Cameras in and around your RV - anyone do this or interested in doing it?

jbeletti

Would be cool to figure out how to use around the RV too when away ... but need the A/C power is resolved. Love the idea of one viewing my height under bridges too :)

Glenn - take a look at the transformers used. You'll likely find them to be 110 VAC to 12 VDC. This means from a direct powering perspective, you should be able to use them in the RV without AC power. In my coach on all my projects, where possible, I always try to DC power everything.

Dennyha

When we travel, we use a Verizon JetPack for internet access, so my concern is, if even when I'm not looking at the video on my iphone, am I paying data charges for video to upload "somewhere" so it is available if I were to look. On my dropcam at home, it is transferring video 24 hours a day to a website where it can be accessed by my phone. I can't afford for that to happen on my JetPack where I'm using data from my phone's dataplan. Hope this makes sense.

DocFather

When we travel, we use a Verizon JetPack for internet access, so my concern is, if even when I'm not looking at the video on my iphone, am I paying data charges for video to upload "somewhere" so it is available if I were to look. On my dropcam at home, it is transferring video 24 hours a day to a website where it can be accessed by my phone. I can't afford for that to happen on my JetPack where I'm using data from my phone's dataplan. Hope this makes sense.

I have 6 cameras up and running as we speak. My usage is strictly "in-house" over my wi-fi. Therefore it is strictly inTRAnet aka local LAN/network - no inTERnet and no data useage. If I disconnected my wifi router from my cable internet modem, my cameras still work as I set them up. --- When I take 3 of these cameras out to my 4100, same deal. The only time you would be using any internet data or cell-phone carrier network data is if you accessed these cameras while you are away from the RV park or wherever you are camping.

Geodude

If your cameras are uploading video data to somewhere outside your home network then your data plan at home is paying for that upload traffic. As soon as you start looking at the video on your phone from a location outside your home, then you are paying for the downloading of the video data to your phone, presuming you are on a mobile network. Yes, you pay twice. That's why I would like to avoid buying anything that uses cloud (i.e. someone else's computer) for storage.

lynndiwagoner

As I mentioned earlier, I'm using an old laptop running Contaware http://www.contaware.com/contacam.html in the rig on a local area network just like Doc. It can be set up to record motion on the hard drive. I whacked off the transformer on my router and hardwired it to 12vdc through a switch. Local operation only.

Geodude

Contaware looks interesting, I'll have to try it. Thanks for mentioning it.

I've been using At Home, which is also freeware that handles up to four cameras. I had it running a web cam (an old Android phone) and the camera on a laptop, but found the software doesn't don't handle the camera settings well at all when it comes to a camera looking out at snow in the bright sunlight or nighttime scenes at any time of year. It's the old Android phone that looks out at the front yard. I went back to using IP Webcam for that one since it manages the camera very well.

HornedToad

All this tech talk sounds like it answers my question, but it's all Greek to me. Fortunately my future son-in-law is a techno geek and can help me with this type of project.

My concern is leaving the dogs in the trailer while I'm gone during the day this summer and if the power / AC fails it would be like leaving them in a hot car.

Other than fixing a camera on a large wall thermometer, is there a way to monitor the temperature and receive an alert at a set point? Am I watching too many TV commercials for monitored alarm systems... Has anyone had a vendor install a monitored alarm in their RV at a fixed site?

ADDED LINK: THIS IS IT... I don't need to see the dogs, just make sure they don't have heat stroke!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Alerts...30&sr=8-1&keywords=remote+temperature+monitor

La Crosse Alerts 926-25101-GP Wireless Monitor System Set with Dry Probe
Monitor temperature and humidity remotely for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week Use your smartphone, tablet, or computer to remotely monitor temperature and humidity levels that affect your home, business, or vacation rentals. Prevent freezer burn, food spoilage, and mold. Monitor indoor temperature & humidity with the sensor in your refrigerator, freezer, or food storage with the 6ft detachable dry probe. Add multiple sensors for other areas. Receive text, email and/or app notifications, when MIN/MAX levels are exceeded, when connection is lost, or if the batteries are weak. La Crosse Alerts Mobile - your home's homepage!

Last edited:

ndmac

We are seasonal campers right now and we had folks in the CG (sleepy town) had little things happen through the week.
I was compelled install night vision/Color Camera system to watch site while we were away few days through the week.

Within one week after install on a Thursday @ 2 am while we were sleeping we had two men going through out things out side the camper they took some items but nothing we would not have gave to them it they would have stopped by and asked for, but its creepy knowing they were there and rifling through our stuff.

Not only does it help with keep and eye on humans, but you can clearly identify what got into your trash and how to prevent them from doing again.
We thought we had raccoons getting into our trash. We put heavy rocks on lid and found out that cat's were knocking over the can to defeat the rock and help them selves to the contents. Now trash can cannot be knocked over and no more picking it up!

Another thing it helps with is you can monitor your awnings when away from RV. Had to go back couple of times and retract them.

Bottom line for us is it gives us some piece of mind. So well worth the money.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We are seasonal campers right now and we had folks in the CG (sleepy town) had little things happen through the week.
I was compelled install night vision/Color Camera system to watch site while we were away few days through the week.

Within one week after install on a Thursday @ 2 am while we were sleeping we had two men going through out things out side the camper they took some items but nothing we would not have gave to them it they would have stopped by and asked for, but its creepy knowing they were there and rifling through our stuff.

