Chattering.

Dan50

I have a 2015 Big Country with generator prep but no genny installed. I have two 15,000 btu air conditioners. I have a Yamaha 2400 inverter genny and would like to run one of the a/c's. It ran the ac on my former fifth that did not have a prep package. I installed a hard start capacitor in one of the Big country a'c's because they have none and tried the Yamaha. All I got was a loud chattering coming from below the bedroom floor and the a/c would not start.What I would like to know is what is the chattering and is this what is preventing the a'c from starting? Some will is not enough genny. Maybe so but I would really like to know what the chattering is. I assume it has something to do with the genny rep.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This sounds like you transfer switch is doing the chattering.
I suggest that you locate it and check the wiring. Mostly check fot tight connections.
If your genny is not putting out enough current that could cause the chatter.
Someone with more gen prep knowledge will be chiming in.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi Dan50,

Generator prep includes an automatic transfer switch. Shore power and on-board generator power go into the transfer switch. Only one comes out at a time.

The automatic transfer switch looks for 120V AC on L1 (50 amp service has two legs, L1 and L2). If the voltage is low, say around 105V, or if it's fluctuating, the contactors inside the switch will actuate, then drop, then actuate, then drop, resulting in a chattering noise.

I'm assuming you're plugging your shore power cord into the generator. If that's the case, your transfer switch is probably not the problem. Rather I would check the output of the generator, and if you're using some type of adapter, try a different adapter. Also make sure all connections are tight.

If your generator is hooked up to the junction box that would be used by an on-board generator, then you might have a problem with the transfer switch itself, or perhaps a loose connection.

Btw, if you let that chattering go on for a long time, you may damage the contactors.

Miltp920

I had a similar sound coming from about the same location. I took it to the dealer for another matter and asked them to check into it. They removed my back wall in the basement and pulled out the circuit breaker panel and tightened up some connections they said they found loose. I would start there.

Jim.Allison

Your transfer switch is the culprit. Like you I installed a generator (albeit the Onan 5500) in my gen prepped BC3650RL, My transfer switch had a yellow lockout that made my transfer switch chatter when the generator started up. Within minutes I burned up the switch, I discovered the yellow lockout during the subsequent inspection.

I have posted this scenario before and the existence of the lockout was disputed, but I'm not prone to fantasy, there was one in my heartland installed transfer switch. Do not run your system until you get a look at that transfer switch.

danemayer

It all comes down to how the generator power is routed.

If it's coming through the shore power cord, a transfer switch problem would also manifest on shore power. If it only happens when the shore power cord is plugged into the generator, then the generator is suspect number one.

If the generator power is going into the junction box that feeds directly to the generator side of the transfer switch, then the transfer switch is a very likely cause, but it could still be the generator, or intermediate connections.

I don't think too many people connect external generators directly into the transfer switch, so until we hear from the OP, I'm assuming power is going through the shore power cord.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Excuse me but I think the OP said they did NOT have a generator but did have the generator prep and put a hard start capacitor on the Air Conditioner. Now, I do agree the transfer switch if probably the culprit causing the chattering. It could be when the AC compressor goes to kick in you get so much of a voltage drop the transfer switch will kick out. It the drop gets around 107 v or less you will get the transfer switch kick. You could have a bad AC and if the transfer switch contactor has tripped too much it could be bad.

danemayer

OP said:
I have a 2015 Big Country with generator prep but no genny installed. I have two 15,000 btu air conditioners. I have a Yamaha 2400 inverter genny

What he hasn't said is how he routes the power from the Yamaha into the coach.

Dan50

I plug the trailers power cord directly into the Yamaha 2400is. Perhaps the 15,000 btu a/ is just too much for it.

scottyb

Probably is too many amps when the compressor kicks on. 2400/110 = 21.8A. If your fridge is on AUTO and your converter are both on, you could easily exceed 22A during startup. You might try switching your fridge to PROPANE instead of AUTO.

danemayer

One thing you might try is to turn off the main breakers in the inside circuit breaker panel. Start the generator and let it run for 30 seconds or so to stabilize. Then flip the inside breakers ON. Wait another minute or two before turning the A/C ON.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Probably is too many amps when the compressor kicks on. 2400/110 = 21.8A. If your fridge is on AUTO and your converter are both on, you could easily exceed 22A during startup. You might try switching your fridge to PROPANE instead of AUTO.

Add to the amp load the water heater running on electric.

sjs731

I have a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C and I ran 2 2000 watt Yamahas in parallel with a hard start capacitor on my AC and I still had chattering in the relay of the EMS. I burned the surge protector circuit board up during a week of camping with the Yamahas running. The guys at Progressive told me the Yamahas have a very low inductive load capacity and they don't hear of the same problem with Hondas. I had to buy a new circuit board for my EMS.

