Blowing 30 amp fuse on electric 5th wheel landing gear.

beefman

I have a 2009 3210 Cyclone. When using the electric landing gear to lower or raise the unit, it blows the 30 amp fuse. I've lubricated the drop tubes with silicone and that has not helped. I've checked the electrical connections and wiring and all looks good. Has anyone else had this problem??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Beefman and welcome to the forum. Lots of great information here, as you may have already found out.
While I don't have electric landing gear I do have an idea. Lubrication.
You can pop the the cap off the top of the landing gear legs and get some lube down in there.
One member drilled holes in his legs to be able to squirt grease onto the worm gear.
Attached is a file that shows the gears.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• Landing_Gear_-_Specs.pdf
    276.1 KB · Views: 115

Speedy

I just finished swapping out the 30 amp fuse with a 30 amp breaker. Wired into the same spot that the 50 amp slide breaker was. Replaced the 50 amp slide breaker with a 80 amp. Both were easily tripped/blown.

57chevyconvt

Suggest that you do a forum search on the subject of "landing gear". There has been a great deal published on the forum as to problems and fixes to landing gear assemblies. If you are having a problem locating this information, I am sure one of the forum moderators would be glad to assist you in finding this information. Lubrication is important but not are landing gear problems are related to lubrication, i.e., reduction gear box failure is one. Some of these gear boxes have plastic housings which might be the case with your unit. Venture sells an upgraded gear box with aluminum housing for about $80 but there is an alternate brand that is a direct replacement for about half that price. I don't remember the other supplier of this gear box. Maybe someone that is reading this post can give you more details.

PUG

Pug
I had an 09 model 3950 with the electric landing gear. When it first started blowing the fuses (right from the git go) I talked to Heartland and they sent out a heavier duty motor. This helped but did not cure it. Eventually I purchased a dual motor conversion kit and installed it. It worked well and cured the problem. You add a second motor, disconnect the two sides, and add a different landing gear on one side. What it boils down to is the single motor system is way to overloaded and doesnt work. There are tons of posts concerning this problem.,

olcoon

I had this problem this last winter on the way to Texas, on our Elk Ridge and it was my fault. First time it happened, I was raising the jacks, and got sidetracked & the jacks quit going up. Looked all over for the fuse & finally found the inline fuse & it was blown. The problem was that when I got sidetracked, I raised the jacks too high & they bottomed out & blew the fuse. I've even got a black line painted all around the legs so I'll know when I'm about to bottom them out. Replaced the fuse & all was well, until the next time I got sidetracked. Now I'm back to the routine of putting the blinders on, & ear plugs on when I'm raising or lowering the jacks.

donr827

I had this problem this last winter on the way to Texas, on our Elk Ridge and it was my fault. First time it happened, I was raising the jacks, and got sidetracked & the jacks quit going up. Looked all over for the fuse & finally found the inline fuse & it was blown. The problem was that when I got sidetracked, I raised the jacks too high & they bottomed out & blew the fuse. I've even got a black line painted all around the legs so I'll know when I'm about to bottom them out. Replaced the fuse & all was well, until the next time I got sidetracked. Now I'm back to the routine of putting the blinders on, & ear plugs on when I'm raising or lowering the jacks.

I raised mine too high one time and blew the fuse. Like Roy I painted a black line telling me when to stop.
Don

mobilcastle

I raised mine too high one time and blew the fuse. Like Roy I painted a black line telling me when to stop.
Don
I painted a red line on mine and also drilled through the square the casing and I oil the Jack screw. The jack screw nut will rust if not lubricated and the problems start with the single motor. I did this and I have had no problems with the single motor. Also take off the cap at the top of the landing gear and keep grease on the gear.Good luck.