Changing your tire

callowaykid

Hey yall, so I have been doing a lot of catch up on the forum going back and reading a lot of old posts and I have recently been reading about all the tire blowouts. I have not run into this problem yet but I know it's just a matter time. I keep up with my tires religiously because quite honestly it scares the crap out of me to know one day I will have a blowout and it will happen when I have my wife and two young daughters in the truck with me. So my question is what kind of jack do you use to lift the frame of your travel trailer to change a tire? I have seen hydrolic jacks and run on ramps that will lift the tire up off the ground. I have a double axel with wide trax system, meaning the tires are spread apart a decent amount.
Thanks for any help

GO DAWGS!

Last edited by a moderator:

davidg

12 ton bottle jack under the axle between the U-bolts, this is the way I do it and been doing it for many years never had any problems, other members may have different opinions.
David

GOTTOYS

12 ton bottle jack under the axle between the U-bolts, this is the way I do it and been doing it for many years never had any problems, other members may have different opinions.
David
Same way I do it. You only have to lift it an inch or two. But first get rid of the junk tires it came with and eliminate the worry of a blow out in the first place. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're any good.....Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So my question is what kind of jack do you use to lift the frame of your travel trailer to change a tire? I have seen hydrolic jacks and run on ramps that will lift the tire up off the ground.

GO DAWGS!

Roadside assistance . . .

callowaykid

Like the ramps Lynn just ordered 1 thanks for the insight. Yes I have Good Sam roadside but i would prefer to do it myself if possible.

GO DAWGS!

Gaffer

Here you go. For more check out this very recent thread: https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...-Tire-Changing-Tool-for-2014-Road-Warrior-425
attachment.php

Lynn1130

OK, no offense here but why would one spend the effort to crawl under the axle, put down spacers, jack the axle up with the chance of the whole thing slipping off and injuring you while along side the road in 115 degree heat and that is just the air temps, when you can put the trailer aid or something similar under the wheel and pull forward or backward and have it in the air to work on? Or, my first choice call Good Sam.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, no offense here but why would one spend the effort to crawl under the axle, put down spacers, jack the axle up with the chance of the whole thing slipping off and injuring you while along side the road in 115 degree heat and that is just the air temps, when you can put the trailer aid or something similar under the wheel and pull forward or backward and have it in the air to work on? Or, my first choice call Good Sam.

The TrailerAid is rated for 15000 lbs. So, if you've had your rig weighed and are safely under that, probably no problems. My BH3670 came in at 14575 lbs. at a rally a few years back and we didn't have all of our current "stuff" on board. Although I still have my black TrailerAid from when we had a lightweight TT, I'm not too sure I'd use it now. But I keep it in the truck in case someone with a smaller rig needs a hand (or our FD rescue equipment trailers blow a tire). The 4-point Ground Control system I have will lift a side, though, and I have a 12 ton bottle jack, as well.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Last time we called Good Sam they said 4 hours wait ! I won' tell you what I said that was with broken springs.

avvidclif

Last time we called Good Sam they said 4 hours wait ! I won' tell you what I said that was with broken springs.

In that case, for a flat, I would probably just fix it myself. If a broken spring and off the road pull out a lawn chair and a cold one and wait.

pegmikef

I have used Good Sams Roadside Assistance twice in four years and both times someone arrived to change the tires in less that an hour. I have no complaint. The first time it was a truck tire and since I had had the service for over a year I decided to see if it worked and how the response was. I am satisfied with it . . . so far.

Lynn1130

Yeah, I think Texas would be like the rest of us that live and travel in the west. It is a long way between towns and if they can get there in an hour or slightly over I can live with it.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
In that case, for a flat, I would probably just fix it myself. If a broken spring and off the road pull out a lawn chair and a cold one and wait.
We were still on the road 2 lane road at that it was a mess. Then we realized we were 2 miles from the campground called our friend Bill Liming and he came and helped us by staying behind us watching things as we creeped down the road to the campground. Had Goodyear tires and it held up had a good size groove in it but it still held.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've looked at these and almost bought one several times:

TrailerAid.jpg

But I've read that they don't work so good . . .

Has anyone here ever actually used one of these?

And how did it work?

DuaneG

Also interested in if the trailer aid works. Had major blow out the other day and good Sam road assist was worthless and I have been paying for years. We had the blow out in the mountains and barley got the trailer off the road. Asked them to start a tow ASAP but they wanted to ask a bunch of irrelevant questions and then insisted on using their GPS phone system to determine where I was. I told him my exact highway address with mile maker number and direction of travel. I told them the closest town with services. He told me I was in a different location. Anyway they took 40 minutes to find a company who wanted to change a tire. And then the tow truck went right by us along with three others that were diverted to a major accident. They never called to check on us or see if we were helped. It ended up taking over 4.5 hours.

The next day I ordered 5 new Goodyear tires and 2 bottle jacks and jack stands so I can do it myself in the future. Hopefully these tires will work better.

I didn't mind waiting an hour so I would not aggravate old injuries but sitting out in the heat waiting was miserable and wish I would have just changed it myself. Lots of lessons Learned this weekend.

Since each axle was rated at 7k I assumed the 6 ton 12k bottle jacks will work so I just bought 2 for approx the same price as one of the 12 ton jacks.

Thanks for sharing where to position them on the axle and the link to the other thread.

avvidclif

Stack up boards (3 2x6) to simulate the height of the trailer aid and pull the front tire up on them. Does the rear tire clear the ground. If not you need the tall trailer aid. They have 2 different heights. The amount of movement in the center link is the problem.