Campfires

Sniper

I was browsing another forum the other day and came across a thread titled "banning Campfires" (or words to that affect), figuring it was about a ban out west where they are having a severe fire risk at this time (and I believe that was the original posters intent) I clicked on the thread, and was quit surprised at some of the comments. A good number of folks where very vocal about banning campfires EVERYWHERE, and some where very livid about it. Their arguments ranged from their health problems to it being bad for the environment, including at least one who said they couldn't see the stars at night due to all the campfires. They were no where near the majority, but the fact that anyone at all that goes to a campground and expect there be no campfires kinda caught me off guard. Is this becoming a major topic, or did I just catch that particular thread on the wrong day? (or right day depending on your perspective)

P.S. I build 2 campfires everyday. One in the morning to cook breakfast, and one in the evening to cook supper (and S'more cones of course) :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Not to offend anyone, The "tree huggers" are out of control...AGAIN. I believe in conservation and helping with recycling and all that stuff. BUT...if these people had there way, we would be living in a desert with nothing man made. Heck you could not even send smoke signals for communication. OH and BTW, they would not have a putor to talk about how we are destroying the world. It does amaze me that they want everyone not to have cars, running water, sewer systems, any S/B homes, no pets, no guns, etc,etc. Well not us normal people...it will be just them that has those things because they are special. Fell off my box now.

rxbristol

Even though I don't believe in banning campfires, it can be a real annoyance when you have the windows open on a nice evening and smoke from a campfire is blowing at your rig. A fire ring should be installed at a location in the campground so all can enjoy, but still have limited smoke irritation.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ironically, I love camp fires . . .

But since I quit smoking (cigarettes - five years ago due to me having a stroke), I find that now we now never do campfires!

I've been hauling around a bunch of fire wood only to find that we no longer start camp fires . . .

Anyone need firewood?

I've got a bunch I've been hauling around for the last few years . . .

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

I took the above shot the last time we started a camp fire (September, 2013) . . .

With the wildfire dangers we've had out here in the western US the last several years . . . campfires has been something we've learned to do without!

Lynn1130

I love camp fires and we have them when ever we are woods camping. However, camp fires in crowded camp grounds are annoying to others who have breathing issues and who do not want their rig filled with smoke when they have the doors open in the evenings. It seems that some do not know what problems the smoke causes for others and some just don't care but it is important to consider those around you.

There are the greenies who just don't think there should be camp fires but I think most of the push back comes from those who have lung issues and/or don't want the smoke smell in the trailer. I understand that.

We have the same complaints here when we have "no burn days" due to air pollution alerts. There are those that think that no one should tell them when they can have a wood fire and those who suffer greatly because of the bad air.

There is another element to this too. Some home owners who live bordering National Forests in Arizona have been working for several years to get campfires banned during May, June and some of July before the rains come. Generally the Forest Service allows fires until it reaches a certain point and then camp fire bans go on. The problem with that has been that some are just stupid, and don't follow safety rules with camp fires and burn down forests as well as homes. This year was different in that we had rains through Spring and into early Summer. We have not had fire issues but this is the first year in many that has happened.

Sniper

Not to offend anyone, The "tree huggers" are out of control...AGAIN. I believe in conservation and helping with recycling and all that stuff. BUT...if these people had there way, we would be living in a desert with nothing man made. Heck you could not even send smoke signals for communication. OH and BTW, they would not have a putor to talk about how we are destroying the world. It does amaze me that they want everyone not to have cars, running water, sewer systems, any S/B homes, no pets, no guns, etc,etc. Well not us normal people...it will be just them that has those things because they are special. Fell off my box now.
It also seems to me Bob, that several of the folks on that forum who were yelling the loudest about "it's bad for the environment" also had the biggest diesel pushers known to man getting about 6 mpg in their profile pictures, hooked up to 50 amp service (which in all likelihood is electricity produced by coal power) with 3 AC's, 4 50 inch TV, 2 fridge's, and the stereo all running, while on a computer mostly made out plastic (oil), complaining about folks burning some small amount of wood to roast a hog dog. LOL

Safe travels. :)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I love camp fires and we have them when ever we are woods camping. However, camp fires in crowded camp grounds are annoying to others who have breathing issues and who do not want their rig filled with smoke when they have the doors open in the evenings. It seems that some do not know what problems the smoke causes for others and some just don't care but it is important to consider those around you.

There are the greenies who just don't think there should be camp fires but I think most of the push back comes from those who have lung issues and/or don't want the smoke smell in the trailer. I understand that.

We have the same complaints here when we have "no burn days" due to air pollution alerts. There are those that think that no one should tell them when they can have a wood fire and those who suffer greatly because of the bad air.

There is another element to this too. Some home owners who live bordering National Forests in Arizona have been working for several years to get campfires banned during May, June and some of July before the rains come. Generally the Forest Service allows fires until it reaches a certain point and then camp fire bans go on. The problem with that has been that some are just stupid, and don't follow safety rules with camp fires and burn down forests as well as homes. This year was different in that we had rains through Spring and into early Summer. We have not had fire issues but this is the first year in many that has happened.

?????

Sniper

Ironically, I love camp fires . . .

