Bathtub/Shower Cleaning

DocFather

OK - don't laugh! (LOL). Single guy here! Never cleaned the tub or shower walls (10 months). What is the recommended type of product to use? I figure a soft-scrub product and nothing abrasive? I did not see a manual or guide in the HUG or HOM sections. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Lynn1130

Soft scrub works well in the shower and I have used Ducky for water spotting. Most of the time dry camping, I fill the tanks with soft water from the house which helps avoid spotting but when using city water I try to wipe the shower down after use to help with the hard water issues. I think I recall someone here suggesting softener cloths (clothes drying) but then my memory is suspect sometimes.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Doc, you could use anything that is NON abrasive. One thing we do after cleaning.....wax (car wax) the walls of the shower. If you dont have one....get a small sqeegie ( spelling) and use it after taking a shower.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've used a variety of non scrub products and they are all about the same. We maintain it daily with a squeegee after each shower then use one of those after shower sprays. I also wipe down the frame of the shower stall after each use. After 8 years it looks as good as new. Different soaps make it hard to keep your shower clean. The commercial for Dove soap led us to believe the soap scum rinsed off better than others so we use Dove. I think they're right!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I found a product called "Shower Power" online that I use at home. Works great for getting accumulated scum off. Once you get it clean, a rinse and then a squeegee after your shower will keep it clean.

jimtoo

OR,,, you could hire a live in maid,,, called a wife..:),, OUCH,,, OK,, noooo ,,, I dnin't sayy that.. darned erase button... don't work..

EDit..'" Yes Dear... I will go and clean it now...""

Last edited:

danemayer

DocFather,

If you've got a lot of scum built up on the walls, and it's not coming off, try bounce dryer sheets. Dampen and wipe. Then rinse and clean with conventional cleaners. I've also had great success with Dawn mixed with vinegar and sometimes add hydrogen peroxide.

DocFather

Thanks everyone. I will get the different products mentioned PLUS use Jim's idea and give them to my g/f HA HA

jimtoo

Thanks everyone. I will get the different products mentioned PLUS use Jim's idea and give them to my g/f HA HA

Be sure you wear hardhat,,, and steel toe boots,,,,and maybe a...uhh...cup thingey... just in case..upon presentation of the above idea to the g/f.:)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Shin guards and a kevlar vest might be in order.....or hope you can out run her. Jim2 is always starting trouble.

wdk450

I have a routine of washing down all of the shower surfaces with straight hot water before getting out. Do you think this does anything or is a waste of time (and hot water)?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a routine of washing down all of the shower surfaces with straight hot water before getting out. Do you think this does anything or is a waste of time (and hot water)?

Run your fingers over the dry surface, particularly near the bottom. If it feels smooth and slick, it's working. If it feels gritty and your finger drags, not so much.

aatauses

For preventative maintenance we use a typical shower spray ("clean shower, tilex, etc) after each shower and it helps a lot.
al