California HWY 1 scenic route

Sandy1977

Do NOT take Highway 1 in California. We took HWY 1 . It was white knuckle hard right and hard left turns. No where to pull over for a break or emergency.
Took 7 hrs straight driving to go about 200 miles. Terrified all the way. Curve warning signs say 15mph. Better not go over 10.
Narrow 2 lane, no shoulder. Hard right & left turns one after another. Drove from San Francisco north.
Save yourself, do NOT drive California Hwy 1.

wdk450

Do NOT take Highway 1 in California. We took HWY 1 . It was white knuckle hard right and hard left turns. No where to pull over for a break or emergency.
Took 7 hrs straight driving to go about 200 miles. Terrified all the way. Curve warning signs say 15mph. Better not go over 10.
Narrow 2 lane, no shoulder. Hard right & left turns one after another. Drove from San Francisco north.
Save yourself, do NOT drive California Hwy 1.

I am assuming you are talking about Highway 1 on the Central Coast between San Simeon and Big Sur, the most scenic highway in California. THERE ARE RV LENGTH RESTRICTION SIGNS ON THIS SECTION OF ROADWAY, but you also frequently see commercial tour buses driving it. There are other sections of Highway 1 in Marin and Sonoma counties North of San Francisco which are also pretty winding, but not as bad as on the Central Coast. US 101 is a more inland, not as scenic, but a MUCH easier drive, that parallels CA 1 much of the North South route. The two routes actually share roadway in various parts of the state, like the Golden Gate Bridge.

Lynn1130

Also known as PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) I think there are other posts with people asking about routes and me along with others have suggested that this is not a route to take with a RV. This is a route for sports cars and motorcycles.

happykraut

I've taken this road twice pulling my fifth wheels from Portland, OR to about 25 mi North of San Francisco. I've done it in both directions and enjoyed every mile. It is a taxing drive, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. Very beautiful scenery.

Aandaar

Done this Hwy a few times. IMO no worst the Priest Grade going into Yosemite. Just a heck of a lot longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I spent a year and a half in Point Arena, Ca in the USCG in 1967-1969. Better to tow North vs South for your shotgun mate. Towed a small bumper pull down it South bound years later, however I knew what to expect.

Chris

mlpeloquin

Well you got your seat of the pants ride! Only did this in a sports car. If you do not know better, then you are in for one heck of a ride. Short trailers, 25ft or less, can go south from Monterey to Big Sir for dry camping. Great for short class C and B as well.

SNOKING

OP said "Drove from San Francisco north." Save yourself, do NOT drive California Hwy 1" I do not think he went South.

wdk450

NEWS ALERT!!!!
According to the L.A. television news YOU CANNOT DRIVE THROUGH ON CALIFORNIA HIGHWAY 1 FROM SAN SIMEON TO MONTEREY FOR THE INDEFINITE FUTURE. Wet winter storms have eroded the footings on a vital bridge, the Pheiffer Canyon Bridge, and that bridge is scheduled to be blown up today to facilitate at least a year's reconstruction time. On other stretches of this route there are reported rockslides with boulders.

Multiple news sources confirm this, but it doesn't seem to be reflected in the Caltrans Road Conditions website. It may be slow to update.

See: http://www.dot.ca.gov/cgi-bin/roads.cgi to check California road conditions online, and the automated telephone number is also listed there.