But since I quit smoking (cigarettes - five years ago due to me having a stroke), I find that now we now never do campfires!

I've been hauling around a bunch of fire wood only to find that we no longer start camp fires . . .

Anyone need firewood?

I've got a bunch I've been hauling around for the last few years . . .

View attachment 38953

I took the above shot the last time we started a camp fire (September, 2013) . . .

With the wildfire dangers we've had out here in the western US the last several years . . . campfires has been something we've learned to do without!
Hey John maybe you could bundle it up and sell it a dollar cheaper on the bundle than the campground with 6 pieces of wood instead of 5. :)

Birchwood

We used to love real campfires and am sure we annoyed our neighbours greatly.We regret that! Now its propane camp fires only.
Many people don't want smoke near their rigs and its not fair they have to be subjected to that environment.
I know some will suggest you should give up camping if you don't like campfires.Many RV parks are going smoke free as bars and restaurants have in the past.RV park campfires will soon be as old school as smoking in restaurants.

Grey Ghost

:mad: My Lord, what next?? I'm getting sick of everyone taking away something just because they can by bringing it up and let everyone comment on it. It's camping folks, get over it. We have had campfires forever, that is part of camping. If you don't like campfires.....stay home! Oh Donald help us please. Way to many civil liberties are getting taking away by the few because the majority are just to silent. Just my opinion of course, but I'm still instilled to that, I think!

Sniper

We used to love real campfires and am sure we annoyed our neighbours greatly.We regret that! Now its propane camp fires only.
Many people don't want smoke near their rigs and its not fair they have to be subjected to that environment.
I know some will suggest you should give up camping if you don't like campfires.Many RV parks are going smoke free as bars and restaurants have in the past.RV park campfires will soon be as old school as smoking in restaurants.
I'm much more annoyed by those changing color lights that everyone seems to have nowadays than campfires. I expect campfires at a campground, but I don't expect disco lighting. It seems to me that if many campgrounds are going smoke free then the really "fair" thing to do would be for those who don't want a campfire is to go those places. A propane campfire is not a campfire, and to me there is no better cooking than cooking a big ol' hunk of dead animal flesh on an open wood fire, with potatoes and corn on the cob thrown in the coals. Opinions vary though.

Safe travels. :)

JanAndBill

Even though I don't believe in banning campfires, it can be a real annoyance when you have the windows open on a nice evening and smoke from a campfire is blowing at your rig. A fire ring should be installed at a location in the campground so all can enjoy, but still have limited smoke irritation.

Is it ok to build a campfire, play yard games, sit out with friends and enjoy the outdoors, etc., etc., etc - "Yes, but your right to swing your arm leaves off where my right not to have my nose struck begins.” John B. Finch. There have been other similar quotes over the years, but I like this version.

I can't tell you the number of times we've had neighbors invade our campsite/space in pursuit of their "camping experience" without regard to the problems they might be causing. If you want a campfire, by all means build it, just don't build it next to your neighbors vehicles/RV. Please be considerate to other campers in all outside activities.

Sniper

Is it ok to build a campfire, play yard games, sit out with friends and enjoy the outdoors, etc., etc., etc - "Yes, but your right to swing your arm leaves off where my right not to have my nose struck begins.” John B. Finch. There have been other similar quotes over the years, but I like this version.

I can't tell you the number of times we've had neighbors invade our campsite/space in pursuit of their "camping experience" without regard to the problems they might be causing. If you want a campfire, by all means build it, just don't build it next to your neighbors vehicles/RV. Please be considerate to other campers in all outside activities.
Agreed.

Kbvols

I agree just be considerate! I love campfires I hate the smoke but it is part of it plus a well built fire with good wood actually produces little smoke.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Yeah, the lights are a little irritating. I know that some like the RV park atmosphere but my idea of camping is not having a neighbor within a mile, at least. My campfire smoke does not bother anyone but me when the wind changes and if we want to stay up past 10 sitting by the fire there is not a camp host to remind me to shut things down. We camp with family and sometime have up to 15 people in camp. I am sure that others also appreciate us not being next to them.IMG_0154.jpg

Sniper

Yeah, the lights are a little irritating. I know that some like the RV park atmosphere but my idea of camping is not having a neighbor within a mile, at least. My campfire smoke does not bother anyone but me when the wind changes and if we want to stay up past 10 sitting by the fire there is not a camp host to remind me to shut things down. We camp with family and sometime have up to 15 people in camp. I am sure that others also appreciate us not being next to them.View attachment 38962
Indeed! Great picture. :)

Bones

I like campfires but I'm not happy about having to buy wood from the site because it is not always dry and then smokes like a SOB. My last experience was with wet wood and it sucked.

IronJ

Nothing but a lil consideration. ..I love me a fire...even when it's summer and 95 out...

But be considerate!!..look where the wind is Generally going and don't aim your smoke at your poor neighbor's! !..

Build a good fire with good wood. ..a good fire with good wood does not smoke much..

Be considerate to others !!!stay up late, smoke a whole pig......do an ancient Indian smoke ritual...I could care less...so long as it does not make my experience un bareable.....heck...I'm the kinda guy that will bring a 6er n shoot the crap all night too!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk