best route to Yellowstone NP from Salt Lake UT

Milton_and_PeggySue

Milton and I have been traveling around the country. We left our home in Florida on June 1, stopped in San Antonio, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, Sequoia NP, Yosemite NP, Napa Valley and San Francisco. We are on our way to Salt Lake, then to Yellowstone. We have been on some very scary roads (CA-49 from Sequoia to Yosemite) and don't want to repeat that mistake. Is there a way to get to Yellowstone that doesn't include hairpin turns and driving on cliff edges? Our GPS, made for RV's, has not been helpful. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lynn1130

As I recall we took I-15 to Idaho Falls and then US 20 into the park. Most all of the roads in the park can handle large RVs. The trick with getting around in Yellowstone and other major tourist attractions is to do your large vehicle travel in the early AM. After about 10 AM traffic jams are common.

kseagle

Lynn1130 is correct, I-15 to Idaho Falls then ID-20 to West Yellowstone. Road is good all the way to W-Yellowstone for large RV, no hairpin turns, steep hills or cliff hangers. I would suggest parking your rig in or near W-Yellowstone and doing your sightseeing in the truck alone. Unless you have reservations, camping in the park is hit & miss and you have to be at the campground early for the first-come first-served sites. Check road and weather conditions on the Park's web page as there is on-going construction on the loop roads with some roads closed to through traffic. They also had several inches of snow over Sylvan Pass a couple of days ago. Another reason for not taking the rig into the Park: traffic is really heavy at this time of the year with lots of mini-campers, cars, trucks & tour busses all stopping for wildlife and sightseeing; be prepared for long waits at parking areas if you drive the rig. Early AM is the best time both for less traffic and for wildlife sightings. Enjoy your visit and if you have any other questions about the Park send me a PM.

Lynn1130

During our visits to Yellowstone and to Glacier we would get up early, like before sunrise, have breakfast, do our animal trips and be back for lunch around 11AM. Many of the tourists travel with children and we all know kids don't even start moving until 9 so getting them fed and in the vehicles will put them in the parks from 10 AM on at best. This works well for non-animal sight seeing as the parking lots are nearly empty that time of the morning and photo taking is at its best morning and evening. On top of that as a hunter, I know that most of your night time animals are going to bed around sunrise so get out early to see them.

Just remember that winter comes earlier that far north than it does in Florida. Don't wait until the end of August to try to make mountain passes. Glacier had 16 inches of snow recently and the weather has been so strange that I would not be surprised to see an early winter.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Times 3 on I 15 to Idaho Falls and east on 20 to West Yellowstone. If you wait until September, you will most likely get some snow. From West Yellowstone North on 191 will take you to Bozeman Montana and South will take you to Cody Wyoming. BTW, summer time is when all the road construction is happening in the north, so be prepaired.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
During our visits to Yellowstone and to Glacier we would get up early, like before sunrise, have breakfast, do our animal trips and be back for lunch around 11AM. Many of the tourists travel with children and we all know kids don't even start moving until 9 so getting them fed and in the vehicles will put them in the parks from 10 AM on at best. This works well for non-animal sight seeing as the parking lots are nearly empty that time of the morning and photo taking is at its best morning and evening. On top of that as a hunter, I know that most of your night time animals are going to bed around sunrise so get out early to see them.

Just remember that winter comes earlier that far north than it does in Florida. Don't wait until the end of August to try to make mountain passes. Glacier had 16 inches of snow recently and the weather has been so strange that I would not be surprised to see an early winter.

A few years ago we go caught on top of a mountain pass the first week of June in a White out blizzard and had to wait for the snow plow to get us down. They closed the pass after we got down.

kseagle

Be sure to check on road conditions in Idaho with Idaho 511. We're in Rexburg this weekend and the road signs are saying something about a closure near Ashton which is on the way to Yellowstone on Hwy 20 from Idaho Falls.

Milton_and_PeggySue

We will be taking the I-15 to Hwy 20 route, thanks for all your input. We are currently in Ogden, just north of Salt Lake City. Tomorrow we will head to the campground in Ashton, Idaho. I will check on the road closure also. We'll do our best to get to the park early, too. Great info from everyone, thanks much!

ramdually4100king

We took sob (36') south from Yellowstone on highway 89 through Montpelier. You will pass Bear lake and Grand Teton national park. Very nice scenery. And there are parks in Montpelier and Jackson. We were actually staying on the north side of Yellowstone pulled the trailer through the park and all the way to salt lake without any issues.
Good luck on your trip.

TXTiger

After you visit Yellowstone if you have time on your way east try to make time to visit Custer State Park in South Dakota. You will love it. Much more wildlife to view up close not to mention Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse nearby. I am a volunteer in the park for the summer so if you do come stop in to say hi.