Bathroom Vessel sink issue

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
On the off chance that someone else has had this issue, I thought I'd ask.

The stopper in our vessel sink broke last night. When I say broke I mean something happened to it and it no longer stops the water from draining. One minute I had the sink filled. I pressed the stopper and it released the water, but when I went to fill the sink again, the water drains as usual.

I didn't hear anything abnormal. And I pressed the stopper just like normal. But now when I press it, water still managers to escape.

Any ideas? Maybe a rubber valve or something...um escaped? :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On the off chance that someone else has had this issue, I thought I'd ask.

The stopper in our vessel sink broke last night. When I say broke I mean something happened to it and it no longer stops the water from draining. One minute I had the sink filled. I pressed the stopper and it released the water, but when I went to fill the sink again, the water drains as usual.

I didn't hear anything abnormal. And I pressed the stopper just like normal. But now when I press it, water still managers to escape.

Any ideas? Maybe a rubber valve or something...um escaped? :)

I don't really know how the vessel sink drain is set up, but if it's similar to a standard drain plug mechanism, check under it inside the cabinet. The linkage may have come undone. Does the plug still operate, even though it doesn't hold the water in?

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
In the vessel sink there's a big disc in the bottom. You push it down by hand to close it. It sort of 'locks' and seals.

It still locks, but it does not seal.

These are different from other sinks I'm familiar with that have the knob you pull that closes the drain stopper. I'm not sure what kind other RV sinks have. They may all have the push kind that I have.

danemayer

Here's a thread on the drain for the vessel sink - a different problem (caused by rough Alaska roads), but the parts info may help. If nothing else, you could look at the parts that go in the one in the store to see how it's supposed to work.

I'm sure you could get the part through Heartland, but if it's inexpensive, it might be worth getting it locally rather than waiting.

If it does fix the problem, you might also ask Heartland if they'll reimburse the local purchase. For the price of a phone call, who knows, maybe they'll say yes.

danemayer

In the vessel sink there's a big disc in the bottom. You push it down by hand to close it. It sort of 'locks' and seals.

It still locks, but it does not seal.
There may be a locking nut under the counter that's slipped or is loose.

TedS

The part you push may have come unscrewed a bit and no longer pushes the seal tight. Try twisting the plug clockwise, righty tighty, to see if it can be tightened. The tub in our house has a drain plug like that.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
The part you push may have come unscrewed a bit and no longer pushes the seal tight. Try twisting the plug clockwise, righty tighty, to see if it can be tightened. The tub in our house has a drain plug like that.

That would also be my suggestion!

Willym

My vessel sink did this. I unscrewed the stopper (from above) and found that the rubber washer that seals when the stopper is depressed had come out of it's groove. It's a fairly thin piece of rubber. After having to re-insert into the groove it a few times, I ended up using a little clear glue to hold it place. Even though I changed the sink to a larger one, I'm still using the original stopper assembly and it is holding good after the glue fix.

dbbls59

Same thing happen to me. Like Willym said, I unscrewed the stopper and reinserted the rubber seal. I haven't had to glue it in place yet but was glad to hear about that option. I may have to do that.