Big Country - 12 volt bedroom tv

Bob Vaughn

The tv in the bedroom is 12volt but there is no 12 volt available anywhere to use it when there is no 120 volt power to power the transformer.........We found out this week as a huge nasty storm went thru knocking down trees and taking down power lines and cable lines......It would have been useful to be able to get weather and news reports Thursday,Friday, and Saturday ......I would like to be able to put in a 12 volt receptacle if I knew where to tap into 12-volt power close to the tv......Those of us who live in hurricane country need this capability...a few years ago a hurricane took out the power for a week.....In 45 years of buying rv's this is the first one I have ever owned that did not have a 12 volt receptacle......

B

bwwalczak

Re: ATF: Big Country - 12 volt bedroom tv

There is 12 volt nearby, but we do not have the 12V plug nearby, you would have to have someone install.

Bob Vaughn

Bob,

There is a 12 Volt light right below the TV.
Not in mine, it is in the ceiling about 3 feet away.......If I had one that close it would be great.....I am looking at the tv antenna power amp as a possible source....

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Bob, go to your local Chevy dealer and get the 12V cell phone plug and the connector harness like in your truck. I just did the same thing so I would have 12V to run the Winegard walk-a-round satellite dome from the front of the BH if I need to. DONT use a cigar liter....you can blow a fuse plugging and unplugging the adapter. If you use the 12V leg of the antenna booster for power, I would install a inline fuse holder to seperate the 2 items. Also find out how many amps the TV will draw and use a fuse rated at that. The cell phone plug should come with 2 pieces. The plug body itself and the screw on part the holds it in place (rear piece). you will need to drill a hole depending on how big the plug body is....not the rear screw on part. I thing mine was a 3/4 or 7/8th hole. Not hard to do and should take about an hour to do. Good Luck.

Bob Vaughn

There is 12 volt nearby, but we do not have the 12V plug nearby, you would have to have someone install.
There is a light on the ceiling in front of the TV but I suspect that there is no way to tap into that wiring and snake a wire to a location above the tv....It feels like the ceiling is pretty solid there...I do not know if there is a void above the ceiling or not....

caissiel

Do you have the antena booster close by. In older trailers we use to have a 12Volt recepticle on the booster.

Bob Vaughn

Do you have the antena booster close by. In older trailers we use to have a 12Volt recepticle on the booster.
My other camper had the 12volt receptacle. in the antenna booster plate, Now that Heartland chose to put a 12volt Tv in the bedroom It just baffles me why they did not put a receptacle there to use it when there is no 120 volts available like we had last week when a storm took out power to about 80,000 homes. I would have loved to be able to watch the weather for the tornado alerts. There were about 20 tornados associated with this storm....

Bob Vaughn

My plate has a connection for cable/antenna and a separate connection for satellite. I just took it down and there is a 12volt connection that I could get power from but I am not sure which is positive and which is negative. I took down the light also and there is a couple of inches of styrofoam. I need to figure how to get thru that to get to the hole I made in the ceiling for the 12volt plug...

GOTTOYS

If Heartland provided the 12 volt television, then I would have made it their problem to provide power for it.. I think I would have figured out how to get power to the plug in the ceiling before I had drilled a hole for it. I hope that works out for you....Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You should be able to get a wire through the foam by using a coat hanger and just punching it through the foam from one hole to the other.

Peace
Dave

gasman

Camp Socializer

My TV shelf is mounted across the front corner next to the closet. I ran a wire inside the closet from the closet light over to a spot behind the
TV and then punched through the interior wall and installed the 12 volt receptacle behind the TV.