Black Tank Issue?

stevebotts

Last night we noticed an unpleasant odor in the RV. This AM it was much worse. We figured out it was coming from the basement. After removing the basement wall we located very stinky water sitting on top of the black tank. The water had accumulated around where the toilet pipe enters the tank. It had been a week since the black tank had been dumped. Is it possible the tank filled and was leaking around the pipe entry into the tank and sitting on top of the tank? The water did smell somewhat like sewage but not as bad as I would have expected. We I poured Clorox on the water before beginning to sop it up, and when we did it foamed up. I do not know if Clorox foams up on sewage. Has anyone had or heard of this happening?

sengli

saw a post here a while back about someone here had a brand new big country coach, with the same odor issue. Turned out the black tank was cracked between the vent, and commode inlets on top of the tank. Our new coach has that distinct odor as well, going to look into into further in the spring.

B

BouseBill

Stevebotts: We had the coach with the cracked black tank. Our service rep up at the dealership said the factory placed the vent tube to close to the down tube for the toilet waste. When the black tank filled it expanded and cracked between the two tubes. Our coach was still under warranty at the time so they had to remove and replace the black tank.

Our thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ls-like-cat-urine!!?highlight=cat+urine+smell

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Amonia (in urine) + Chlorine (in Clorox) don't mix. They can release a harmful vapor. Just do an internet search for mixing ammonia and bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Amonia (in urine) + Chlorine (in Clorox) don't mix. They can release a harmful vapor. Just do an internet search for mixing ammonia and bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you say Ammonium Chloride...a nasty nasty stuff...dont mix ammonia and chlorine.

slaytop

This reply may be too late, but I found the vent and the toilet down pipes screwed into fittings on top of the black tank. My vent pipe leaked because insufficient paste was applied to the threads of the adaptor fitting. Since the pipes were glued into the adaptor I had to cut the vent pipe, repaste and install a new fitting. I used a slip over coupler to reassemble the drain. Actually, I had to drop the tank and reinstall both pipes - not an easy job.