Not only does it help with keep and eye on humans, but you can clearly identify what got into your trash and how to prevent them from doing again.
We thought we had raccoons getting into our trash. We put heavy rocks on lid and found out that cat's were knocking over the can to defeat the rock and help them selves to the contents. Now trash can cannot be knocked over and no more picking it up!

Another thing it helps with is you can monitor your awnings when away from RV. Had to go back couple of times and retract them.

Bottom line for us is it gives us some piece of mind. So well worth the money.

Why do you leave your awning out? It is always a good idea to store them away when leaving your RV, even if you tie them down. We have personally seen the wind destroy many folks awnings that were securely tied down. Why take a change? Did you catch the thieves? Hopefully you made a Police report. (they don't know where crime is happening if it is not reported), and notify the campground too.

ndmac

Why do you leave your awning out? It is always a good idea to store them away when leaving your RV, even if you tie them down. We have personally seen the wind destroy many folks awnings that were securely tied down. Why take a change? Did you catch the thieves? Hopefully you made a Police report. (they don't know where crime is happening if it is not reported), and notify the campground too.

Normally we do not leave awning out, just happened to get call from some friends that needed our help, Mrs. Checked on RV and noticed wind had picked up. We are generally in the CG golfing or visiting if they are out.

Sorry, I did not finish the story. We did report it and provided video to both CG security and local police.
They were not caught as of last day of camping season. No one in the CG recognized them and they may not have been from the area?

Sorry for the quality, but this is a picture from smart phone video directly from TV. (only one I have on my phone right now)

IMG_3279.jpgIMG_3280.jpg

nonamer

Anyone using an IP camera and NVR as their surveillance system? How does it perform compared with the regular cctv system?

jbeletti

Anyone using an IP camera and NVR as their surveillance system? How does it perform compared with the regular cctv system?

At home, I'm running all IP cams and using Blue Iris on a dedicated Dell Optiplex desktop as my NVR.

In the past, I've used 3 different dedicated CCTV DVRs. They were all analog with analog cams. IP is where it's at today. In my experience, IP cams and an NVR is much more responsive than the old analog stuff.

I chose to use Blue Iris on a dedicated PC but I know there are some good dedicated NVR boxes out there.

Oregon_Camper

At home, I'm running all IP cams and using Blue Iris on a dedicated Dell Optiplex desktop as my NVR.

I also use BlueIris...great software for the computer and you can remotely access it via a browser or the smartphone app.

One trick I use, once the cameras detect motion they record for 1 min after no motion (as 30 second before...from the video cache buffer)...then I write this file to my Dropbox folder which instantly uploads it to the cloud. Now...worse case, someone breaks in, it would take them a while to find my PC....by that time, the video of them is already safe on the cloud.

jbeletti

I also use BlueIris...great software for the computer and you can remotely access it via a browser or the smartphone app.

One trick I use, once the cameras detect motion they record for 1 min after no motion (as 30 second before...from the video cache buffer)...then I write this file to my Dropbox folder which instantly uploads it to the cloud. Now...worse case, someone breaks in, it would take them a while to find my PC....by that time, the video of them is already safe on the cloud.

I used Sighthound before converting to BlueIris. I had Sighthound setup the same as you with DropBox. Just haven't taken the time on my server running BI to setup DropBox. You need a robust and unlimited upload on the server side though. Mine is at home on my Charter account - so I'm good to go. Not so good if one was doing this from an RV on cellular or park WiFi.

busted2341

I would love to use a camera in and outside of my coach, however the only draw back is internet. We only use the unsecured internet offered at campgrounds. For personal stuff like finances I will use my hotspot. When DISH or DirecTv start using one dish for both TV and Internet I will gladly pay the 2k for an antenna for that. Unless there is another way of monitoring cameras that you can tell me about, I guess II have t wait...

jbeletti

I found that a great camera for inside the RV is the Samsung SmartCam HD Pro. What I like about it:
  • Price: $150
  • Form Factor - smallish
  • Great Video (wide field of view) and 2-Way Audio
  • Free Mobile App and Browser-based Viewer
  • WiFi connectable to your network (your MiFi, JetPack, Hotspot, campground WiFi etc.)
  • No need to manage your or campground's router to forward or open a port*
  • Does not until you call for the feed*
* The last two items are really important in a mobile application such as an RV. By not having to manage any router settings, anyone can install the camera. And since the camera does not broadcast its feed until you call for it, there is no impact on your data plan.

I have one of these and was using it in the RV. I'm using it in my home right now and plan order another for use in the RV.
Google ChromeScreenSnapz026.jpg

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As for me I prefer not to be on camera all of the time. Keep in mind that anything that goes 'over the air' can be hacked and monitored. Even baby monitors can be hacked. But I really do see the value of them.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So, my questions are, what powers all of this surveillance equipment and would the flip of the pedestal breaker disable all of it?
Would the use of dedicated AC power with an automatic transfer switch be of value?

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

Dave - I generally DC power all the mobile comm gear I install in the RV. This particular camera has an AC to DC brick. When I put one back in - it will be DC powered.

nonamer

In the past, I've used 3 different dedicated CCTV DVRs. They were all analog with analog cams. IP is where it's at today. In my experience, IP cams and an NVR is much more responsive than the old analog stuff.

I chose to use Blue Iris on a dedicated PC but I know there are some good dedicated NVR boxes out there.

How many cameras in total and how much does the whole system cost?