Bedsaver vs. pinlock

Peteandsharon

Hi all,

Since I have yet to take receipt of my Bighorn 3055, I'm asking a lot of questions to try to get better prepared. I saw a couple of threads related to the bedsaver and it looks very interesting. Not sure why I haven't seen them on rigs before but the concept looks very sound. What I don't understand is what is the difference between the bedsaver and the pinlock. Both are Blue Ox products. The bedsaver seems to get most of the discussion but the pinlock looks like it would work equally well. Any preferences or pros/cons regarding the two products? Am I correct in assuming that they are two ways to get to the same endpoint (safer towing)? Thanks again, PeteNone

I am also looking at the bedsaver product for my hitch and had the same question. But after looking at the pages I have discovered the difference in the two.
Looks like the pin lock locks the pin in place once it is in proper place on hitch.
The bedsaver is for when I make a mistake hitching up. I have read on forums what can happen. Not locking release lever to hitching high on the pin. The bedsaver will catch the pin when it leaves the hitch and slides back. Before it drops on the rails of your truck it will slide in the device.
On one occasion I almost dropped mine when I was distracted and pulled release lever on hitch. Coach was not on landing gear and wheels not chocked. It rolled back about 4 in. When I realized what happened had to make some quick moves. Bedsaver would have caught the coach. That is why I will pick one up next visit to CW.

Peteandsharon

Thanks Ricky,

I'm still not sure why you would need the bedsaver if the pinlock keeps the pin from separating. If one prevents the separation and one catches the pin after separation I guess I'd rather prevent it with the pinlock. Now, having said all that, I have found that it is a moot point for me. I am installing the Reese 16 K classic hitch and according to the application chart the pinlock is not even available for me. So..... I guess the bedsaver it is. But I think I have to wait. I am currently debating whether to install the Reese with or without the slider since I have a shortbed truck. I am trying to see if I can get away without using the slider. If I see that this will not work, I'm going to add the slider to the hitch. Whether or not I have the slider determines which bedsaver I buy. So.... one issue at a time I suppose. Thanks again. Pete

From one who didn't have a bedsaver but now does, I thank you are making a wise investment. Had a fifth wheel for 8 years and only had one drop (thats one to many) cost the ins company 6100 + 500 deductable.

Your welcome

I also have the Reese 16k hitch with slider. I guess I won't be buying the pinlock either. I'v had the slider for two years now and haven't used it once. I had a keystone before and didn't use it and with the Big Country I am sure I will not need it since it has the 88 Deg corners. Thanks for the info on pinlock not ava for Reese.

GaryB

One tip in case you find out that Blue Ox doesn't have a BedSaver or pin lock for your hitch. Call them up and ask for Doug Prokop. He offered to make a BedSaver for me for free, and to pay to/from shipping if I sent him my Curt Q5 20k hitch. They will use my hitch as a pattern so they can offer the BedSaver to other interested Q5 owners. In fact, my hitch is currently at Blue Ox. So, I got lucky!

Gary

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I'm getting one. Period. I know my luck..and it ain't always good. JImB turned me on to this one. And, it will be bought right along with my hitch.

truknutt

Committed Member
trdeal,

JC Whitney currently has the Bedsaver for $189.99 and free shipping at this time. Add a free Blue Ox collapsible cooler to that with the link.

I bought one from them a couple months ago and bolted it right on to my Reese 20K with no trouble at all. It came in three pieces with all the hardware. The only "special tool" needed is a torque wrench.

Dave

P.S. They only come in black; yellow is for demo purposes only.

RubiconAg

P.S. They only come in black; yellow is for demo purposes only.

I have a yellow one......I'm special None

Actually picked up my Husky 24k and bed saver from a UHAUL hitch center that was using them together as their display unit. They were being replaced with the new model.........screaming deal!

caddojay

Tired and Retired member
Wish we had used a bedsaver about 4 years ago. The tell-tale signs of a "mis-hitch" will stay with you for a very long time, or until you sell the truck. Ours didn't drop very far, thankfully, but the little indentations sure do hurt every time I look at them.