Batteries

Douglas

Question: Should I disconnect the batteries while I'm hooked to city power 50 amp ? We are residential. We own 2017 Sundance 3280 RES.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Keeping the batteries connected lets the Power Converter maintain a charge on the batteries. And if there's a temporary power outage, you'll still have inside lights, refrigerator and thermostat operation.

It's a good practice to check the battery cell water level every month or two to make sure you don't boil off the water and ruin the batteries.

avvidclif

On the new RV's they have a smart charger and will maintain them in a "ready to go" state. Just check the water every so often (monthly) until you get an idea of usage. On my last RV in almost 2 years I never had to add water.

Last edited:

Domi

I had preped the trailer last night for the trip today. it was going to be below freezing so I left the heater on. sometime during the night the house breaker popped and cut power to the trailer. It ran fine on batteries and did not freeze. I was really glad I had the batteries on.

John

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There really is no good reason to disconnect the battery(s) while using your RV.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless you like taking late night walks in the rainstorm to the public "facility" during a power outage, having a charged battery and some water in your tank is a good thing. If the power's out at your site, it's a good bet that the facility is out as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bohemian

If you have a smart charger, 3 stage charger converter, leave it connrcted and check monthly.

If you have a single stage converter, disconnect batteries and attach to a stand alone 3 stage smart charger.