Can I Jack Up Frame to remove a Tire with Landing Gear Down?

floridarandy

this will end up being a trip to the tire shop. frame is 25" off the ground. 12 ton bottle jack extends 15" so substantial cribbing would be needed and more support for jackstands. also gives me appreciation for buying emergency road service plan...can;t imagine a roadside tire change.

sundance 2900mk axle is beneath the springs sothere would be no way to avoid jacking axle if u didn:t jack frame.

Bobby A

"I thought I would avoid lifting all together when I bought that devise that you drive one tire up on to change the other tire. But I have read on this forum that those arn't any good either because it puts stress on the axle. So if you seen me driving down the road driving on my alunimum wheel scraping the ground with sparks aflying, its not because I didn't know I had a flat tire, it because I didn't know how to change it. (lol)."

What is wrong with the Trailer Saver drive onto device? I bought one of those a year ago, just in case of a flat tire on the road. Everyone i've talked to that has used it said it worked great when they've had a flat. Oh Great, now i'm confused. The whole reason I bought the dang thing was so I didn't have to tote heavy bottle jacks, etc around with me everywhere I camp.
Maybe others who have used the Trailer Saver to change a tire can chime in on this too!

I have READ, that the trailer saver puts to much stress on the axle, this is just what I've read. I have one also, and thank God I've never had to use it yet. As I said in my post, I dread the day I have to change a tire as I'm no closer to understanding how to do it than I was before I joined this forum. Right now my trailer is about 1 inch low on the off door side, it sure would be easier if I could just jack 1 axle at a time on that side to put a peace of wood under the tire to level it as apposed to have to break camp and move everything to pull forward to put wood under the tires and then back up again. I'm soooooo confused !!! (lol)

Last edited:

hoefler

Don't stress about jacking under the axle, you will find the tire shop will do just that. As long as you place your jack with in 3" of the spring bolts, you are not going to hurt a thing! You don't want to jack in the middle of the axle, it is not designed to take any load there. You will not dent or crush the axle tube, a lot of misinformation out there. Lippert is just covering the bases for somebody that doesn't have a clue.