Considering a 5th wheel as my first trailer. Need Help?

ppieplow

Hello again,

I am considering a 5th wheel as our families first trailer. We need room so considering two bunkhouse models. Either the Heartland Sundance SD34000 QD or the Primetime Crusader 360 BHS. Both say around 12,000 lbs dry weight.

I do not understand tow rating, trailer loads, GVWRs, axle rating, etc. I just want a simple answer. Can I tow them?

I have a new 2014 Ford F-250 Supercrew 4x4 SRW standard box length upgrade with BFG all-terrain 285/65/R20. Truck is equipped with brake control/sway control. The book says 15,900 5th wheel capacity. Truck capacity is 10,000 lbs and the rear axle rating is 6,000 lbs.

Can I tow either one of these 5th wheels? Just want the truth, do I trust dealer, do I trust book?

Help please?

Philip
Hahira, GA

jimtoo

Hi ppieplow,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You should be fine with that truck and the Sundance. I'm sure you will get some more opinions soon from our other members. Some will go into great details and some will not.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you at a Heartland rally sometime.

Jim M

priorguy

You need to know the gross vehicle weight rating for the truck and the trailer. That will give you the maximum they can each handle. Then you need the gross combined weight for the truck which is the total for the truck and trailer together. That is the definitive answer, but with a little more work you may be able to tow the trailer by taking the dry weight plus intended cargo into account which could be considerably less then the trailers gross vehicle weight.

Trailer only Example: dry weight of trailer 10,000lbs, loaded weight 12000lbs, but GVWR of 15000lbs.
Truck example: dry weight 7000lbs, loaded weight 8000lbs, tow capacity 15000lbs, combined weight (GCWR) 23,000lbs.

There are many factors you have to take into account including all vehicle occupants, fuel and water carried. All cargo and consumables. Your truck could be rated for 15900 towing but in reality you could be limited to just 12 or 13 because of what you carry in the truck. I think you need to spend some serious time with a pen, paper, and a calculator.

Or you can visit this site which could be much easier. http://fifthwheelst.com/ Good luck and remember to have fun.

ncc1701e

Hello again,

I am considering a 5th wheel as our families first trailer. We need room so considering two bunkhouse models. Either the Heartland Sundance SD34000 QD or the Primetime Crusader 360 BHS. Both say around 12,000 lbs dry weight.

I do not understand tow rating, trailer loads, GVWRs, axle rating, etc. I just want a simple answer. Can I tow them?

I have a new 2014 Ford F-250 Supercrew 4x4 SRW standard box length upgrade with BFG all-terrain 285/65/R20. Truck is equipped with brake control/sway control. The book says 15,900 5th wheel capacity. Truck capacity is 10,000 lbs and the rear axle rating is 6,000 lbs.

Can I tow either one of these 5th wheels? Just want the truth, do I trust dealer, do I trust book?

Help please?

Philip
Hahira, GA

I'm pulling a Sundance 3310CL (12,600 fully loaded, 10,560 dry) with a 2012 F250 SuperCrew 4x4. You'll have no problem with the Sundance 3400QD. Tom

ross0547

Hi! We have a Sundance 3 Slides, with GVW of over 10000 lbs. I bit the bullet and bought a 2007 GMC 2500 Diesel to pull it! This is skads of power. We run at just under 1800 RPM at 60 MPH. I get between 11-12 MPH (Canadian Gallon). However, I have chatted with many RVers who say a Vehicle with 2500 power is adequate, although they rev higher when pulling. Good luck and enjoy!

jnbhobe

It will pull it just fine, just have to watch your weights a little. May as well figure on a set of air bags to keep the truck level. Your truck is a diesel right ??

priorguy

Your truck is rated at 15,900 towing a 5er and the GVWR on the 37ULT is 15,500 so by that you would be ok. But consider family and stuff for the GCWR or combined weight your truck can handle. Your pretty close to max with that one but a bit of math will let you be certain. It is a great layout and on my wish list as well.

olcoon

HERE is a link to a website one of our club members has. It's got some good info, and will walk you through what you'll need to figure out if your truck will handle the rig. Hope this helps!

Wmnmy

Hello and welcome to the forum first off you have enough truck for the sundance and the Elkridge , secondly I rented travel trailers before I bit the bullet and purchased a cyclone fifthwheel and would not turn back so much difference in towing on windy days I have the 2011 F-250 srw 4x4 pulls great we are on our second heartland product . seriously check out the Elkridge 37 you will love it or any heartland product .