Bighorn issues

yepuhuh

After reading several posts on water damage and slides I went out and checked mine and lo and behold I have water damage on the lr slide near the entrance door.

Do yourself a favor, when you buy one of these beast go around every imaginable seam and make there is sufficient caulking at the seams. I originally missed this one I guess, but the others are going to get re-gooped and sealed as a precaution.

I am still a little discouraged by HL and lack of quality. My unit is a 2011 bighorn 3585rl . We just got back off a 3 week trip and I always go around and perform inspections and found some wood rot. Thank goodness this forum has a lot of information pertaining to this and I found mine in time. They really need to use a marine board or at least paint the wood with waterproof material.

When you spend your lfetime savings on one of these and it has a short lifespan it makes no sense to buy them.

Carry on. I'm off to lowe's to get material to seal the beast.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your leak is showing up below the window of that slide, be sure to caulk the window. Top and two sides.
The window was the culprit on my leak.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

yepuhuh

Thanks Dave for the reminder. I am caulking everything.......Coach will weigh 5 pounds more!

ParkIt

Watched a youtube video on stripping and re-caulking the slides, it had some great information on what to use and how to use it. Sure gives incentive to re-do all the slides and check any place else that is caulk sealed.

Interesting part: it was on a high end newer MH. It isn't just Heart Land, its just about every factory out there that doesn't always get a good seal on the slides.

wdk450

Watched a youtube video on stripping and re-caulking the slides, it had some great information on what to use and how to use it. Sure gives incentive to re-do all the slides and check any place else that is caulk sealed.

Interesting part: it was on a high end newer MH. It isn't just Heart Land, its just about every factory out there that doesn't always get a good seal on the slides.

Could you please supply us that link?

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
I also had the same leak on my 2011 3585 and, yes, the water came from the small window by the door. The dealer fixed it during warranty and it has been dry since then.

yepuhuh

Sealed window , sealed underneath taking out those plastic runners and put aluminum in their place and all caulked up . even treated the actual flooring with denatured alcohol and shellac and allowed the wood to soak it up as in wicking. Still have a leak in the area floor by that wall. I have sealed everywhere I can think of.

yepuhuh

Had to totally remove the window. Found where it was still leaking but just a little leak. I'll post pictures later. The side was not sealed around the window at all when I started digging caulk out there was water trapped. Hasn't rained in in 10 days!