Cleaning hydraulic landing gear tubes

Garypowell

I have hydraulic front landing gear. The unit is in storage right now and has been for a month. As they mow/trim the grass around my rig the "tubes" (is that what you would call them or are they the "rams") are getting covered with stuff.

In general how do I clean this off?

do I buy a quart of ATF and "dampen" a rag? Use CRC 556. Carb cleaner? Something else?

ATF seems like the logical thing but messy. Just curious what others are doing.

Plus is there some recommended frequency to do this even if they don't look dirty?

bighorn3370

I do not have hydraulic landing gear. Form the ones I have seen it just a cylinder rod, just wipe with a dry rag. If their grease a little brake cleaner. Your rod should be chrome you do not want nick it or use anything that damage it. Ernie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

Raise the front of the rig as far as it will go, use a broom and brush off all debris. If it is just grass clippings, they will brush off very easily. If it is mud, I would use a stiff brush and just hose it off, then let it dry. Remember, these are designed to be exposed to the elements. I would not use any kind of lubrication on the extension legs or landing leg tubes. It will collect dust and dirt, and collect inside the tubes. The actual hydraulic rams are inside the square tubes and are protected from the elements.

pegmikef

I read in the Lippert documentation for them that if they are extended for a lengthy period of time (they had seven days) then to use a silicon spray on them periodically. I just spray mine and wipe them down with a clean rag. I think I would probably just use a clean cloth to wipe away the debris and then use the silicon spray. Here's what it said.

5. If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed Landing Gear rod with a silicone lubricant every seven days for protection. If your coach is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every 2 to 3 days.

Garypowell

Thanks Pegmikef!

i looked in the manuals section and did not find this information. I usually have a can of silicone spray around since it is handy for lots of other things around the unit. And much better than my guess at ATF fluid.

I wish they had a slow speed on these hydraulic jacks. I love them but always feel like I am dropping the rig on my track. I jog the switch which will wear it out quicker.

PUG

Pug
ATF will soak up dust which is abrasive to your seals. I wipe mine down between moves with silicone to extend the life of the seals.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
I wipe ours down with a napkin or clean rag. I've been wondering about lubing them tho. The past two times we've taken her out, the legs squeak and groan something awful. I really need to get a list of all the things I need to lube on the rig and the truck and what to lube them with. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Garypowell

The only squeaking and groaning going on is from me....thankfully! I have the silicone spray now....just need to do it! GROAN!