Calling all axle guru's...calling all axle guru's...

Sniper

I suspect my front axle has twisted in the u-bolts. I can see nothing broken, and the leaf springs are still properly in their perches. If the axle has twisted inside the u-bolts is this something I can fix myself here in the campground myself, or is the axle gonna need reset to a specific degree. The first hint that something was out of wack was the both front tires were "crowning" like they were way over inflated, but all 4 tires are at 80lbs.

GEDC1387.jpg Drivers side. (front axle is to the left in the pic)

GEDC1388.jpgPassenger side. (front axle is to the right in the pic)

GEDC1389.jpgPassenger side. (front axle to the right in the pic)

GEDC1390.jpgPassenger side. Again front axle is to the ride, and visible forward and higher up in the opening.

Any input is appreciated. Great way to start our first trip of the year! WOO HOO! :)

jnbhobe

I doubt if anything is wrong, those are the equalizers, they will sit in different positions depending on how the trailer is setting.

Sniper

I doubt if anything is wrong, those are the equalizers, they will sit in different positions depending on how the trailer is setting.
It's been sitting just like that the last 2 stops a rest area with the suspension fully loaded (the first 3 pictures), and in the last picture it is sitting on a level concrete pad with the big foot levelers down with hardly any weight on the suspension at all, and like I said both front tires are crowning. Something isn't right

Kbvols

Hey Sniper,
I am no axle guru at all with that said though did you look at the axle under the trailer? The axle's are normally crowned or bowed in the middle of the axle and should be positioned with the crown/bow up. I would think if the axles did turn that crown/bow would not be at the top. It may also be your springs. Just looking at the pictures you posted your springs look somewhat flattened out....again I am certainly no expert.

I replaced all my springs last year and the equalizer sand put in wet bolts. I went up to heavier spring pack when I replaced the old ones made a big difference in how the trailer rode.

I would consider getting rid of those towmax tires also. Too many stories of failures. I kept mine on for a year then replaced them wasn't worth the worry.

Anyway hope you get figured out and it doesn't end up costing you and arm and a leg so to speak...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danemayer

Sniper,

The pictures show Towmax tires. The crowning is very likely the internal belts having broken. If that's correct, you are going to have one or more tires blow out in the immediate future causing body damage to your rig.

I would recommend you have all the tires, including the spare, replaced before going anywhere. You should also consider contacting NHTSA and making one or more tires available for inspection. If they determine the tires have a manufacturing defect, their finding could result in help to numerous owners. You'll need the sidewall codes in order to file a report with NHTSA.

wrgrs50s

Check the leaf spring to see if it is flat. If it has flattened out(collapsed) it becomes longer and may be the culprit. As far as the wear on the tires, it may or may not be due to the current alignment. The towmax brand tires are notorious for uneven treadwear.

Keep us posted as to what you find.

wdk450

Besides everything else mentioned, I would check that the u-bolt nuts on the axles are torqued up to spec - 65 ft. lbs. This needs to be done on a regular basis as the metal in the u-bolts actually stretches some.

jimtoo

The tires for sure need to be replaced before you go any place else. Those tires, if original, are 5-6 years old. You have been very lucky to get by without blowing or throwing the tread.

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sniper,

The pictures show Towmax tires. The crowning is very likely the internal belts having broken. If that's correct, you are going to have one or more tires blow out in the immediate future causing body damage to your rig.

I would recommend you have all the tires, including the spare, replaced before going anywhere. You should also consider contacting NHTSA and making one or more tires available for inspection. If they determine the tires have a manufacturing defect, their finding could result in help to numerous owners. You'll need the sidewall codes in order to file a report with NHTSA.

Dan is right!! I recognize it, from our experiences! If you look at the circumference of the two tires, one is much bigger than the other. The belts inside have broken, and it is only a matter of time before the rubber lets go! Change your tires, and your equalizers will go back to normal.

Tire, once removed:
663b9c339f4471be9186b74e0c424c73.jpg

Here's what it looked like prior to removal, you can sorta see the bulge/crowning and a larger space between some of the tread.

b06a7ece8d5ca23042003e587ed466a4.jpg

mlpeloquin

Equalizers are fine. They will move depending on how even or uneven the ground under them is. I replaced all bolts with wet bolts and bronze bearings. Made a difference. And Towmax isn't known as blow max for nothing. Keep them if you don't mind 2 to 3k of body damage. It is not if they will blow, but when.

danemayer

Maybe this will help. The top line is parallel to the bottom line. Notice the size of the tire on the right compared to the left. Also notice fender vertical clearance.

Tires2.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'm late to the party but from the looks of the picture, your about ready for a blowout. Dan's right (again) that tire is crowning making it taller then the others. hopefully you'll make it to the tire shop. You might want to put on your spare to save yourself some body damage when it goes..

