Coroplast Questions

Wharton

Is this feasible?

We do not want to take down all the coroplast for several reasons. We would like to cut a flap in the coroplast, add some insulation and tape it up again with Gorilla tape.

Questions:

How thick is the coroplast? Will a utility knife be enough?

Will the Gorilla Tape do the job long term?

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

wdk450

Wharton:
Coroplast is just the thickness of a sturdy cardboard box material, is composed about the same, and cuts about the same. My rig had a layer of thin bubble wrap insulation laid above it. I cut my Coroplast with a sturdy set of Kitchenaid scissors. I have heard that Gorilla Tape works great on it. This site has some special tape and even zipper closures you might be able to use:
http://mobilehomedepotmi.com/mh_catalog1/underbellyvapor.html

Kbvols

My experience gorilla tape will not hold long term. I have used in several places on coroplaat and has always eventually let loose.

Garypowell

Make sure you cut the flap with the edge still attached towards the front of the rig. This way if it does let lose while you are traveling you are less likely to loose the whole sheet from tearing away with the air blast.

I have always taken 1/2" thick wood and used this to secure the aft edge of the cut. Make the piece a little longer than the cut. Put it up inside the coroplast having about 1/2 of the wood showing out of the cut. Then attach one end with a screw with a washer on it. Then attach the other end on the other side of the cut. This should hold the wood in place. Then use the appropriate number of screws and washers along the seam screwing into the wood.

Then tape as you will.

You can also use wood like this along the other two sides....I generally don't. Just use tape.

Never had a problem and it allows you the ability to get back in again.....just unscrew, remove the tape, and the flap drops down again.

danemayer

Be careful when cutting. Ideally, you want to expose just enough blade to barely cut through the coroplast since you don't know what's on the other side. Usually it won't be a problem, but who wants to cut a wire or hose.

Wharton

Oh, I love this forum. All great ideas. I really like the wood by the major cut, then taping. Great idea. I will clean the coroplast with alcohol prior to using the tape, that should help any tape stick better.
Thanks everyone.

JanAndBill

After on going problems with my dump valves I cut an opening to access the valves. I then used a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum plate that spans from rib to rib and is secured by screws. Along the sides I used the screw in type drywall anchors in the corplast. Screws through the aluminum into the anchors holds it tight against the aluminum. Duct tape along the edges keeps it waterproof.