Can shocks be added to a pull-behind non-5th-wheel travel trailer?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm beginning the process of replacing the springs on my trailer, and my brother suggested to me to put shocks on it while I was at it!

He said that he put shocks on his race car trailer and it made a huge difference in how it pulled, as well as trailer and tire wear!

Is this possible for a bumper-pull travel trailer?

And how hard would it be to install them?

Here are two shots of the worn out springs that need to be replaced, and I'm also thinking of raising the trailer as well as it is bottoming out on the tires (second two shots).

AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg TireRub-IMG_3903.jpg TireRubBadGougedTire-IMG_3904.jpg

Not sure yet what to do to raise the trailer . . .

MotoLynx27x

Man that sucks! Your trailer is only a 2013. Have you weighed it at a weigh station empty and fully loaded? I would consider upgrading the springs but you stand a chance to transfer the stress to the bearings and axle tubes and shackles. Flipping the axles would give you more ground clearance, and I would definitely add shocks as you mentioned. That will help control the bucking and swaying for and aft while towing on uneven ground.

Good luck!

JohnD

Man that sucks! Your trailer is only a 2013.

Yup!

Already been turned down by Heartland and Dexter, even though it seems the springs were shot the day we bought the trailer.

Oh well!

Going to put heavier duty springs on it . . . and the shocks.

But I still need to raise that trailer up . . . at least 4-5 inches!

Right now it is on jack stands . . . but with the jacks out, I can't even put a finger between the top of the tires and the bottom of the trailer.

MotoLynx27x

Dude I would be po'd! I know you are.

Do do you have a suspension/trailer repair place? Usually you can find a local company that makes and bends their own brand of springs, meaning they can build you a set of custom spring packs for the same cost as new OEM ones. As for the shocks, I would have a welder add shock pearches to the frame no more that 45 degrees off angle from the front or rear side of each axle tube. Any more angle than that, and the shocks become useless. You have to trade shock travel length with the distance between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame. You don't want too short of a shock that won't let the springs unload properly, or you will end up limiting you're suspension travel.

JohnD

I was given a couple of names of shops in my area in another topic thread about this issue, and will probably be choosing between one of the two.

Will be visiting each shop in the next week or so.

I'm hoping they may be able to do the shock installation at the same time.

Jim.Allison

If that is not warrantee work, you can either buy those springs, OR you can get a spring shop in your town to look at the problem. Every major town has an industrial spring shop.

Personally I would consult a professional spring shop and have them rework that suspension and advise you on the shock install. When you take it to them I guarantee you wont be taking them something they have not seen before.

'Lil Guy'

What about that second position on the end of the outside shackels. Looks like a couple of inches there but your springs look shot. Wish you could get someone with the same rig to post a pic of their springs. Is it like that on both sides. You would have to really overload those springs to like like that or bounce along while they are red hot.lol Is that the springs where you lost the bearings and hub with heat?
The correct track alignment system will raise it 2".
Good Luck on the fix.

Jim.Allison

You can bet a professional spring shop will be able to install shock mounts, but I think I might go for some timbrens to keep those wheels on the ground, you will never have to buy another set ever. You can also get a brand new set of springs off e-trailer for cheap, but I think I would have the spring mounts inspected before I install new springs. This is really not an expensive job, as long as you stay away from RV dealerships.

I was given a couple of names of shops in my area in another topic thread about this issue, and will probably be choosing between one of the two.

Will be visiting each shop in the next week or so.

I'm hoping they may be able to do the shock installation at the same time.