (where short circuit wiring faults may exist). The 2nd set of places most likely would be in wire interconnection boxes and the light fixtures themselves.
If these fixtures are all incandescent lamps, I would start with changing out ALL of these bulbs, as an easy thing to do in case there is an internally intermittent shorted bulb. This is VERY uncommon, but again, an EASY thing to try.

I troubleshot such an intermittent fuse blowing problem for months that was on my refrigerator 12 volt supply circuit. I finally found the hot wire chafing against the grounded refrigerator base plate. Part of my troubleshooting effort was to wire in a temporary fuseholder and fuse at different locations in the hot wiring to try to pin down the location of the intermittent short. I would use a temporary fuse with a smaller amperage rating than the main branch fuse so it would blow first. Using this approach and being patient, I learned the location where the short was before and beyond in the wiring; and kept moving the temporary fuse towards the fault using this knowledge. If the main fuse blows, but the temporary (smaller) fuse doesn't, then the temporary fuse is beyond the fault. If the temporary smaller fuse blows, but the main fuse doesn't, then the temporary fuse is before the fault.

Good Luck!!!
Thanks

carl.swoyer

Went to the fifth wheel a 2012 Landmark Rushmore and found a fuse blown? It's labeled basement lights. I haven't really looked into it but when I replaced the fuse it immediately blew.
Any chance someone has an idea as to what is included in that circuit before I get into it.
Thanks for the input.

This was the culprit! No wire nuts? They were bouncing around under the bed Intermittently shorting. Wire nuts electric tape and zip locked to the floor.
6b13dd1925d54687539178eda4999b1f.jpg

wdk450

Congrats on a find of a tough problem!!

I was a little concerned with the statement of "zip locked to floor", but assume you know enough to leave room in the wiring for bed slide movement.

carl.swoyer

Congrats on a find of a tough problem!!

I was a little concerned with the statement of "zip locked to floor", but assume you know enough to leave room in the wiring for bed slide movement.
Yes pleanty of slack. I just turned the wires opposite of each other then Zip ties to the floor so they can't touch.

danemayer

This was the culprit! No wire nuts? They were bouncing around under the bed Intermittently shorting. Wire nuts electric tape and zip locked to the floor.

What was the hot wire shorting to? I just see carpet. Is there a ground path somewhere?

carl.swoyer

What was the hot wire shorting to? I just see carpet. Is there a ground path somewhere?
The two sets of wires were without wire nuts. So they were touching intermittently.
Hopefully that will be the end of the problem

danemayer

The two sets of wires were without wire nuts. So they were touching intermittently.
Hopefully that will be the end of the problem

Maybe. But I'm not sure that an intermittent connection on a light circuit would blow the fuse. The missing wire nut could be left over from a prior attempt to locate the problem.

carl.swoyer

Maybe. But I'm not sure that an intermittent connection on a light circuit would blow the fuse. The missing wire nut could be left over from a prior attempt to locate the problem.
Missing wire nuts. This was the first time I have ever been under the bed. That's the way I found it. I am the original owner. Hopefully it will be the last time I have a problem with this circuit.

Ldo

Hello From Peoria, Arizona
I was wondering where the "UDC" light is located and what does do the initials represent?
Thanks, ldo