Battery terminal thing corroded/broken, what to do?

artz

I wasn't sure what to call this thing, so I took a picture so you knew what I'm talking about.

The terminal that connects my battery to the RV is corroded, and not letting electricity in.

I began to disassemble it by loosing the rusted nuts. One of them got stuck, and while turning it, the terminal screw began to turn too. I can not take the nut off.

I am wondering what to do - is this thing replaceable? Should I just attempt to clean it with the screws still attached?

Thanks for your advice!

thingy.JPG

artz

Yes, I am not getting battery juice inside the trailer. This happened last year, and cleaning fixed it then when I was able to disassemble and clean the contacts.

jpajax

After clean it this time I would spray it with something like battery terminal spray or something to protect it from the elements.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try removing the connector completely from the frame to access the backside. You may be able to hold the screw from that side while you remove the nut. Rust (iron oxide) is not a good conductor of electricity. I would consider remounting those connectors inside an exterior grade junction box with rubber grommets where the wires enter/leave it. Those little red rubber boots are not meant to be weather protectors.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Try removing the connector completely from the frame to access the backside. You may be able to hold the screw from that side while you remove the nut. Rust (iron oxide) is not a good conductor of electricity. I would consider remounting those connectors inside an exterior grade junction box with rubber grommets where the wires enter/leave it. Those little red rubber boots are not meant to be weather protectors.
Can't access the back side John. Those are a couple of DC circuit breakers. On the other hand, they only cost a couple bucks to replace.

artz

Would you happen to have a link to a viable replacement part?

I tried unscrewing it but those screws are really hard to turn and get a good grip on with the screwdriver.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to get replacement breakers at any automotive supply house such as NAPA.

Peace
Dave

jpajax

It looks like the mounting screws are self taping and don't have a nut on the back side. It also looks like this some kind of fuse link, if this is I would go to auto parts store and get a weather prof in-line fuse they come in all sizes.

jpajax

Go back to NAPA site type in fuse holder one maybe one to look at is part no. BK7304350.