Child Proofing

WCW

I couldn't find any ideas on this problem. I have small grandchildren who accidentally or intentionally drop small items down the furnace vents. I want to put some type of screen under the cover. Someone suggested using a/c filter but it seems that would restrict air flow. How do others address this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not added anything to the heater vents, but have seen some done.
The product used was a heavy duty screen material.
Plenty open as to not restrict airflow but good enough to keep stuff from falling in.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I used a piece of window screen next to the bed so DW's earrings wouldn't fall in. Some type of plastic, probably from Walmart.

johnpsz

We use vent filters found at the big box home improvement stores, but with a 4 yr old and a 10 month old and vents on the floor we are willing to sacrifice a little flow restriction, plus we don't have to worry about getting dirt in the vents either when sweeping up, we got a pack of 12 vent filters for less than $6 and if things fall in we can just pick it up, and when they get dirty (we do vacuum then out occasionally) we just replace it with the ones left over.

wyleyrabbit

We used rodent mesh under our register vents. Also, we changed out the hideous RV register vents for attractive ones from Home Depot. The new ones can be adjusted and/or closed, and look 100x better. :)