Cleaning the awning

wingfoot

Here is a trick I read on another form which I tried and it works....Extend your awning and soap it up on the out side (upper material) and then roll it up...continue cleaning the rest of your trailer while leaving the awning rolled up for about thirty minutes...roll it back out and rinse with your hose. This worked well for me, but I might add that if your awning is severely dirty or stained it may take a different approach. I have found that it is advantageous never to let your awning get stained/dirty to begin with.

Larry

ihsolutions

I've tried this on several trailers, different ways, with different soaps and detergents. It's never worked a bit. I'm curious what kind of soap you used?

The only thing I've used that works consistently is awning cleaner (available at Walmart and camping stores), and getting both sides of the awning with a soft car-cleaning brush. There seems to be no substitute for elbow grease.

And I hate few things more than cleaning the underneath of the awning... it drips nasty water on you the whole time you're doing it!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If I stay on a regular schedule of cleaning it, (About once a month) Dawn detergent seems to work well for me.

For extra bad stains, I use the awning cleaner mentioned above.
In fact, it seems like a fairly mild enzyme cleaner and I use it on other stained areas, as well. Trace

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I've used the rollup method for years, I think it works real good I use Reliable Cleaner and some bleach and car wash for the solution. I also do the same thing to my slideout awnings, Keeps them nice and white.

Last edited:

bdb2047

The last time I did ours I used a hose end sprayer with cleaner and mildew remover that I had used on house siding.Rinsed trailer with water first then sprayed awning and rolled it up for about 1/2 hr,rinsed trailer again, opened it and rinsed it off did a decent job have seen no problems from it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have used the siding cleaner as well. The S.O.B. TT that I was living in while still in the service I bought used and it was very mildewed. I used the siding cleaner and a pressure washer. Just tone the nozzle down.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK...I have a question...how do you clean a power awning? When we had a manual we just rolled it out, dropped the legs down under the trailer and scrubbed the top side of the awning...can't do that now...so what do others do??

jnbhobe

I do the electric awning the rollup way useing a soapy solution that will kind of stick to the awning. Let it soak while I wash the rest of the rig, then rinse everything with Turtle wash and wax then plain water.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
OK...I have a question...how do you clean a power awning? When we had a manual we just rolled it out, dropped the legs down under the trailer and scrubbed the top side of the awning...can't do that now...so what do others do??

When I got the Sundance ready to go to Gillette, I cleaned it from the roof with my telescoping scrub brush from Wal-Mart..

sjs731

I clean my power awning half from the roof with my telescoping brush for washing my rig and the other half from the ground with a step ladder. The ladder makes it easier to see what I'm doing.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This season I have found the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The first time I scrubbed the awning using a mixture of dawn and bleach. I still had some yucky looking stains on there. I decided to spot clean with the Mr. Clean Erasers. Wow, what a difference. I ended up redoing the whole awning. Talk about white! DH recently found larger Mr. Clean Erasers attached to a broom size stick. They save the back and get the job done. I will forever be using them to clean my awning. Not affiliated to this product...blah blah blah.