Couple of waste tank questions

ceharris21

We have a 2013 RW415 the grey 1 tank shows full and when we dump it only drains a small amount of water and will only dump to about 2/3 on the guage. How can I tell if I have a faulty guage reading or if the tank really has that much water left to dump or what would cause it not to dump all the water?

also in this model is the 2nd bathroom plumbed grey and black water plummed together?

jimtoo

Hi ceharris21,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question about the Road Warrior plumbing or tanks, but some of our other members should be in soon to help out.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our will do the same at times. I will open the gray tank while traveling down the road and the movement will let the rest of it drain. Amazing how much is in it that doesn't drain out. Probably because the tank is mounted crooked.

Lynn1130

OMG! I wondered what that was all over my windshield.

Gray and black should not be plumbed together. That could be a real mess, especially if you dump while going down the road!
You can try the Geo Method to clear the tank but if you are still under warranty check with your dealer/repair service about a fix. Something may be plugged.

Owenfamily

You can try to put some good orange tank cleaner in the tank with it about half full. Once you do that travel to your next stop then dump it. The walls and sensor will sometimes get junk around them and by allowing the cleaner to slush around while you travel is a good way to break everything up.

David

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
For the most part, the guages are inaccurate. Sometimes the lean side to side will cause the tanks not to empty all the way.

ceharris21

Thanks guys all helpful info...we were told by the dealer that the 2nd bathroom toilet n sink were plumbed together along with our kitchen sink...

Help???

Lynn1130

Anything is possible but that would surprise me. In looking at the specs for your unit you should have 2 gray and 1 black tank. Assuming that everything is empty right now open the rear gray valve and run water in the rear bath sink. If water comes out you know where your sink is draining. In either case shut the water off and run the kitchen sink and see what happens. Or, just call Heartland tomorrow morning and ask.

I have 2 gray tanks. The front tank holds shower and lav water. The rear holds washing machine (which I don't have) and kitchen sink water. Nothing other than the toilet goes to the black tank. Your tank capacities are the same as mine, including freshwater. The specs say 82 gal gray but that is misleading because it is two 41 gal tanks that are not connected.

ceharris21

So I called heartland customer service...spoke with a rep...and he looked at a diagram of our tanks for our unit and said our 2nd bath toilet and sink and kitchen sink are plummed to our 2nd grey tank and master shower sink and w/d is in grey tank #1 sooooo if this is against rvia standards why is heartland doing it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if I have ever read anything 'official' about RVIA standards with regard to holding tanks.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's an RVIA diagram of a typical plumbing system. Note the sink and toilet draining into the black tank.
rvia plumbing diagram.jpg

Lynn1130

About the first question, I am a little unclear as to whether your tanks are not draining completely or the gauge is not reading correctly. If there is still fluid left in the tank(s) you will probably have to find the blockage. I have never done that so will defer to the experts here on the site. I do not know if you can snake from the dump valve or not.

danemayer's diagram is ok, but I believe that you have two gray tanks and my earlier explanation of what goes where was the info customer service gave me for the Cyclone. I don't have a rear toilet but can see where they might have plumbed that sink to the black. I would be real surprised if they plumbed the toilet to either of the gray tanks (because it then is no longer a gray tank). I am still thinking that the fastest way to clear that up is open the valve to one tank at a time and turn water on at different sinks. If your black tank is very clean you could do that with that one also but you could get a surprise if the tank has not been flushed well.

Last edited:

ceharris21

The tank will not drain below 2/3 on the guage...I don't see how there could be any blockage with only water going down the sink n shower.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I don't even bother with the guages anymore. Even after a thorough black tank flush, the guage will still read at least 1/4 and often 1/2. Goes to 3/4 within a day. It's just the nature of the beast. Gray water tanks will do the same due to food particles, soap scum, etc. I just listen for tell-tale sounds (burping noises - wife is very good at hearing them on the gray side. We can fill one of the gray tanks pretty quickly if we are using the washer a lot.) I try to empty every couple of days.

Lynn1130

At this point, and I assume the unit is still under warranty, you may want to contact your local Heartland repair service to see if there is repair coverage but as said above none of those gauges are very accurate.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Wow, if the the grey tank in the rear of the Cylone is plumbed where the sink and toliet flow into the tank doesn't that now become a black tank? Just wondering. And no I would never drain a black tank going down the road. A gray tank ... welll that depends on where I am.

scottb

i have a road warrior and all the dump levers say grey. 2 in the front and one for the back bath. im not sure there might be another pull for the black tanks. im new to this life , first one qnd only had it 2 weeks.