GWRam

Sniper,
The photo that really helps is the one Dan drew lines on. Your tire, tires if the opposing tire is the same, has already failed. The internal separation just hasn't blown the tire apart yet.
Replacing the tires before moving the unit again would be your safest bet. Also, consider deflating the tires, at least partially, from the 80psi before working around them.
You really don't want the tires blowing apart when you are sitting next to them or have your hands on them.
Dave

rhodies1

Hello Sniper,I had a smiliar issue. Take and measure each spring length. Measure from connection of centre rear eye bolt to centre of front eye bolt on equalizer, each spring should be 26 inches in length. For your axle to roll in the u bolts,the bolts would have to be very loose. On the bottom of each spring is a centre bolt, if your spring are very loose, it is possible that it has rolled and cut of the centre bolt, the bolt sits in a opening on top of the axle bracket which when the u bolts are tightened holds every thing in line. A good contact to send your pictures to for advise is John Jurek at Dexter Axle, he is a suspension expert.Give him your spring measurements as well,he was helpful for my issue, I had a collasped spring,Heartland replaced with 8k springs, if this is you're problem and you replace with heavier springs ,you will need longer u bolts due to the extra leaf in the heavier springs.Good luck.

Bones

I'm late to the party as well. Your tire looks bad. Measure from the ground up to the crown of each tire and that will show you the diameter difference. I have 5 Towmax tires just sitting around right now because of all the issues I hear from them.

rhodies1

I suspect my front axle has twisted in the u-bolts. I can see nothing broken, and the leaf springs are still properly in their perches. If the axle has twisted inside the u-bolts is this something I can fix myself here in the campground myself, or is the axle gonna need reset to a specific degree. The first hint that something was out of wack was the both front tires were "crowning" like they were way over inflated, but all 4 tires are at 80lbs.

View attachment 44550 Drivers side. (front axle is to the left in the pic)

View attachment 44551Passenger side. (front axle is to the right in the pic)

View attachment 44552Passenger side. (front axle to the right in the pic)

View attachment 44553Passenger side. Again front axle is to the ride, and visible forward and higher up in the opening.

Any input is appreciated. Great way to start our first trip of the year! WOO HOO! :)

Helo again Sniper, take pictures of each axle where the spring is setting on the axle and post, this will allow us to see if your axle has moved,the axle sets on a bracket welded to the axle, look to see if any of these axle bracket welds have failed allowing your axle to move, you have an definite issue with your suspension besides having blow max tires on your unit.Tires have nothing to do with your equalizer being twisted like your pics show,your unit is setting with both wheels on the ground so the equalizers should be directly centre between the wheels not canted like in your pics.

- - - Updated - - -

Helo again Sniper, take pictures of each axle where the spring is setting on the axle and post, this will allow us to see if your axle has moved,the axle sets on a bracket welded to the axle, look to see if any of these axle bracket welds have failed allowing your axle to move, you have an definite issue with your suspension besides having blow max tires on your unit.Tires have nothing to do with your equalizer being twisted like your pics show,your unit is setting with both wheels on the ground so the equalizers should be directly centre between the wheels not canted like in your pics.

Hello Sniper again. if you cut off a centre bolt on one of your springs , unless you have a floor jack,some straps to hold the axle from moving, clamps to hold the spring leafs together etc, unfortunately no you will not be able to fix in a campground.you will need to have a trailer repair shop complete the work, it's a large task.I replaced al 4 of my springs and equalizers in my yard myself but had the gear required.It took me about 6 hrs to do it all.

Sniper

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Sniper again. if you cut off a centre bolt on one of your springs , unless you have a floor jack,some straps to hold the axle from moving, clamps to hold the spring leafs together etc, unfortunately no you will not be able to fix in a campground.you will need to have a trailer repair shop complete the work, it's a large task.I replaced al 4 of my springs and equalizers in my yard myself but had the gear required.It took me about 6 hrs to do it all.
Appreciate all the comments everybody. I knew when the Tow Max tires were in the picture that would stir quite the uproar. No, our tires are not 6 years old, they are 3 years old (build date 3613), and have been in service 2 years. We have plans to upgrade both wheels and tires, and in fact we had just discussed that last week. it seems highly unlikely that both front axle tires would start having issues due to the brand of tire at the exact same time when it obvious that the axle is not sitting right, however it is agreed we are in for at least 2 new tires, along with fixing the axle before our return trip. I think we have found a mobile RV repair, and will be giving them a call when they open this morning. In the mean time, I'll crawl my broken down arse under there after I finish my coffee, and try to get some pics of the springs. Thanks again everyone for your help, concerns and well wishes. I'll keep ya posted, and rhodies1 I have been informed by the Commander that we are on vacation, and therefore I will not be touching anything that's more than a 10 minute fix. :) God love her.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Your axles are fine !!!! It is just because of your tire is failing ...
Do this then if you going to crawl under there measure from the axle to the ground on both axles in the same place on the axle. Both measurements should be the same. If there not, you have one tire bigger then the other.
Unless you actually have two different size tires on there. LOL you found your problem.
I'm guessing it looks like you going the find about 1" or more difference in that measurement

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bones

Your axles are fine !!!! It is just because of your tire is failing ...
Do this then if you going to crawl under there measure from the axle to the ground on both axles in the same place on the axle. Both measurements should be the same. If there not, you have one tire bigger then the other.
Unless you actually have two different size tires on there. LOL you found your problem.
I'm guessing it looks like you going the find about 1" or more difference in that measurement

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree measure your tires first. That is a ten minute job and you eliminated one issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Use a square from the face of the tire to the top tread and then measure from the ground up to the top of the square on each tire.