Cyclone 4250

Denali46

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Cyclone 4250. My question is if my truck is capable of towing it, I own a 2015 GMC Denali 3500 crew cab SRW. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi Denali46,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A Cyclone 4250 has a GVWR of 20,000, and an empty pin weight spec of 3,650 lbs. For planning purposes, you'll want to assume the actual pin weight will come in at about 20% of GVWR, or 4,000. To that, you need to add the weight of your hitch, bed cover, bed liner, tools, firewood, passengers, pets, and anything else carried in the truck. That'll probably put you well over the payload spec of the truck.

Will it pull it? Yep. Safely? Maybe, maybe not. You may want a dually.

You can get more information on this subject at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website created by another Heartland owner.

Storm1972

I would say you definelty would want a dually, unless of course your comfortable with white knuckle driving all the time, mines a 4200 tried it once with a swd 1 tonne, not a pleasant experience, picked up a megacab dually and don't even notice behind me anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denali46

Hi Denali46,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

A Cyclone 4250 has a GVWR of 20,000, and an empty pin weight spec of 3,650 lbs. For planning purposes, you'll want to assume the actual pin weight will come in at about 20% of GVWR, or 4,000. To that, you need to add the weight of your hitch, bed cover, bed liner, tools, firewood, passengers, pets, and anything else carried in the truck. That'll probably put you well over the payload spec of the truck.

Will it pull it? Yep. Safely? Maybe, maybe not. You may want a dually.

You can get more information on this subject at Fifth Wheel Safe Towing, a website created by another Heartland owner.

Thank you for informative reply, too much camper for my truck. Maybe I can find a cyclone with a lower dry weight.

Storm1972

Just putting it out there as I have tried lol, learnt my lesson after about 30 km, and went right to a dually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You will find most CY have heavy pin and GVW weight. I would not pull any of them with a SRW. You need a DRW.

HDT!
cool.png

Last edited:

Joedoo1

My wife and I are considering purchasing a Cyclone 4250. My question is if my truck is capable of towing it, I own a 2015 GMC Denali 3500 crew cab SRW. Thanks in advance.
I purchased a 4250 in July and have been pulling it off and on with 2012 F-350 single axle with 6 in lift 37/12.50/20's and handles it like a dream.

Sarge

You can pull it. However stopping it and controlling it in severe wind / weather is another topic entirely.

Upgrade your truck to a dually diesel for the safety of your family and yourself...

Sarge

Joedoo1

You can pull it. However stopping it and controlling it in severe wind / weather is another topic entirely.

Upgrade your truck to a dually diesel for the safety of your family and yourself...

Sarge
Sarge oviosly you didn't see where I was from NorthDakota the wind never stops blowing here and as far as stopping and in control never a problem, maybe when I'm retired and old I'll switch to a dually.

Securityman

Hey 46 , I will say my peace , lol , I used to tow a bumper pull toy hauler 27 feet with a new tundra 5.7 , all within spec of the truck . It was ok , I didn't know anything else , white knuckle a few times yes , I did a lot of research on here before buying a new truck wanting to upgrade to a 5th wheel toy hauler . Very helpful people on this site , I knew I didn't want to be at the max payload or be worried about putting to much in the truck , and the safety of my family . I wanted a easy towing experience pulling all this weight and controlling it. So I went with a ram dually 3500 2015 and a 2015 3110 and couldn't be happier !! I know it isn't as big as the 3 axles ones but I know I am well within safety of my towing and payload of the truck . And tows like its on rails , I will never own a bumper pull ever again !! 😀 And driving a dually is no big deal compared to a reg truck anymore , I like it , I think the Rams look great as a dually the way they do the rear fenders !!

jam20ster

I'm 36 and will never drive anything but a dually. My reasons are not only for the towing/safety aspect, but for the entire safety of everyday driving. Some people say its way more than you need and they are probably right, but when I spend $50K or more on a truck whats a few more thousand for piece of mind and security.

Oh and i have hauled my cyclone 4200 with both a SRW and DRW and there is no comparison. DRW all the way!