Bighorn 3400RL Living Room Slide Awning

hillsonwheels

Hey.....

Just curious if anyone, except for Don Massengil, has installed an awning on their living room slide. Would like to know source, ball park price and any other particulars. Really would like to do that and asked for (and got) a price from RVs For Less to do an automatic one. Did not like their answer. :( Too steep for a fixed income. Manual would be okay for me. And, I believe I could handle the install.

Dick

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What, like this? I had the dealer install it at the end of our 2009 season while in for some other work. Cost was $550 installed. Thinking of putting a smaller one on the entertainment slide window to cut down on the sunlight that hits the desk. That will be a DIY project.

View attachment 17799

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dick, as long as you can find a good upper mounting area, either manual or electric would work out for you. The lower brackets wouldn't be an issue but the upper brackets might be a challenge. Is this something you are looking to do before Seffner? We should talk about this because I've been considering it too.

JohnDar

Ray, there's a video someplace on the 'net about installing one. It doesn't look like they searched for any special mounting point, just screwed it into the wall. If I find it, I'll post a link.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dick, are you talking about a slide topper awning or a window awning? I just installed a window awning a couple of months ago.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

I think Dick is wanting to install a regular awning, not a window awning. Good video though. I think you have the same as our window awning over the 2 windows.

That would be unique. Not sure if there's enough room to mount the arms at the rear, though, with the tall window there by the rear cap. Could be a problem with the corners of the slide outer trim frame making contact with the fabric, too.

But yes, my middle name is "Copycat."

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
That would be unique. Not sure if there's enough room to mount the arms at the rear, though, with the tall window there by the rear cap. Could be a problem with the corners of the slide outer trim frame making contact with the fabric, too.

But yes, my middle name is "Copycat."
I think he's considering mounting the awning to the wall of the slide out. Probably an 11 or 12 foot awning. Just like our window awning but a full patio type awning.

JohnDar

I think he's considering mounting the awning to the wall of the slide out. Probably an 11 or 12 foot awning. Just like our window awning but a full patio type awning.

Hadn't considered that idea. That might require finding strong points to mount the arms so they don't pull off the wall due to the weight. I would be concerned with the depth of that awning bringing it much closer to the ground than the main awning and creating a head smack zone. Setting it out at a shallow angle to avoid that might cause it to be loose or collect water quickly and not drain. That's definitely not a good thing. Just things to be considered.

scotty

Hadn't considered that idea. That might require finding strong points to mount the arms so they don't pull off the wall due to the weight. I would be concerned with the depth of that awning bringing it much closer to the ground than the main awning and creating a head smack zone. Setting it out at a shallow angle to avoid that might cause it to be loose or collect water quickly and not drain. That's definitely not a good thing. Just things to be considered.
:D Ya always got throw logic in, spoils the fun, but agree that could br an issue

hillsonwheels

Man.........it's scarey when you post something and take too long to look for possible answers or conversation. It's almost like you folks can jump in a guys head and start answering questions for him. I guess it really was Ray, which is OK, because he's right about I want to do.

Ray, if you're really interested in the same install, we do need to talk. Maybe we could order some parts and get together to provide each other an assist. Let's talk toward the weekend. Got minor thumb surgery sked for tomorrow morning.

Dick

f250dieseldad

Dick, Our Bighorn is at the dealer having the awning installed. I will have Queenie post some pictures when we get it back.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
IMG_0455.jpgIMG_0400.jpgIMG_0466.jpg Dick - sorry it took so long to respond. Yes-we had RVS for Less put on an electric patio awning on the living slide. Oh my - what a difference.

ncc1701e

View attachment 17832View attachment 17833View attachment 17834 Dick - sorry it took so long to respond. Yes-we had RVS for Less put on an electric patio awning on the living slide. Oh my - what a difference.

Byrd, Nice looking trailer. I should warn you about something. Millie really like that 3450 when she saw it. Since I can't afford to upgrade to one, unless you are prepared to adopt her I would suggest you don't let her back in that kitchen because I'm not sure I'll be able to drag her out this time. LOL.

Nabo

Don't worry Tom - we'll adopt Millie as long as she brings one of the wonder cakes.

hillsonwheels

I'm thinking there must be a Nabo imposter posting! :D I know how the real Mr. Nabo feels about his TV reception. So, whaddup with the coach antenna being in the "tall up" position in two of the pictures? :eek:

Dick

Nabo

Sorry Dick - that's my fault. I wanted local TV station while we were vacationing on Edisto Beach State Park, SC which was out of our local home station range. The HD dish was up on the backside of the coach to get the more important sateliite stuff (ESPN, FOXSport, etc).
B--