Curt Q5 20k 5th wheel hitch/2013 Cyclone 3010/GMC 2500 HD, 4wheel, Duramax-long/reg bed

Just bought my first 5th wheel after owning 2 class As and an Eggcamper and trailering some large boats....

Its a 2013 Cyclone 3010 being towed by a new 2012 GMC 2500 HD, 4 dr, 4 wheel, duramax. Long/reg bed

The Curt Q-5 20K, after reading the forum seemed to be a favorite.... of long beds haulers and the place to buy was Tweety's.

My question is which model to you order.. the one whose height adjust from 13.5 to 17.5 inches or the one that adjust from 17.5 inches to 21.5 inches....

All help appreciated.

Regards,

John Hill

jimtoo

Hi John,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get some help from other owners shortly.

Enjoy the forum and your new toys when you get it all set up.

Jim M

porthole

Retired
The Curt's are good hitches and Tweety's is a great place to buy.
Can't help you with the height though.

You will probably want to consider air bags for the truck. With my GMC, AirLift was my air bag of choice. Larger then the firestone bags so they will do the same lift with less air. Gives a better ride.

Its 4 wheel with z71 suspension... Its riding high in the rear, will ride better with a load... I think I will wait till I tow it, and then decide... another 1K with an auto controller and installation right now will break the bank as I'm going all cash,,, I think the more important immediate need would be the tire sensors, spray lining, Navigation system.... and the Curt q5 20K... If my friends freebee hitch is good as the Curt, then , I will do the air bags now...

Thanks, I looked in to airlift and Air ride.. price difference betwen the two is not material, so I will go with the airlift you recommended if/when I make that move.. My 2500 mile trip, should make me come to a quick conclusion...lol.. If its a bad ride, I guess I will have to do it on the trip...

As it is I added a rear A/C, the gulf coast is hot, 3 TV swing mounts. 2nd power awning... and a SAT dish... and JT stabilizer struts all around..

Boats and Rvs are like a woman, its not the hull that cost you, its the rigging...

After my first trip , and if the ride is harsh, I will look into the air bags.

Thanks again...

truknutt

Committed Member
You have the use of your friend's freebie hitch in YOUR truck now? You need to hitch up that Cyclone and start measuring. Get the 3010 as level as you can and then start playing with the height of the loaner hitch. Remember to have your toys in the garage just as you will be towing the unit down the road. Weight in the garage removes weight from the pin/hitch. This should tell you which Curt hitch you need; my money's on the 13.5" to 17.5" model.

porthole

Retired
It won't be the ride as much as bringing the truck back to level and getting your headlights out of the stars.

Just about everyone on the forum that tows a Cyclone has air bags, SRW 250/2500's up to DRW 350/3500's, even some 450's have them.

iPhone using Tapatalk

trvlrerik

I have an in bed fuel tank that sits taller than my bed rails by 3", so I raised my hitch up by 2" to maintain a 6" clearance when I back in at high angles. Right now my hitch is 14.25" off of the bed floor. My fuel tank is 23.5" tall from the bed. When I raised my hitch it caused a slight "nose high" angle of my trailer. I do have air bags to keep my truck level (and my truck is tall). This made me then adjust the shackles on my trailer to their highest setting to get the trailer to ride and sit level.

I have found that weight in the toy box or water and fuel tanks does not effect the ride hight of the trailer very much. It does effect the pin weight a lot but airbags keep the truck at a consistant level.

My main considerations are keeping bed clearances consistant, trailer riding level and headlights shining on the road. It can be a challenge to keep everything in balance. I do think the shorter curt hitch will work for you, in my opinion you should get your airbags then get a hitch with an eye that down the road you may change the hight when you add toys. I am learning to keep everything adjustable to make changes when my situations change.

Have fun with your camper, I have found that playing with it and adjusting things is part of the fun.