Bighorn factory shocks?

NHCelt

So my new Bighorn has probably 4000 miles on it, and I am planning to upgrade the shocks to Bilsteins because I know the quality of oem shocks is pretty low. I'm not in a hurry, but am curious as to the life expectancy of the oem shocks...or have I already exceeded it :rolleyes: This is the first fifth wheel we have had with shocks, but I know my oem Silverado shocks were mush real quick....as were the Ford F350 before that.

Thanks...celt.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My guestimate is that I have somewhere between 30 - 40,000 miles on my rig with the OEM shocks.
I can't do the 'jump on the bumper' test to find out if they are still good, but they probably should be replaced.
You should be good for a while yet.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Interesting...wonder if it would void warranty?

Warranties cover manufacturing and assembly defects on the original equipment. Any time you modify the trailer, there's risk that the modification isn't done correctly, or that the modification itself has a defect. Those situations would have to be worked out with the installer or the provider of the modification. If there's consequential damage to other parts of the trailer, that would never be covered under warranty because it's not a manufacturing or assembly defect with the original equipment.

rxbristol

So my new Bighorn has probably 4000 miles on it, and I am planning to upgrade the shocks to Bilsteins because I know the quality of oem shocks is pretty low. I'm not in a hurry, but am curious as to the life expectancy of the oem shocks...or have I already exceeded it :rolleyes: This is the first fifth wheel we have had with shocks, but I know my oem Silverado shocks were mush real quick....as were the Ford F350 before that.

Thanks...celt.

I installed the Bilsteins recently and there are a couple things you need to be aware of. The top stem is a little longer and there is not enough threads for he nut, so you'll need a slightly longer top bushing or use two bushings so the nut can be tightened. Second, it required all my strength to compress the shock to get it into place. Because Bilstein shocks do not have anything to grab onto, at the top of the shock, I used my socket wrench with a deep-well socket to go over the stem to compress it. My muscles were sore for the next two days. You can get a little more clearance by taking all or most of the weight off the wheels, that way you'll not have to compress the shock as far, allows you a little more room to remove the socket and time to line the shock up to the upper hole. Remember, you'll need to "charge" (compress the shock a few times--I put the top stem onto a block of wood and leaned into the shock using my body weight for the charging process) before you try to install it, otherwise, unless you're a body builder, you'll probably not be able to compress it while you're crouched under the wheel well.

NHCelt

I installed the Bilsteins recently and there are a couple things you need to be aware of. The top stem is a little longer and there is not enough threads for he nut, so you'll need a slightly longer top bushing or use two bushings so the nut can be tightened. Second, it required all my strength to compress the shock to get it into place. Because Bilstein shocks do not have anything to grab onto, at the top of the shock, I used my socket wrench with a deep-well socket to go over the stem to compress it. My muscles were sore for the next two days. You can get a little more clearance by taking all or most of the weight off the wheels, that way you'll not have to compress the shock as far, allows you a little more room to remove the socket and time to line the shock up to the upper hole. Remember, you'll need to "charge" (compress the shock a few times--I put the top stem onto a block of wood and leaned into the shock using my body weight for the charging process) before you try to install it, otherwise, unless you're a body builder, you'll probably not be able to compress it while you're crouched under the wheel well.

They are stiff...I added them to my truck and they were a big improvement. Those came strapped closed with a suggestion not to cut the strap until you are in place, but I recall that didn't work out so good for some reason. Have you noticed any improvement towing?

rxbristol

They are stiff...I added them to my truck and they were a big improvement. Those came strapped closed with a suggestion not to cut the strap until you are in place, but I recall that didn't work out so good for some reason. Have you noticed any improvement towing?

I have not towed with them, yet. After my last trip, the Monroes could not hold up and leaked oil--plus, two were totally shot and I knew that they had to be replaced. My choices seemed limited, OEM, Monroes, or Bilstens. I know two brands don't work...