Completely Dead Battery

wkcox

I have had my Road Warrior for a year, and still learning about it. Recently had annual servicing done, and now battery is completely dead. Apparently no battery disconnect switch. Battery will not charge either from truck or 120volt connection. I have heard that when using an automatic charger, that if it is completely dead, it will not charge, but rather have to charge from older mamual style first to give it some charge, and then reconnect to automatic charger to finish the process. Any experts out there? My camping world service department's answer is to have me bring it back in. Easier said than done if it is a simple fix.

TedS

Check that all battery connections are tight. On-board charger/converter should charge the battery. Check converter fuses. Do you have a volt meter? Check for voltage at the battery when you are connected to shore power.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Another thing to check is your relays. One of those is probably tripped and then it does not allow a charge from any source

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

dougw

Seems odd that there isn't a main battery switch in the gen compartment. The RW is basically a Cyclone and they have the switch in the back door side of the compartment.

travis_g

The switch on my rw415 is on the forward wall of the basement on the DS.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

A battery mfr rep told me to parallel a dead battery with a good battery on a smart charger. The charger sees the combined load as a partially discharged battery and is thereby fooled into charging. Been there, done that.

priorguy

Being a year old you may have a pro-rated warranty on a replacement battery. I've brought some back with a manual 10A charger but it doesn't always work.

whp4262

I would check the voyage at the battery when it is charging through the TV or Dock power. You need something greater then 12v to charge the battery. A rule of thumb is 1v extra for every 6 volts to over come internal battery resistance. So 7v for a six volt battery, 14 for 12 and 28 for a 24 volt battery. If you don't have the voltage I would check the fuses or breakers on the back wall of the compartment, they look like little relays. At least that's where they are on my cyclone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wkcox

Thanks for all of the good advice. The 12 volt block diagram and diagnostics looks very helpful. Travis - I have the same Road Warrior - is the location you are referrring to in the storage compartment or the battery compartment with the generator? The generator seems to take up all of the space on the driver's side of that compartment.

wkcox

So, on Saturday I took the block diagram and volt meter. I did find the battery disconnect switch in the basement, and it was on. The battery has 12.2 volts. None of the 12 volt circuit breakers has a maual reset switch. Do these go bad? Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks for the help!

danemayer

So, on Saturday I took the block diagram and volt meter. I did find the battery disconnect switch in the basement, and it was on. The battery has 12.2 volts. None of the 12 volt circuit breakers has a maual reset switch. Do these go bad? Has anyone had this problem?
Thanks for the help!
wkcox,

In your original post you described the problem as the battery being dead and not taking a charge. So after checking with a meter you've found it's got 12.2V which is low, but not dead.

What are the symptoms that made you think the battery was dead and wouldn't take a charge?

Also, many of us have have trouble finding the manual reset switch on the bottom of the 12V circuit breaker. It's teeny-tiny, just bigger than a fly speck. You might do better to run your finger along the bottom edge of the circuit breakers to feel for it. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 23

whp4262

Thanks for the help!

Not all of this breakers are manual reset and yes they go bad, I had to replace one on my Cyclone. If you have 12v at one breaker terminal you should have 12v on the other terminal. You can also check them with an ohm meter for continuity. But make sure the bat cables are disconnected and there is no power on the system if you are using the ohm meter. I found a replacement breaker at O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

wkcox

I discovered the issue because none of the 12 volt systems would work with the camper unplugged. When I plugged it into my truck, or shore power everything works fine. I will check again, and I appreciate the good photo, but none of the breakers had that little button. I will also check the voltage on the breakers as well.

Thanks for the help!

danemayer

If you look at the circuit breakers near the battery, there's usually a copper plate that provides an electrical connection across the bottoms of all of the circuit breakers. With shore power disconnected you should have 12V there. Also, the hydraulic pump or electric front jacks should operate when shore power is disconnected.

There is a large wire that is usually red, coming from the battery, going to the bottom of one of the circuit breakers. Along the tops of the breakers, there will be another large (probably red) wire that goes to the fuse box and power converter. That's the breaker that usually has the reset button. In any case, with shore power disconnected, you need 12V on both sides of all those circuit breakers.

It might be worth checking the ground wire from the battery to the frame to make sure you have a good connection.

wkcox

MYSTERY SOLVED. The 12 volt block diagram was very helpful. All breakers were good as was the converter. Noticed some sparks from the negative battery post when I would use the voltmeter. Also noticed red tinted varnish or equivalent on the battery posts and connectors. Could it be that simple? YES. Cleaned the coating off the connectors and posts, and everything is back to normal, and saved a trip to the shop. Thanks for all of the help!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
That red varnish-like coating may have been a Corrosion inhibitor similar to NCP-2 Battery corrosion preventative.
The coating may have hid corrosion that may not have been removed before the inhibitor was applied or developed under the inhibitor.

I used a battery cleaning product that goes on yellow but turns red where battery acid is present. It is surprising how much of the product on the battery turned red.