Steve

Geodude

Dan, in our on-going comparison between your Yamaha and my Champion 3100W generator, you may (or may not) be happy to hear that the Champion starts the Bighorn's air conditioner while running on econo mode, no problem. I haven't tried to run the second air conditioner at the same time. We don't have the gen prep on our rig.

Dan50

I think my problem is the Automatic Transfer Switch. If it doesn't see enough voltage or if the voltage drops( like when starting the a'c with the genny then the contacts will kick out, kick on then out again causing the chatter and the a/c not to start because he genny can't rev up fast enough to supply enough voltage to satisfy the ATS. Without the ATS I'm sure it would bog for a short time then recover enough to start the a/c. It would run the 15,000 btu a/c on the Elkridge without an ATS. Not enough initial grunt I guess. Oh well we don't dry camp enough to warrant a bigger genny.

Jim.Allison

I think my problem is the Automatic Transfer Switch. If it doesn't see enough voltage or if the voltage drops( like when starting the a'c with the genny then the contacts will kick out, kick on then out again causing the chatter and the a/c not to start because he genny can't rev up fast enough to supply enough voltage to satisfy the ATS. Without the ATS I'm sure it would bog for a short time then recover enough to start the a/c. It would run the 15,000 btu a/c on the Elkridge without an ATS. Not enough initial grunt I guess. Oh well we don't dry camp enough to warrant a bigger genny.

I don't know it it would actually work, but could you have the fan running continuously rather than auto, then let the compressor cycle as needed? My thinking is perhaps you have enough juice to start the compressor but not enough to start the compressor and fan......Perhaps this would allow the gen to spool up fast enough.

porthole

Retired
I don't know it it would actually work, but could you have the fan running continuously rather than auto, then let the compressor cycle as needed? My thinking is perhaps you have enough juice to start the compressor but not enough to start the compressor and fan......Perhaps this would allow the gen to spool up fast enough.

That is what I do. But when it is hot enough and the genny has run long enough it agains starts to be an issue. Genny output decreases as temperature increases.
I have "thought" about adding hard start capacitors for about 5 years now. Maybe some day :rolleyes:

Nbomar

I have a similar problem in my road warrior with 2 ac and Onan generator. When on shore power I have no issues whatsoever. When on generator I can only run 1 ac. The second ac cause the whole camper to flicker and the transfer switch chatters like crazy. I know I need to check for loose connections, but where do I look? Pictures that are labeled would be greatly helpful. The only thing that I really, REALLY don't like is electricity. I don't mind working on it but what to know what I'm doing before I pull the basement all apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

the chattering is the transferswitch because of low voltage- happened to me when at dealer stayed for 3 days there doing pdi and making sure everything worked- hard loaded a/c etc and everything worked, then last day power flickered and heard the (chattering ) -from below- ran outside and unplugged coach- found that techs moved some other units and cord and extension that I was plugged into came loose and was causing the low voltage - never had problem again- until I accidentally hit a/c while programing thermostats while only hooked to a 15 110 circuit - and it did same thing- so the chattering is transfer switch contacts because low voltage-

I Also had t yellow lockout banging around in my transfer switch

once home-i went install progressive -I also found the input hot wires had cuts on them- ie see are wire ) as well as the connections barely able to be called tightend inside the transfer switch-basically they were only tight enough to keep cables from fallig out

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar problem in my road warrior with 2 ac and Onan generator. When on shore power I have no issues whatsoever. When on generator I can only run 1 ac. The second ac cause the whole camper to flicker and the transfer switch chatters like crazy. I know I need to check for loose connections, but where do I look? Pictures that are labeled would be greatly helpful. The only thing that I really, REALLY don't like is electricity. I don't mind working on it but what to know what I'm doing before I pull the basement all apart.

look for jerrods thread on replacing second gen breaker with a 30a one- he had same issue

Nbomar

the chattering is the transferswitch because of low voltage- happened to me when at dealer stayed for 3 days there doing pdi and making sure everything worked- hard loaded a/c etc and everything worked, then last day power flickered and heard the (chattering ) -from below- ran outside and unplugged coach- found that techs moved some other units and cord and extension that I was plugged into came loose and was causing the low voltage - never had problem again- until I accidentally hit a/c while programing thermostats while only hooked to a 15 110 circuit - and it did same thing- so the chattering is transfer switch contacts because low voltage-

I Also had t yellow lockout banging around in my transfer switch

once home-i went install progressive -I also found the input hot wires had cuts on them- ie see are wire ) as well as the connections barely able to be called tightend inside the transfer switch-basically they were only tight enough to keep cables from fallig out

- - - Updated - - -

look for jerrods thread on replacing second gen breaker with a 30a one- he had same issue

@jesstalkn do you have a link to your info on this? What does a transfer switch look like and what should I take apart on it to check for loose wires.