black tank valve

caissiel

Nice feed back, and thanks for the oil in the water idea. I would think that the oil would float in the water and be last to flow out and coat the lines and valves.

Bobby A

The valve slides most likely need to be removed and coated with water resistant silicone whenever that is feasible. It does seem to help the Grey tanks in our experience. If you are in an area of very hard water then a lot of the issues are soap scum and hard water deposits that form.

I really don't wanna drop the underbelly right now, great thought on the hard water, our campgrounds we stay at in the summer has very hard water. Thanks for the info.

SmokeyBare

Perhaps it would help with the Hard water mineral build up on the gray water dump valves to use a vinegar. It's a natural product (Cider Vinegar) and it is a acid that helps clean the coffee pot build up of hard water minerals. Might be worth a try for very little cost of a couple bottles of the stuff.

Marv

Elder1

I would be leery of using FF oil, you may find a flock of seagulls chasing you down the road :)

Great post, going to try the oil thing myself.

Thanks

Bobby A

Perhaps it would help with the Hard water mineral build up on the gray water dump valves to use a vinegar. It's a natural product (Cider Vinegar) and it is a acid that helps clean the coffee pot build up of hard water minerals. Might be worth a try for very little cost of a couple bottles of the stuff.

Marv

Marv, I think you mean white vinegar don't cha ?? thats what your supposed to use to clean out coffee pots.

Thats a good idea as long as it won't harm the seals in the valve, maybe someone knows ??

SmokeyBare

Bobby,

I use Cider Vinegar... but sure white vinegar does the exact same thing. Both are 5% to 8% Acetic Acid. Both should give the same results.

Since storage is an issue for us full timing, I tend to eliminate some items. We don't always have white vinegar on hand. I always have Cider Vinegar though. When we cook western pork ribs, we'll use a little to help tenderize the meat as it cooks. Yep... more info than needed huh. :)

It shouldn't do damage to the plumbing. Remember the plumbing is much like what's used in a Stick built house. Vinegar is far less damaging to the Septic Systems than Drano or some other type of drain cleaner. (in my opinion)

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Bobby,

I use Cider Vinegar... but sure white vinegar does the exact same thing. Both are 5% to 8% Acetic Acid. Both should give the same results.

Since storage is an issue for us full timing, I tend to eliminate some items. We don't always have white vinegar on hand. I always have Cider Vinegar though. When we cook western pork ribs, we'll use a little to help tenderize the meat as it cooks. Yep... more info than needed huh. :)

It shouldn't do damage to the plumbing. Remember the plumbing is much like what's used in a Stick built house. Vinegar is far less damaging to the Septic Systems than Drano or some other type of drain cleaner. (in my opinion)

Marv try putting a couple tablespoons of baking soda down the trap 1st followed up by vinegar. Its a natural p-trap cleaner and cool to watch.....Kenny

SmokeyBare

Ken, I'll take Pictures :D when you give a demonstration of your :eek: "P Trap Volcano" :rolleyes: Baking Soda & Vinegar trick !! LOL

The vinegar I was suggesting was a possible tool to help remove any calcium build up on the dump valves. Seems some folks feel their valves are getting difficult to open & close because of hard water deposits. T'was only a simple home remedy idea.

Marv

wdk450

A Hint from Motorcycle Cables

If you go to a motorcycle store, they have a lube expressly for control cables. What I used a long time ago had suspended Molydenum powder in it, had an adapter to pressure spray right into the cable jacket, and made an unbelievable difference in a sticky clutch cable I had.

For the valve itself, you might try this:
http://tweetys.com/drainvalvelubricant.aspx